On the subject of

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

runamuk

Reaction score
I am confused
wacko.gif
nothing new there
biggrin.gif

OK in order to compete in PMC doesn't a person have to be able to fit that criteria? and that said if one is (trying to be delicate here) challenged enough to compete in these classes then should they NOT be able to participate in the open etc...?

In other words as I understand it the PMC classes were created for those who were either physically or mentally unable to participate in the regular classes?....

or am I completely wrong here
wacko.gif

funny you should bring this up it is something that me and my friends have discussed as well- I am not sure how I feel about it I know what the rules are but well I dont know I would hate to limit anyone to just one group of classes but on the other hand .. if someone is able to do both and win at both then maybe they should let others who dont have the ability to do both have a chance to shine in the PMC classes?

Hard to decide wear to be on that one but it is something that I think quite a few have wondered about.

Runamuk...

So what you are saying, is that if a person has limitations, he/she should have to choose to either compete in the PMC classes or the open/ammy classes.

That is like saying that if you are an amatuer, you should not be allowed to compete in an open class. Or a youth should not be allowed in a open class. Yes some classes are restricted by certain guide lines and those guide lines must be followed. Example, youth can show in open driving, but not in ladies or men's driving.

How many of you saw the lady who was restricted to a wheelchair jumper her horse in the open hunter class at AMHR National 2004? It was totally AWESOME! They did a fantastic job! Would you like to tell her that because she was able to complete at such a level as that, she should not be able to compete in a PMC class?

I feel like to say that If you met the guides to enter PMC class and you do, that you should be restricted from showing in any other "regular" classes is very, very discrimiatory. That is my opinion, and not such a humble one.

kinda relating to this in a way and showing in general i could have sworn in the Dec journal i read about a i forget what they called it maiden or novice class?

I dont knwo if it passed or was just up for discussion where someone who has one a ribbon in any 3 classes at Nationals at any time ( like one in 2002 and 2 in 2004) wouldnt be able to show in that class it was just for those who havent gotten a top 10 ribbon in ANY class

I have long been saying I thought this was a great idea but not sure if it is going to go in effect or not?

Dreamweaver that isn't really what I meant.....for some reason in my mind it seemed those classes were geared for the people who COULDNT compete in the regular classes....I guess I am totally wrong and sorry you find my question offensive ......if that isn't the case then why even offer the class .....I mean what is that class for .....I am serious here I don't get it.......

I understand the youth classes that makes sense it levels the playing field so the kids can compete on more even ground.........and because I am not a youth I cannot enter their classes .....but they could enter mine....whats to prevent someone from taking advantage of PMC just to win more ribbons........not saying that is the case in fact in all the shows I've been too over the years I think I only once saw a pmc class and it had one person entered in it........

For the record my son would qualify for these classes .....

I applaud those who qualify for PMC and can still enter some of the other non-PMC classes. It is a challenge for them and their animals. However, I personally feel that the PMC classes were actually formed to allow those who can be functional in PMC (but not on ammy or open levels) to participate in the shows.

There are so few who can transfer to both that it isn't a situation that makes you want to close the PMC classes. But, that said, I do see why you would just want to have clarification of the reason for the classes. Don't feel badly for asking, heck there are some toher classes that are puzzles to me
wacko.gif
For the record, I did not take it as any insult -- and I'm not in the PMC classes, yet....

AMHR offers a lot of classes with different guidelines so that everyone might get a chance to "shine".

I see the PMC classes as a way for someone with limitations to maybe get a little extra time and attention spent with them in a class that they might not get in an open/ammy/youth class. If someone qualifies for a PMC class and has the will & ablitity to compete at a open class, why not let them? For the record, I know LOTS of people without limitations that wouldn't step foot in any class!

Runamuk, I don't understand if you have a son that will qualify for the PMC classes, why you would want to limit him from participating in those classes and striving for other classes as well. If you restrict someone to the PMC classes only, you are really taking away a lot of opportunity for them. From driving classes all the way down to Liberty or even costume & color class.

Lisa, I really do not see the PMC classes like the novice class. A novice can improve with time if they have the want to. A PMC person might not even have the ability. If fact, it is not unusal for a PMC entry to possible become more restricted as time goes one. For Example, a person with a disabling disease might be very mobile when they are younger. Say the show for a few years in the PMC class and do well, winning several ribbons. If that disease starts to reek havoc, that persons mobility might be very compromised. Under the novice rules, they would not be able to compete in the PMC classes.

