One year later

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albahurst

Reaction score
A year ago we sold (for very cheap) a nice little young stallion who had been a show horse as a yearling. The people who bought him have two young children. Tonight I got a call saying they want to know if I will take the horse back because it is now kicking. I certainly understand their concern- but this horse lived here for two or three years and never even tried to kick anybody. I would certainly not even sell a kicking horse to a family with young children. So, I am curious--- why do horses suddenly start kicking? I really don't know if he was gelded or not- I know they had talked about it. I also know that they do not do vaccinations, deworming or etc. Makes me wonder if his feet are even done. I think they probably should get rid of the horse.

Just curious as to the kicking-

Peggy

PS I found out about the vaccination and deworming issues months after the sale
default_sad.png
I will also not sell a horse in the future to someone if it will not have a buddy.

Update- Had a nice talk with the people- horse is not gelded yet! yikes-- and they had him in with big horses--double yikes! They have a couple who might take him who used to raise minis in the past and is now a middle aged couple. Sounds like a plan.

Thanks for the insight in the posts below.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am thinking its probably because of lack of ground work and handling? If they dont bother with vaccinations and deworming and possibly foot care I doubt they know how to treat his behavior issues.

I dont know if you want the horse back or not but I would take him back and try to find him a better home.

Sorry this has happened to you.

While it could be lack of companionship/frustration, I would most likely say it is lack of discipline/knowledge of how to maintain the upper hand with a horse. The other thing I need to ask, has this horse been gelded? IMO stallions do not make great family pets, esp. for the enexpeienced owner.

Carolyn

We had a similar situation. We sold a 3 1/2 yr old gelding to a family with several little boys. This gelding was so quiet and gentle that we thought they should all get along just fine. In fact, the family played with him and put their little guy on his back and gave him a ride. A year later, they see us at a tailgate swap meet and tell us that he started biting and being mean the day after they brought him home. They wanted to bring him back and get a mare for trade. After much talking, we found that they had gotten another mare and a stallion over the winter and wanted another mare for breeding as well as riding. I told them they could bring the gelding to my house and if he was in the same condition he was in when they got him, I would give them partial credit on a mare. If he had been in poor condition, I probably would have tried to get him back some way without selling them a mare. They were mad then because I wouldn't promiss them an even trade--without even seeing this horse after they had it nearly a year
default_new_shocked.gif
They must really think I am stupid. :stupid Hubby said I handled them a lot better than he would have. We were in a crowded place in public. I was quiet--yes==but very firm. They never came here or called. I did see them later at another swapmeet, put they steered a wide path around me.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to wonder how people come up with their "fair trade " ideas.

What is fair to one person sounds rediculous to another person.

Back