Oops! Now I've Done It!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylady

Reaction score
Blondie is my 11-month-old mini filly. Since she's so puppy-dog friendly, I thought it might be fun to teach her a few tricks. You know, make her earn all those carrots she's been helping me dispose of! Well, I started by just holding the carrot slice in my closed hand, making her wait for it (don't want anybody getting nipped by mistake!) One time, she nodded her head, and I said "Good girl!" and gave her the carrot. Doesn't take 'em long to catch on, does it? Now, when she sees me, or especially if she hears the carrot bag rattle, she starts nodding like a demented bobble-head! How do I teach her to do this, only on cue?
default_wacko.png

I'm no expert trainer and I am sure someone will come on here and give you more info. But I would say do not give her the treats if she initiates it and when she stops ask for it and then treat her. So she gets the message that she only gets the treat if you ask for the behavior first.

But I would love to see a video of the "demented bobblehead"
default_laugh.png
default_new_rofl.gif

Giggle giggle, that's cute.

I would also only offer treats when you have asked her to do it. She will soon catch on. Just ignore her 'tricks' at other times.

I would also love to see a video of this!

You need to put it on cue, and never, EVER, not even once, no matter HOW GOOD IT IS, treat her off-cue. I would also ask for a different behavior if she starts doing it. For example, backing up. Or head lowering. Something that she can't nod at the same time...training an incompatible behavior.

Read the book, "Don't Shoot the Dog," by Karen Pryor.
default_yes.gif

One of the biggest problems that novice trainers have is inadvertently creating "suspicious" behavior or behavior chains. These can be a real pain to train out of! Reading that book will really help you solidify your understanding of the concepts.

Hope that helps!

Clickmini nailed it so I won't repeat her good advice. All I can say is "be careful what the first behavior you teach is!" The first trick I taught Kody with a clicker was to put his foot up on something. Now he can't walk by a bucket or stool or bale of anything without wanting to stop and throw his foot on it!
default_rolleyes.gif
I learned enough to train him out of it, but it's still the first thing he defaults to for goodies if there's an object around. A better behavior to start with would have been standing quietly or watching me with his ears up.
default_wink.png

Leia

Choose a cue and give it while she nods, then treat her. Then give the cue before she nods, and if she nods, treat her. Do not give her a treat if you do not ask for the trick. If she does the bobble-head repeatedly while you stand with her, turn away. Or, as ClickMini said, ask for something else so that she CAN'T do the bobble head.

Have fun, training tricks is really fun!

Rebecca

I know, I shouldn't have started this without a game plan. At this point, I only wanted to teach her "don't nip the hand with the carrot." But then the head bob happened, and I thought, "well, it's cute. It's not dangerous (like rearing) or annoying (like pawing) so let's go with it now, and shape it later." I've been trying to get her to only do it when I say "Say yes." I tried for an incompatible behavior with "Say no." BIG mistake! Because she can nod her head and shake it at the same time (I told you she looks demented!)
default_rolleyes.gif

I suppose the good news here, is that I have a very apt pupil on my hands. Although just who is the pupil and who the teacher is certainly debatable at this point. Thanks a whole bunch, all of you, I guess I'd better do my homework before we go any further!
default_no.gif
default_yes.gif

I suppose the good news here, is that I have a very apt pupil on my hands. Although just who is the pupil and who the teacher is certainly debatable at this point.
:arg!
default_new_rofl.gif
:rofl
default_new_rofl.gif

Don't worry, we have all been there at one point or another! Every good trainer I have ever worked with has said, LEARN FROM MY MISTAKES!!!
default_wink.png

I can certainly understand your problem. I thought it was so cute when I would pick up my stallions back leg and he would sit down. "Good Horse" I would say. Believe me, that is not what Belinda said when she got him in the show ring or the farrier said when they did his feet.

I tried showing him once in a training class and someone told me I needed to pick up his back leg and pull it forward and all I could say....I know I should.

I think I got ya beat on this one.... when my Charm was 3 months old I thought it was cute when he'd lay down in my lap. He knows it's adorable. He is 3 years old now and STILL does it any chance he can. He has used this tactic now to get away with SO much. If he doesn't want to do something, he'll just lay down on you. The farrier got a kick out of it! .... the first time.
default_wink.png

Hey all you have is a demented bobblehead! My horse looks narcoleptic!
default_rolleyes.gif

Latest posts

Back