One Ticked Off Horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Katiean

Reaction score
Last week I took Dusty up to the Fair Grounds to clean him up while the show was here. I first went into the office and asked if it would be OK. I didn't want to be in the way but they said sure it would be fine. So I took my hairy beast in and gave him a good bath and stood him in the sun to dry. Another couple was there washing and clipping so between us, we decided to keep one of the bath stalls on the sunny side dry so we could clip there too. Anyway, long story short Dusty got body clipped. That was last week. Yesterday I went out a couple of times and the sun was shining and it was kinda warm. By feeding time he was COLD
default_new_shocked.gif
, Shivering
default_new_shocked.gif
, and Really really ticked off
default_new_shocked.gif
. I went and got a blanket and he was so ticked off he wouldn't let me near him with the blanket. I had to halter him and tie him to get the blanket on him. The last time he was blanketed which was the day after he was clipped, he took his blanket off. Over his head. This time he has left it on. It should be warm enough tomorrow to take the blanket off. He may still need it at night though. I have never seen a horse so ticked off.

Lol! My stallion used to like to play the "kill the blanket" game last year when I showed him. He also played the "buck off the tail bag with a flying kick and send it zooming 50 feet across the arena" game!!!
default_wacko.png
Boy he hated that tail bag. Never failed, he'd buck that thing clear across his pen every time.

My colt objected to the blanket for the first day or two...until he figured out he'd be a lot warmer with it on! Now after a day spent naked enjoying the warm sunshine he shivers his way through being groomed at evening feed but stands still as he knows that blanket's comin' if he can just be good.
default_biggrin.png
Took him awhile to figure out kicking at me as I brush him just delays the blanket.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

we had the same problem here...beautiful warm sunny days until the horses were clipped ..then SNOW, and lots of rain. We are on our 3rd week of fog and rain
no.gif
. My mare is very high strung, and sometimes hates blanket time . I started giving her cookies at blanket time. One cookie before the stall blanket comes off, another when it is off, and another when the turnout blanket is on. now when she sees the blanket she comes running to me in the pasture , no halters needed. This worked very well for me.
yes.gif

Katiean you are so brave! I am dying to clip out, but I am over here on the Northern California coast and we will have a few sunny days (some with a LOT of wind), then a couple of days of 1-2 inches of rain, then sun again. My mares do not know whether to start ovulating or not!

I am glad for shedding blades, fur busters and wire brushes to at least get some of that hair off them.

They are still calling for rain next week! What happened to spring????

Katiean you are so brave! I am dying to clip out, but I am over here on the Northern California coast and we will have a few sunny days (some with a LOT of wind), then a couple of days of 1-2 inches of rain, then sun again. My mares do not know whether to start ovulating or not!

I am glad for shedding blades, fur busters and wire brushes to at least get some of that hair off them.

They are still calling for rain next week! What happened to spring????
I am not that far from you. I am in the Northern Nevada area. It is supposed to be warm by now. We live in the desert! I think they took Spring out of the budget. We are supposed to hit the 80's by this weekend. I was thinking of clipping all of my horses and then I thought, "I don't have that many heavy blankets". I am going to take some pictures of his back and you guys can tell me if you think it is appy spots he has or lacing like his mom has. He is by a blanketed appy and his mother has characteristics. Well, he does too. But that will be another topic.

I am only an hour from Idaho border and I head and necked my little ones because they were all sweating a couple weeks ago! Yesterday we got 18 inches of snow!!! I couldn't believe it! Then our barn cam went out. We were out in the snow and cold last night trying to figure out what was wrong, shivering, it was really cold! At 11:00 pm we gave up. I was praying Missy wouldn't decide to bag up and foal in a few hours time. Thankfully she is still foalfat and sassy with a perfectly happy smug little face. Now DH go tthe camera working again so I feel more relaxed.

Year before last after a month of really warm 80 degree weather in May I clipped everyone. Day after I clipped we had a blizzard and DH called me at work, so I frantically got a couple of normal sized foal blankets at lunchtime, DH left the shivering little things in the garage where he had made a pen, and came and got the blankets!

Katiean, that gave me such a visual lol. One time Rusty (morgan) inhaled his feed and had to be seen by a vet and be treated for this to prevent pneumonia. We took pity on him and made him a "makeshift" blanket and put a surcingle to hold it on him...

...Next day the blanket was torn into tiny bits laying all over the stall floor. So I can see how he would get ticked!

Latest posts

Back