One liners geez that bugs me

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne

Reaction score
Ok I'm moving so it would be very helpful if I sold a couple more horses to good homes. I am negotiable on prices but I am ""particular" about "where they go".

Seems like a few too many "one line inquireries" lately.

"what's your bottom dollar On (fill in the blank), not even an "introduction" or something to give me anything to go by. Nothing about what they would like to have the horse "for" pet or show or breeding even when I ask, just another one line reply.

Or 'will you take $$ for (fill in the blank).

Is this unusual?

Haven't sold a horse to one of those yet and can't see it happening.

I at least need a "name", first and last would be nice. If a buyer tells me what they want the horse for I could tell them if the horse would "suit" what they need.

Just a bit frustrated today.

Anne

This happens sometimes Anne - just remember, if you are not comfortable with any inquiry you are in control of whether you reply or how you will reply. Always follow your own gut instincts. You will find the perfect home for your horses eventually! Best of luck to you.
smile.gif

Each inquiry has it's own "feel", even the one liners. I confess to passing on many of them. If they are too busy to say, hello, I'm interested in your horse, could you..........and thanks.......... then they must not be that serious. (that just took me a few secs to type so time can't be an issue) JMHO If you one liners are out there, help us out...why do you send off only that?

I got one this morning...."what's the cheapest mini you got"

and that was it.
new_shocked.gif
I haven't answered back because all I could think to say was "it depends on who is wanting it. I have one priced at $________ but I won't sell him to an inexperienced individual who has no experience with stallions."...that sounds kinda cold but it's true...

Anne,

These are the people that are trying to pull a scam. Many are changing their tactics to what you are getting in the mail.

Got them all the time when I was trying to sell my Icelandic mare.

Just delete them.

Beware the scam! The first horse we sold online, we almost fell for it. The guy was going to send a cashiers check and everything. Luckily, we were informed of the steps of the scam before we fell for it. In my experience, people really interested in your horse will ask pertinent questions about personality, vices, training, etc. Then, they will want to come to see the horse. People who ask only about price are not the people I want to sell my horse to.

sometimes though those what is the bottom line for xxxx or will youtake xxxx is a lead in to see if asking more questions and telling you what they are looking for is a waste of everyones time maybe??

I dunno i try to not let those things bug me and just go with my gut

To a one line question, I would usually give a one line response. "XYZ is listed at $_____ ." I MIGHT add "If you are interested in discussing your purpose for XYZ, we might negotiate."

I don't consider a one line question a negotiation.

I'm with you 100% Anne.

I take my horses welfare very seriously and I don't appreciate these "cold" one liners one bit.

If they don't have the time to atleast be cordial to me with a name and a couple of decent questions or lines, I don't take thier inquiry seriously.

However I do answer all my emails cordially regardless. That's how I was brought up anyhow.

I have recieved very brief and almost curt emails in the past with inquiries- they were not scams. I dont think that some people realize how they come across when they do this. They may be in a hurry, so send something brief, or they may just be blunt and to the point and 'dont make nice' in their emails- just state what they want.

I had several emails like that from someone and they were ALL that way- trying to get any information was like trying to pull hen's teeth- virtually impossible. I did not sell to this person.

Perhaps a reply like ' The horse is $XX.XX. Please tell me a bit about yourself and what you are looking for' may open up more communication?

Laurie

I didn't think of one-liners as being a "scam", I was beginning to think that perhaps it was a "child" just sort of "blurting out a question" like kids will do occasionally. I have replied and tried to be cordial, even to a couple that didn't give me a "name" to reply to. I just asked their name.

But it is hard for me to warm-up to selling one of my horses to someone who wants the "bottom dollar" and doesn't even bother giving me their name. Hasn't happened yet.

I would love to talk to someone on the phone, I always like that best.

Or sometimes people seem to prefer email if the calls are long distance. I don't mind but I sure like to "get to know" a person. Then I would have a better idea that a horse was going into a good situation and that no one is going to be disappointed.

We have had similar approaches from people, but one that gets the blood pressure going is... We just want one for a pet. ok, then we offer a gelding. Then they come back with..Well we want a mare we can breed later. When asking them if they have ever foaled out horses, they answer No. GRRR!! Sorry, we don't have any horses for sale. I know people have to start somewhere, but our horses are just too special to us to learn on. I can't knowingly do it. Lavonne

It goes both ways. I just inquired about a horse that was listed for sale yrecently and I asked several very specific questions about the horse and asked for photos.

I got an e-mail back today with the same ad that was posted on the board cut and pasted into the e-mail with a picture. None of my questions were answered - not even a "hello, thanks for inquiring" or a "go jump in the lake, I don't want to sell to you".

I'd already SEEN the ad and knew what THAT said, I wanted to know more.

I have had many request for 'prices'--over the phone and in e-mail. My usual response is "We have several horses and ponies for sale at this time at various prices. If you tell me what you had in mind and what you are planning, then we can work on the right horse for you" If they continue to be short or evasive I will counter with something like "Well, we have too many for me to price to you without you looking, so maybe you need to come see what we have so that we can find the right animal at the right price for you." If they are still persistant, I will get evasive and say something like "Well at the moment I have one for $XXX and they go up from there." That way I can always say that the cheepest one is no longer available if I feel the situation merits.

Latest posts

Back