Opinions Needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
I have been conditioning my mare over the last four weeks. I took her to a show last Sunday and she looked great. Well, I decided this week to step up her exercise and now her stomach from the side looks bulked up. I'm not sure if it's the result of too much exercise, too much hay or grain. She is set to show next Saturday. Any ideas appreciated. This was a personal goal I've had for years...,
default_sad.png

You can't do too much exercise.

Photos would help us.

Chances are one week will make negligible difference, even a month change is minor.

I wish it was possible, I've been killing myself at the gym for a month and only lost 5pounds!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, I can't post any photos because only my phone Internet is working. I agree about the exercise but was slightly concerned since this is the only variable I changed. Thank you for your response.

Good for you for "going for your goal"! I was the same way - just had to do it myself to prove to myself that I could.

Hard to know about your filly without pics - hopefully your internet will be working soon so we can all see your girl!

I feel like I am constantly adjusting feed on my show horses. And I do give them more feed when I work them more.

Good luck to you! :eek:)

I'm having the same issues with my mare and even tho she is getting worked with 6 days a week going back and forth between round penning and driving for Nationals I had to reduce her feed because she was just getting too heavy. She is looking great now. But all year I had to adjust how much to give her.

Hi Deb! what is she being fed and how much and what kind of exercise? was more exercise the only change?

I tried to take some photos of the bulge that I was seeing on the her sides but it did not show up. Debby, I'm exercising her with my golf cart for 20 minutes at a long trot with some cantering. I have been feeding her Strategy and 2nd cutting hay. We have had a lot of visitors here so goodness knows......maybe some kids are giving her extra hay when I'm not looking. She does look better today so not sure if she was bloated or what. Goodness, I miss my Quarter Horses who were super easy to figure out, LOL!

Karen, see you at the show.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back