Opinions on Changing Registered Name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dreaminmini

Reaction score
I'm just wondering peoples thoughts on this. We recently got a 3 year old mini gelding. We have all his registration (AMHR) paperwork filled out by his breeder but the previous owner (not the breeder) never sent them in. I was told that we could change his name. I like his name so don't plan to change it.

BUT, obviously on the papers his name is prefixed with the breeders farm name. Should this stay on? I was told it could be removed. Or should I ask the breeders if that's what they would like? I'm leaning toward leaving his name with the farm name as it is. I plan on showing him in probably country pleasure next year and maybe some showmanship and/or halter classes this year.

Do most breeders keep track of their offspring, even to drop them a line and say who has him now and how he is doing? I have been on their website and they still own both his parents.

Thanks in advance for any opinions, thoughts or advice.

In this case, I probably wouldn't change the farm name, but that's just me. The breeder probaby believed the original purchaser would send in the application. In the past, I have sometimes used my prefix when I've "hardshipped" horses into AMHR off the AMHA papers.

Personally, I don't plan to sell any foals on application so no one's going to be sitting there with an unregistered Whinny For Me horse that I had spent years planning wondering if they should change the farm name... Sounds like sloppy or cheap work on the part of the breeder, in my opinion.

However, if the name's already filled out on the registration application, I think any changes would require (and SHOULD require) initials from the breeder as they're the ones who had the authority to and did sign the application.

I don't believe any alterations are allowed on the application (correct me if I'm wrong!) so his name will be as written unless you were to get a new application from the breeder.

As I recall, one colt I bought a few years ago had initially had his name written down as one thing...it was a name I had picked, with the breeder's prefix. When the breeder delivered this colt, she had the paperwork along as she wanted my opinion on leg markings before she filled in the papers (Colt's coloring made white markings very difficult to see at that stage of his life!) Because his coloring had changed from when we'd bought him at 1 month of age, I asked if she could put a different name down for 1st choice. She pulled out the white out fluid, slapped some on the application and wrote the new name over top. There was no problem with this sort of change going through AMHR.

So, I would have to say that AMHR at least isn't too particular about changes being made, unless they have tightened up their policy in the last 3 or 4 years. (In my place of work changes made with white out fluid are absolutely unacceptable, the ease of using white out fluid for AMHR paperwork was a little amazing to me!)
default_wacko.png

I am always amazed when people buy a miniature and have not received their paperwork completed. I understand it on newborns. We often sell them before they are weaned and the paperwork may still be pending from AMHA. Most of this delay is that I Parentage Qualify the foals and that delays the completed paperwork. This is my doing and does not reflect AMHA's being slow.

But I agree with Jill that I think it is sloppy paperwork on the breeders part. Not changing the ownership was sloppy on the original new owners part though. So the third owner is now having to clean up the paperwork and there can be problems that will have to be resolved.

I do think that the original name will have to be used unless the newest owner gets in touch with the breeder and they issue new paperwork. There will, of course, be late fees involved.

Thanks, guys. It would make sense to leave it. I guess it was sort of a silly question...I just got to wondering because it was mentioned by the previous owner.

As a breeder would you want to know if a horse you bred changes ownership or is it not a big deal? The reason I am asking is that I have a couple of friends who are dog breeders and they like to keep tracks of the pups they breed and how they develop and their health and when they pass on. Wasn't sure if like that with horses.

Thanks again.
default_biggrin.png

As a breeder would you want to know if a horse you bred changes ownership or is it not a big deal?

Yes, I for sure want to know!!! I actually like to check and see "where" any horse I've owned is currently. However, some horses that I have sold have not ever been transferred out of my name (which makes me sad, but nothing I can do about it). But, for the foals I breed, I will even more so want to know where they are and keep in touch as much as the new owner wishes. These babies mean a lot to me and I feel a huge responsibility to them.

In AMHR if there are papers on a foal or mini - you cannot change the name without the breeder's written permission. Maybe that's not the way it is in AMHA?

But - if there were no papers put in yet, you can change the name choice. That was the breeder's fault for not completing the paperwork.

As for your conscience - that's a choice you need to make, if you are comfortable with it, great!

But - if there were no papers put in yet, you can change the name choice. That was the breeder's fault for not completing the paperwork.
I don't think that's possible though if the breeder has completed and signed the registration application. In that case, you are bound to what the breeder's filled in unless you get with the breeder and have them initial or sign a new application.

I ALWAYS use my farm prefix and I REGISTER the horses when they leave here or are paid in full.I collect the fees for transfer and do the photos and send in the paperwork since many NEWBIES are not familiar with the process. I have the papers sent to the new owners.I usually call at 3 years and 5 years to remind them it is time to do Permanent papers. I like to keep track of "MY Babies" and try to keep in touch.When I was breeding dogs for almost 42 years I did the same thing.To me a farm prefix is a sort of identification and recognition of a particular breeder and their reputation.

I'm in a bit of the same boat. I just bought a little 2 yr old mare that is supposed to be dbl registerable in both Amhr and AHMA. Her papers haven't ever been sent in and I recieved the filled in apps from the breeder. The name choices were already filled in on both apps and honestly I'd like to change 'em but didn't know if I could or not. I got as a 3rd party I guess you'd call it from a horse trader, and think at the moment I do have th breeders phone number but am not gonna call 'em on Father day. LOL

I feel I paid the money for this horse becuase I liked him/her so much, that I feel I should be proud representing the farm that he/she was bred from. And I do. Makes the breeders happy to sell to me becuase I show that horse just like I bred him/her myself. Promotes my showing ability and the breeders ability to breed such an awesome horse.
default_biggrin.png
I think you should honor that breeder and leave the name as it is and register the guy and take him out to the show ring.
default_wub.png

I check up on horses I've sold. May not have come from my farm, but I like to make sure they are happy and healthy. I've also contacted the breeders and told them I've purchased their horse. And every year after the show season, I send them reports of how their baby did. They are always so happy to hear how their babies are doing!
default_wub.png

Thanks everyone!
default_biggrin.png

I had never planned on changing his name because I like it. "Peek A Boo" Just wasn't sure about the breeders farm prefix. I had figured on leaving it for the same reasons as stated by others in that it honours the breeders. It was more wondering what the choices are and being a newbie was unsure whether they would still want there name on there or not...now that I write that, it sounds kinda stupid. :DOH!
default_wink.png

I did end up emailing the breeders this morning but haven't heard anything from them yet. But today is a busy day being Father's Day. We just got back from playing with our "hooved" son.
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back