Opinions a Pregnant Mare..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devon

Reaction score
Ok I wasnt going to make one of these posts about Miss Fashion. But Im wondering your opinions; and experiences
default_yes.gif
She was out in the field with stallion from April to May( We bought her bred). She was ultrasounded in foal and they couldnt tell how far along. They said they saw her being bred in May and I think she may of caught in may. So 2 weeks ago her bag got a little tighter its not big but tight; but you could only get maybe 1cc of milk if you tried. then last weekend she got yellowy liquid milk. Mid week she got really sticky yellow milk not watery but also not thick like syrup... And it is plentiful it squirts out in a stream but no dripping when she walks. Teats not directly down. So we did a milk test beginning of the week it was 31/2 squares.. wednesday we did one we got 4 squares .. last night we did one and we got 1 square! And we were completely sterile with it and everything was set up correctly we triple checked. So how many of you have had mares go backward in tests. How would you try to gage how far along she may be. Im losing alot of sleep last 2 weeks thinking she was going to foal , Im really starting to miss my sleep
default_biggrin.png
but its worth it! Anyways any opinions.. shes a maiden mare. She also was really loose mid week and puffy and red; then she got less loose. Last week her tail head is VERY loose can go any way no resistance. But top of her bum isn't to gushy.

Thanks guys

I appreciate your help ALOT.

2 days ago

36.5 " Maiden Mare

Turning 3 this year

fashfoal1.jpg

maiden mares are so dang tricky. The most reliable thing I have found is that when the bag gets hard and hot a foal usually appears that night/day. I stopped using strips a couple years ago. But when I did I used pool strips and teh PH is the biggest indicator. Do yours measure PH?? Its not uncommon for them to go backwards

I use the Predict-A-Foal package?

This is so frustrating
default_rolleyes.gif

LOL but worth it in the end
default_wub.png

it is nice to know about how far along they are though makes life a tiny but easier :DOH!

Ill never know how many days shes at so next time i breed her I will still have to watch intensly :DOH!

im on marestare myself tonight LOL. I long for nights of sleeping all the way thru but I have 4 mares to foal out.

Having firm dates helps a lot and this is why we are so diligent in writing down dates and only letting ours breed when we watch.

I have never used those so Im no help. With the pool strips when the PH suddenly drops you know your mare is going to foal very soon

Sending good thoughts

Back