on the topic of shots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StellaLenoir

Reaction score
My vet was just out to give my 3 minis their shots. I have had him do all of them so far.

The minis HATE him!!!!!!

My littles ones will stand for me, are great for the farrier and brushing ect. I can touch them wherever, ect. But as soon as they smell the vet they freak!!! Like flipping over and going crazy freaking out. I am suprised and very thankfull that this last time noone got hurt. They really go That crazy.

They have gotten worse each time the vet has come out over the last almost 1.5 years that I have had them.

(cant believe that already
default_wub.png
)

I have done shots on dogs and wildlife rehab animals, and I really think I can handle the horses shots. I think they might do better with me than him. He is huge and I think too rough.

Also he gives each vac individualy! So that is lots of needles! I think he does this because he must order each vac on it own? They are all given in the space of one crazy moment, so it is not to avoid a reaction.

So my question is, if I were to do the fall shots, can I just order the same kind in a 5 way and do that?

They got West Nile, VEWT/FLU/RHINO

and rabies

If I were to do the shots myself in the fall, can I space them out over a few days? I will be calling him to get the brand name he uses, and whatever info he will give me. He is a compitant vet, but does not have a great horse side manner! And he talks like my horses are in he// because they are on a dry lot with only grass sometimes. :DOH!

Does it matter if you use a different brand from Spring to fall, as far as the effectivness of the vacc? And if you switch brands but the horse has always been up to date, do you need a booster?

I will be running this by my vet before and will have a horse smart freind with me when I do the shots.

( or she will do them)

Any tips for getting them more ok with the shots?

He does the neck, and I am thinking the rear? Any tips, info, advice whatever please share!!
default_yes.gif

Both my horses and I love our vet, but I still give my horses their shots myself. I call my vet and she draws them up for me and labels them. Then I pick them up and give them to the horses at home. I have never had a problem with this, and neither has my vet. Occasionally, if she has to come out for something else she will give the shots herself. Maybe you could ask your vet to just give you the shots to do yourself at home.

Also, for most of the horses I give a 5 way shot (includes rhino, flu, tetanus, & E/W enceph.), rabies and west nile.

Last edited by a moderator:
"I have done shots on dogs and wildlife rehab animals, and I really think I can handle the horses shots. I think they might do better with me than him."

Probably, they know you a lot better. Equine shots are easy to do, but there are some things to consider. Reactions aren't terribly uncommon, and a bout of anaphylaxis (sp!) can sure ruin your day. Also, shots are a huge money maker for vets (don't blame them!) and are sometimes the only time you will see them during a good year. So if you were to stop using your vet for vaccines, there is a chance that they will drop you as a client. The way to avoid this and any other hard feels is to talk to your vet openly about your options. Ask what they think of teaching you how to vaccinate, what to look out for, and where to get the drugs. It may even be a good idea to order your vaccines from him. It will definately cost more, but it'll promote good will.

"Also he gives each vac individualy! So that is lots of needles!"

I do too! Yes, it is a lot of needles, but all vaccines aren't created equal. I don't use any Fort Dodge vaccines by choice since they seem to cause a lot of reactions, plus, they are "outdated". There are superior options available.

"They are all given in the space of one crazy moment, so it is not to avoid a reaction."

That's just stupid. You'll get the same reaction you would if you did them slowly. Plus this way you won't know which vaccine caused the reaction. If you do them yourself you can spread them out. I do two shots per day for four days to get all of them in.

"So my question is, if I were to do the fall shots, can I just order the same kind in a 5 way and do that?"

Probably not, if he picks and chooses his vaccines and varies the brands. Besides, you don't need all vaccines twice a year. Some are good for 12 months, others for 6, others for 2-3.

"They got West Nile, VEWT/FLU/RHINO and rabies"

That's what I do. Yes, its a lot of shots, but you can purchase the best of the best vaccines available when you get them individually. I use Previnile, Recombitek rFlu, RabVac3, Rhinomune, Arvac (EVA), and Intervet's four way (VEE/EEE/WEE/Tetnus).

"If I were to do the shots myself in the fall, can I space them out over a few days?"

Yes!

"Does it matter if you use a different brand from Spring to fall, as far as the effectivness of the vacc? And if you switch brands but the horse has always been up to date, do you need a booster?"

Maybe, and maybe. Try to stay in the same brand. For most things its not a big deal, but for biggies like Flu, Rhino, and West Nile, yes you may have to booster. Previnile has no booster required. Rhinomune and rFlu are significant improvements over "old" vaccines and will reqire a booster as well. Recombitek WN will need a booster if you choose to use it, its also a high quality vaccine. I would advise against using Fort Dodge products, including their x-ways AND their WN vaccines. I do use FD Rabies and strangles vaccines though...

"He does the neck, and I am thinking the rear?"

Either is fine. Neck is fine if you are by yourself of have a difficult horse, rear is safer if your horse has an abcess or reaction. But if the horse kicks or fights, stick to the neck.

I know every vet is different, like every person. However, MY vet practice expects me to and wants me to give the shots which is part of routine care. When "something" odd happens, often they give me over the phone instructions based on what they know I can handle. They expect me to do the shots, and to call them when something happens that I cannot handle alone.

thanks all.

I am wondering from the cost of my shots only bill if maybe he would like me to do shots too. lol. I know lots of his other clients do their own shots, purchased from him.

We do shots 2 times a year in Fl because of the year long bug issue. I think things are more of a year round problem. I just looked back at my shots done in Nov and they were the same.

Mine have never had the booster after the shots. Just shots, spring and fall. I will ask the vet what brand he uses and what cost he would have if he prepared the shots and I gave them. \

he is nice, and what not, but he treats my questions like I am asking crazy things. Like I am over paranoid. I am not, I AM carefull and very causious , but not nuts.
default_wacko.png
well maybe a little. lol!!!

Thanks! Nathan your info was great!!! and Jill and cretahillsgal great idea to get shots for good will.
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_saludando.gif

Latest posts

Back