Opinions, experiences sought on Mac computers....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I import and open text documents and other files created on PC into Mac page layout programs every day. Word and other text programs, Excel, Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Adobe Acrobat, Pagemaker are no problem whatsoever. And if you have the same application on your Mac that you had on your PC, (such as Word), you can just open it, no importing necessary.

Different versions of software can be problematic, but if you're buying a new unit with new software, chances are you won't run into any problems. Occasionally one of my clients will update their software before I do, but even then, there is almost always a work-around. (I've opened some unbelievable files at 2am when the project is going to print the next day.)

About the only Windows application that has given me fits trying to open or import is Powerpoint, but I finally wrote into my contract that anyone sending Powerpoint files will die, so for some reason I haven't seen any lately. They may have improved that -- I don't know.

I started out with Macs - and then suffered through a few years of PCs. And I do mean suffered. I was finally able to get back to a Mac and have NO issues - no more blue screens of death, nothing.

NOTHING compares to the graphics/desk top publishing programs used on a Mac. They were made for it. I was doing DTP on Macs back in 1988 when PCs were only speaking in DOS and floundering along in the Dark Ages.

Not much of a difficult learning curve to a Mac - the Mac desktop IS Windows - Microsoft just "borrowed" the idea. You will have it figured out in no time - far faster than dealing with Windows 8.

Last edited by a moderator:
We are in the media/publishing business and we love our Macs. They are really worth their weight in gold. We've never had a virus and they last forever, and ever and ever. Go for it, you will be in love!!!

One you go Mac you'll never come back.......to a PC that is. I agree with all above. My iMac is 4 years old and my laptop is 3 and I have never had one seconds worth of trouble with either of them. I was also very skeptical about switching......thinking that you could not teach and old dog new tricks. No problem. Well, the problem is that it is so easy that sometimes you make a much bigger deal out of it than it is.......like you have to with a PC. Hope that makes sense. Don't be scared!
default_ohnoes.jpg
Just do it! You will kick yourself for not doing it sooner.

MANY thanks for all your input! I am convinced! My son will work on helping me with the details, and finding the best deal(any tips on THAT end?)

I look forward to first, getting faster service(over dial-up; finally there are some better choices out here in the boonies!), THEN to going over to the 'Mac side'!!

Margo

Get at least a MacBook pro if you are doing a laptop. Research all your options before you buy so you get the computer that fits you the best.

Latest posts

Back