Open Show Questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RockRiverTiff

Reaction score
Have you guys ever heard the riddle about the chicken, the fox, and the grain? My life got all slapstick a couple weeks ago, and I missed the only mini show I planned to attend this year. I now have four bored junior horses standing around looking nice for no one. I saw a flier the other day for the county fair's Western show, and being the glutton for punishment that I am, I thought "Why not?"

Are you ready for the thread that never ends? Here's my conundrum:

At first glance, I saw the first class is the pony class. Seemed like an obvious choice, but they also made it 12 and under. I've missed that train, so it leaves me with the open classes:

Weanling/Yearling

Two and Three Year Old

Light Horse

Stock Type

County Horse/Handler

Championship

Here's where I need your opinions. The last time I took a mini to an open show, they definitely preferred the Quarter type (if you will) ones. Unfortunately, my old go-to guy is breeding this year and is in no shape to show off right now. If this were a mini show, I have one yearling filly that stands above the rest and would be the obvious choice, but she's very refined. Having shown my Arab to a Grand at this same show, I know the quality of horses that will be in the Light Horse class, and I actually feel we have a good shot, but can you take a mini into a class designed for riding horses in-hand? Furthermore, should I stick to the tried and true and start shaping up one of my more "classic" minis instead?

The catch with the filly is that it will be her first show and she's a nut when she's alone. I know the foals make for great publicity, but it's a jump out show, and I don't think I'd be comfortable leaving them tied alone--even with their dams--while I'm showing either. My other two show fillies are yearlings as well, so if I brought one it would just be as a companion to her. Do I drag someone along just for her, or do we consider this a training experience?

I have been mulling over this all day and figured I'd check in with you guys. Any other helpful hints you have would be greatly appreciated.

There's also costume later in the day, and I figure if I'm already humiliating myself I might as well go the whole way. Any costume ideas anyone?

LOL, so many questions....
default_biggrin.png

Sounds like your open shows have more options than ours. I took a gelding this spring - we have 3 mini halter classes, showmanship and in hand trail. My gelding won his halter class and went back in to stand reserve champion halter gelding over the big guys, which is always fun.
default_aktion033.gif

I'd say take the best you have, take a buddy for her and hopefully someone to help you watch them when you are in the ring. Enjoy.
default_smile.png

Jan

I say don't try to second guess the judges and take what you think is your best. Could you get someone to show a second yearling in the same class as your "best" one? That way they would both be happier, you don't leave anyone at the trailer, and you would get two of them in front of the judges.

LOL, so many questions....
default_biggrin.png
The sad thing is, this is the edited version! :DOH!

I say don't try to second guess the judges and take what you think is your best.
I have full faith the judges know a good horse when they see one, but this judge is a QH judge and in past open shows I've noticed their mini preference seems to reflect their full-sized breed preference (assuming they are otherwise correct).

I am still trying to track down someone to handle another horse--I agree with you guys that bringing another filly is my best option, and I already have a second one conditioned, but I don't know if she'll see the ring. My SO has kindly offered to request the day off work to help, but is adamant that he is not going in front of a crowd.

Thanks for the suggestions (and for reading through the entire mess of a post)!

I showed one of my minis in numerous open shows last year to get her used to showing and every judge was different. We showed in 2 and under classes as well as pony classes. i won some pony classes and in some i placed under the quarter ponies. the 2 and under classes actually were the more realistically placed classes, overall.

just take your horses and have fun and take it all with a grain of salt. i looked at it as experience for a green "chicken" horse and it helped her alot!

jennifer
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back