Opinions needed on my colt..pics added

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mini horse mania

Reaction score
Here is money in motion....i bought him to use as a future stallion @3 mo. Old. He is a max white pinto.he goes back to a lot of LTD breeding. What do you think of his conformation...honestly.?he is 8 mos old now.added pics..lack of cooperation.lol

IMG_20120602_164740.jpg

IMG_20120602_164723.jpg

IMG_20120603_111227.jpg

IMG_20120603_111507.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I will take some more..i will talk dh into holding him for me.
default_smile.png

Not as much as we used to be...we have 30 now,...its crazy when you spend.$5000 on a buck...then he geta mad when I buy a mini...we have sold kids for $600_$1000 ea. Before,but when you lose a two thousNd dollar goat..it hurts bad..were stayin with the meat ones from now on. .....and minis
default_smile.png
...lesson learned..

The new photos are far better, thanks for posting them.

I will give you my honest critique since you asked... To me he is very far from stallion quality and even as a gelding, may not place well in halter (conformation) classes.

The things which strike me first are:

He has a very plain head. Although if you ask ME the head isn't the first thing to look at, but the majority of minis have at least a short or dishy head which is so desirable. A stallion should have a pleasing head since he's going to be breeding so many mares. If you ONLY are breeding for driving minis and the stallion can knock your socks off in Pleasure classes, then a plain head is more acceptable in my book because "you don't drive the head."

Secondly, he has a very low neck set, it comes low out of his chest. This is very undesirable for both halter and driving horses.

Thirdly, he is not well angulated in the hind legs, which again is undesirable for halter or driving horses.

I don't know if you are looking to breed pretty horses or driving horses, but I suggest that this might not be the stallion to give you either of them.

If you need more detail, I would be happy to lend my eye.

Andrea

I like his color, his length of leg and length of neck. I think his short comings are his head being straight, long and with smallish eyes, a low set neck, and weak hip. I really don't think he is what will do well in competition in halter class, nor cut out for breeding. I'm sure there are plenty of other things he would do well in, though!

Not stallion material, will make a nice gelding. I think he will clean up when he gets older. To me right now it looks like he is going thru the yearling uglies but I still don't think he will mature into a nice breeding prospect for you.

He definately looks like a gangly teenager, might be hard to see what he'll turn out to be till he's older.

I will have to agree with Disneyhorse. He is not stallion or any kind of show material.(sorry, but you asked for honest opinions). His head is very plain, neck is set on his shoulders wrong, not well balanced at all. Because of his week rear and straight stifles he would not be able to move right for any driving classes. His kind of conformation would give a jarring trot of he was big enough to ride. He may not be stallion or show material, but he would still make a nice pet.

sorry to say I agree with some of the others, his neck is set too low, his head is too long, his back is not flat enough, his rear legs are not angled enough, his hip is poor, his tail set too low. He may make agood pet horse for a kid to show 4-H or open, the pictures don't show his front end or hind, so hopefully he doesn't toe out, so can still be shown open. As a breeder I would pass him by. sorry not to hurt your feelings and really feel bad for offering my opinion, but you did ask.

Thank you everyone..i purchased him as a breeding prospect and was told he would show well by a fellow breeder and by the breeder of this horse himself...i guess I will keep my lil colt that was born recently instead..i was hoping to use mo...as his pedigree is awesome,his temperament is great... and his color .

Awwww...he's cute. But definitely gelding material. If I were you I'd geld him and keep him as a buddy
default_smile.png
. Geldings rock!

Last edited by a moderator:
Always, always always ask for at least one photo that shows the horse's conformation. Foals can be hard to judge of course, but that photo really showed nothing more than a cute baby. If you look at it in terms of conformation that photo says run away. If I were trying to sell a foal I would never use that photo, nor would I buy from that photo.

Thank you everyone..i purchased him as a breeding prospect and was told he would show well by a fellow breeder and by the breeder of this horse himself...i guess I will keep my lil colt that was born recently instead..i was hoping to use mo...as his pedigree is awesome,his temperament is great... and his color .
Unfortunately, although color/pedigree/personality are nice things to have in a breeding stallion, they should always come secondary to conformation and athleticism.

It's always a learning process!

Good luck to you,

Andrea

I agree with the previous assessments.

I'm sorry you purchased an animal as a breeding prospect that really isn't of that quality at all. I think there's a chance you were told he had certain qualities that he just doesn't. Sadly, and I'm speaking based on knowledge of the breeder of that horse, you are not the only customer to find themselves in this situation.

I think your colt Domino is considerably nicer than this one you posted pics of!

I agree with the previous assessments.

I'm sorry you purchased an animal as a breeding prospect that really isn't of that quality at all. I think there's a chance you were told he had certain qualities that he just doesn't. Sadly, and I'm speaking based on knowledge of the breeder of that horse, you are not the only customer to find themselves in this situation.

I think your colt Domino is considerably nicer than this one you posted pics of!
Thanks..I'm glad im not the only one dooped by him..and the prices...i have learned my lesson..seems like all the horses that breeder sells would be good for show..breeding or a pet...i will take pictures of domino and post them later.its hard to judge your own horse seeing them everyday.

Heya,

I would say that he is definitely not stallion quality - honest opinion sorry.

He has a low neck set and a very plain head. He does have a good length of leg (from what I seen) however, but overall he doesn't appeal to me as stallion material.

I would suggest gelding him as a pet
default_smile.png
I don't think he would even he would do ok in the show ring as a gelding either sorry.

It's very hard to buy 'stallion quality' at a foal, sometimes even for an expert. Next time when you buy for stallion quality, take an expert, or look for an older horse. Don't listen to the seller if they tell you the foal will be 'stallion quality', they will tell you anything to sell their horse!
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back