One Month Old Foal with Snake Bite

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlenehorse

Reaction score
This is what happens when the foal is curious. She got a snake bite on her leg. Called the vet and he treated her and she seems more comfortable now.

He will come in the morning to check on her. He said the swelling should go down tomorrow. She is nursing and eating hay.

Mvc-001f.jpg

We had a foal three years ago that wound up with a snake bite right around her coronet. She abcessed and we soaked her foot in warm epsom salt water three times a day and squeezed the abcess out. It took quite a while for it to heal up all the way. It had to heal from the inside out. She healed up very good, you can't even tell it was there. Good luck with your baby!

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh wow! What a swollen leg. Good thing you called the vet they can die from snake bites.

Good luck with her. I used to keep dex/pcn just for snake bites but thank god never had to use it.

Beth

YIKES!!!
new_shocked.gif
Poor baby! I assume she was given some kind of anti-venom?

Quite a few people have had snake troubles. You can search the forum for their experience. One of my horses was bitten in May, and we have lived to tell about it. Good luck with yours! It's traumatic, I know!

Marsha

The poor little kid! It's gotta be sore!

How did the vet treat her? Do you know what kind of snake it was?

MA

Latest posts

Back