One more question about color.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
F

fantacsix

[SIZE=10pt]I am told this ASPC mare is a silver dapple. From the mini perspective Dapples have striped hooves, white eyelashes, maskes on thier faces, lighter lower legs, manes and tails. Well she has none of the above. Her sire is black and white and I think her dam was bay. (from what I heard.) When clipped I understand she looks gray but she has no "graying" on the face. So what can it be? Allison[/SIZE]

OnekasDesignByDream001a.jpg

she looks to me to be a silver bay. Mostly because her forelock is silvered out. The silver dapple gene is what it is wether its on a mini or a shetland. Sometimes is stronger and sometimes its more subdued. I have found that alot of the older shetland breeders really dont care about color and dont know much about color. So you will find alot of shetland ponies registered the wrong color. Possibly her mother was a silver bay but registered as a bay

kaykay said:
she looks to me to be a silver bay.  Mostly because her forelock is silvered out.  The silver dapple gene is what it is wether its on a mini or a shetland.  Sometimes is stronger and sometimes its more subdued.  I have found that alot of the older shetland breeders really dont care about color and dont know much about color.  So you will find alot of shetland ponies registered the wrong color.  Possibly her mother was a silver bay but registered as a bay
439649[/snapback]

I vote for Silver Bay too.

Part of the problem with the color registration is that the registry's color chart needs some serious attention. They don't recognize, and won't use if submitted, many of the colors in the shetland gene pool. I imagine this is an issue with AMHR horses too, as they have even more options. And sometimes two different people will submit the same color, and the registry will use it on one animal, but not the other. Isn't there a committee working on updating the color chart?

I'm curious to see how my filly's papers will come back, as I submitted her as silver buckskin (there's no way they would have taken silver dunskin). I'm betting they'll use palomino, even though she clearly has darker points.

Suzanne

8-3-05 Hi There: Lewella, who's gone to Congress, will have the final word on color :), however I agree with the others that she looks to be a Silver Bay. Not only are there a lot of Silver Bays, just listed as "Bay" but many are listed as sorrels with flaxen manes and tails. Whenever I see sorrel with flaxen mane and tail, I think, "Hmm, I wonder? Bet it's a silver bay!" What makes it even more confusing is that there ARE sorrels with flaxen manes and tails out there. My personal favorite colors listed on a pedigree is "Chestnut Dapple" and "Dapple". Gotta love those old time breeders. Very creative. Today many more breeders are paying attention to color and are trying to educate themselves...and the office. Supposedly there is a committee working on a new color chart, but I've heard that the BOD did approve any of the colors listed in Sponenberg's book. Good luck. Ta, Shirlee

Yes she does look silver-bay, when clipped they usually have lighter lowerlegs and dapples but in natural summercoat they will mostly have dark legs like a normal bay.

Grey has nothing to do with the silver gene, when clipped they will have the silver/gray look but has nothing to do with the gray gene.

Often silvers are called dappled-grey wich is a wrong discription imo.

Latest posts

Back