Opinion on trailering a mini for a long distance, please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MiniHunterHorseFan

Reaction score
There is a person who would like to buy a mini from me, but he would have to be shipped from Texas to North Carolina with a shipper. I heard that the shippers do not stop to walk the horses around but drive straight through. My horse has never been driving more than 4 or 5 hours straight without a nights rest. I'm a little concern about shipping him because on a trailer horses have to constantly keep their balance and don't get a chance to rest. What is your opinion on this? I want what is in the best interest for my horse.
default_yes.gif

We recently hauled horses 12 hrs ughh. To me its better to go and get to the destination then to keep stopping and make the trip longer. Now having said that if I was going to do more then 12 I would stop for the night and let the horses rest. 12 is the most we will do in one day with horses. We did stop and check them offer water etc but then drove on. Also these horses knew each other and we had a big enough trailer so that they could all ride together without being tied which I think also makes it easier and less stressful.

Feeding soaked beet pulp before a long trip is a good tip too because most horses wont drink while they are hauling

several years ago I sold a young stallion to someone in CA,.I live about 20 miles form the Atlantic Ocean and the buyer lives about 5 miles from the Pacific Ocean.He was hauled by Cox Transport and arrived in fine shape.I worried lots, but he was fine.Good luck

We haul a trailer full every year from NC to Ft Worth for the world show, we have never had any problems and we never take them off. We do however, stop often to fuel up and we feed them on the trailer with a lot of very wet beet pulp. Our horses arrive to the show in great shape and arrive back home the same way. I prefer not to take anyone off the trailer unless its an emergency because of the unknowns involved in stopping in an unfamiliar area. Anything could happen if they get off the trailer. Just make sure the shipper provides plenty of water during stops and the horse should haul just fine.

Alright, thanks. I just didn't want him to get really tired of standing up and get exhausted. He likes to lay down a lot and they can't do that in the trailer... But if lots of other horses handle it fine without collapsing, then he should be okay.

We recently had two young miniatures hauled a distance that was suppose to take 5 days to arrive at their destination.

It took two weeks, ( many set-backs to that story)
default_new_shocked.gif
But they arrived healthy and well padded.

Before they left,- I insisted that the driver take along a 120 pound bale of the grass hay they were use to,

so the buyer would have some to mix into her hay.

( but as it turned out they ended up eating it all,- along the way.
default_rolleyes.gif

Domingo was on the trailer for 3 days to get home and arrived in great shape. He was on Ulcergard before, during, and after the trip. I also gave probiotics after he got home, and continued him on the same feed he was on at his old home.

I would suggest asking potential shippers about their policies on hauling horses long distances.

Some will stop every so many hours. One we used was on the road approximately 20-24 hours, then they stopped at a layover barn, unloaded the horses for the night, next morning they loaded up & continued on--our horse only had 2 hours on the trailer after they resumed their trip. Another hauler that we have used stops every night--she drives 12-14 hours and then stops for the night; the horses get unloaded at a layover barn. These shippers use the same layover barns every trip, so they know the facility and owners can be assured that their horses are being well looked after at these barns.

Find out if the shipper makes the trip as direct as possible, or if they will pick up your horse and then zigzag all over the country picking up/dropping off horses--your horse might be moving only 500 miles away from home, but he'll ride 2000 miles on the trailer while the rig travels all over the map. Choose a shipper that is making the trip following a specific route.

Some haulers do offer box stalls, which would afford your horse the opportunity to lie down while in transit. (Some horses will lie down while on the moving trailer, others won't) Be sure to ask what kind of stall is available for a Mini on the shipper's trailer--you may not want him to be put into a common area with other horses, particularly if they happen to be full size horses (some haulers do have just 2 or 3 compartments on their trailer, and the animals all ride together in a group in each compartment. Others offer individual stalls.) Find out if the dividers are set up for minis, or if they are full size horse dividers, which may not be suitable for minis. (too high--mini can fit under the divider).

If you're concerned about how your horse will be shipped, it pays to ask lots of questions, don't just assume that haulers are all the same and the one that is selected will haul horses the way you assume they will be hauled.

Latest posts

Back