Once again the importance of seat belts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixie_belle

Reaction score
You know, sometimes I feel like no one cares about us but now I know the most important person EVER is always watching over us. On July 4 my husband and I went to Menards for supplies for our storm shelter in progress behind the house. We took our truck and hitched up our stock trailer. We purchased a bunch of stuff - most notably 150 pieces of 20' rebar, 20 2x4's, and a bunch of other stuff. We were loaded to the gills, both the truck bed and the trailer. As we were entering the on ramp for the parkway, the trailer started to fishtail and within seconds the truck was rolling, as was the trailer. We rolled at least once, completely, and finally came to restin the median on the driver's side. I didn't open my eyes until after all the rolling had stopped and when I did I was hanging by my seatbelt over my husband. Our first question to each other was naturally "Are you ok?" I was, he wasn't. I unbuckled myself and climbed down to him and undid his seatbelt as it was hurting him. His head and left are had flopped around and come to rest sorta trapped between the truck and the ground. The fireman had to use the jaws of life as a jack to lift the truck off of him. Turns out he had fractured his neck in two places and needed surgery to fuse those two vertabra together. So now he has a plate and 8 screws in his neck. (Guess I can't accuse him of having a screw loose now!!) Anyway, even though we no longer have a truck or a stock trailer and we have ruined $1400 of brand new materials, we are both alive and eventually he will be back to his normal self (not that he was ever "normal" to begin with! The first people on the scene could not believe that I actually was able to crawl out. And everyone was amazed that our injuries weren't worse. Neither one of us was cut (beyond some superficial cuts and a patch of road rash on my husband's elbow) and all those things can be replaced. So all in all, even though it was a horrific accident, we consider ourselves blessed.

Wow, sounds like a bad accident. I'm so happy that you guys came out of it with with what sounds like fixable injuries...like you said it could have been so much worse. Sure makes you appreciate how fragile we all are and how quickly life can change.

So sorry to hear you were in an accident, but glad you are both ok (sending speedy healing thoughts for your husband).

My dad worked for the Montana State Highway Department for over 30 years, and he was often called in after wrecks to inspect the road and conditions; he stated many times that the worst wrecks for injuries were almost always the ones where people were not wearing seatbelts. Its no lie, seatbelts save lives.

What a horrible thing to have happen to you! I'm so sorry!!! Thank God you're both still with us! I'm glad you were not hurt and sorry your husband got broken up
default_sad.png
{{{hugs}}} to you both!!

Oh my gosh...someone was sure watching out for you!! So glad you are OK, and hubby not too bad either. Yes, SEAT BELTS SAVE LIVES!! I have never been in an accident, but I ALWAYS put my seat belt on immediately after getting in. I feel naked without it. I hope that if ever I do get into an accident, my injuries may be lessended due to my wearing the seat belt.

Seatbelts are saviors and so are air bags. Your 'things" can be replace but not either of you. So glad you will both recover from the accident.

My son was in an accident a week ago and it totaled his new truck but thanks to the seat belts and air bags he only has chemical burns on his forearms and was a bit sore for a few days. He had his friend with him who never wears a seat belt and when he got in my son told him if you ride with me you buckle up...good thing because if he would not have he would have went through the windshield, he also had no injuries only sore. The young man that pulled out in front of them did not have his seatbelt on and the vehicle he was driving was older and did not have a working air bag, he survived but all of his ribs on one side are broke, he has a severe concussion and a broken leg in several places. Back in 2000 I rolled my new Tahoe ended up upside down and I was firmly still in place being held by the seat belt, I released the seat belt and crawled out the broken window without a scratch!

I am a firm believer in seat belts!

Latest posts

Back