If people could change the reason that they would qualify for a PMC class, I am sure they would. A novice can chance from being a novice if they want to.

oh no dana you misunderstood or let me say perhaps i wrote it wrong.

My question on novice really had nothing at all to do with PMC and i should have asked it on a new thread but for some reason i remembered seeing the noivce thing as i was reading this thread and just sort of went ahead and asked it as it was in my brain at the time.

I agree the 2 are not related at all and I was really just wondering if the novice thing had gone into effect for this year or was just something that was sort of being kicked around

Sorry to confuse I am telling you this heat is just taking its toll on my brain at 9:30 now at nite it is 111 in my house UGH

I compete in regular halter classes in the small shows, but there is no way I could stand as long as it will take for classes at Nationals. I appreciate the PMC classes. I enjoy showing my horses but I can not get down on the ground to move feet around and such so it is hard to compete in the regular classes. Since PMC's are smaller I have the stamina to show in them at nationals. I am glad they are offered. Look for us in the PMC classes this year at AMHR Nationals. Peppy's Zions Calling Me. buckskin Pinto.

Thanks Dana for honoring me with the use of Rocket last year for PMC classes at Nationals. He is a champ!!!! And for getting me hooked!
biggrin.gif

Shelley<><

Your are more than welcome Shelley. I am glad you enjoyed showing with Rocket. Don't you have a picture of the two of you that you could post?

This can be a tough question. I qualify for the PMC classes but have never entered them. I do show in open and ameteur. I just don't feel that I am challenged "enough" to enter the class and wouldn't want to take away from someone who feels that is the class they need to enter to show their horse.

Shelley brought up something that I hadn't thought of as I haven't been able to show at Nationals "yet." I am not sure if I could stand the length of time necessary to show in an open halter class. HMMMMMMM will have to give this some more thought.

Robin

I have to agree with Dana (Dreamweaver) on this one.

My daughter, Cammie, is visually impaired and legally blind. She shows in PMC classes (when offered), open and amateur as well. Why shouldn't she be able to compete in any classes she is capable of showing in?

I even posed this question to several judges as Cammie shows quite well and is capable of competing with anybody. The ones I talked to were adamant that she should indeed be allowed to show in PMC and any other classes she chooses. Just because she has a disability she shouldn't be discriminated against at horse shows.

Showing has given her confidence over the years and really allowed her to 'shine' at something!

[SIZE=14pt]Cammie and I have had this discussion in pms. I show in the PMC classes and it took a long time for my dear departed friend Vivi to convince me that I was elligible because if my blindness even though my arms and legs work fine. I also still compete in open classes at the smaller shows. I even DRIVE in the smaller shows in regular classes and yes I have won them. Does that mean that I should not drive the PMC class at nationals? I am too afraid to go in a class with 26 or more entries. I have absolutely no peripheral vision and if something isnt right in front of my nose I dont see it. I have very well trained horses that I drive and I trust them to get me arond the ring safely but two years ago I got LOTS of e mails from sighted people that didnt want me in their classes for fear I would cause an accident. After I didnt go in AMMY, judge Thurber was leaving the grounds when he saw me and asked why I wasnt in the class! He said he saw not problems when he judged me and Hershee many times and felt we were both safe enough for ammy. Oh well go figure. I have shown PMC only at nationals now for the last three years but prior to that I went in both the pmc and ladies showmanship and won pmc and placed top ten in the regular so I dont feel like people should be disallowed from the ammy and open just because we are limited physically.[/SIZE]

Lyn

I qualify for the PMC classes but have never entered them. I do show in open and ameteur. I just don't feel that I am challenged "enough" to enter the class and wouldn't want to take away from someone who feels that is the class they need to enter to show their horse.
Robin this is what I think I was trying to get at .......

Dana thank you for explaining in more detail about the class......

I truly did not understand....and yes if someone started in PMC and developed the confidence and abitlity to move on to other classes then by all means go for it...... I guess my understanding of the class was wrong......

and my son I feel is like robin stated above he isn't impaired enough to enter those classes especially since there are youth classes he could enter.........I was just wondering as I had been told he would qualify yet I didn't think that he would......

[SIZE=14pt]The only "disability" that I feel doesnt qualify is when people use the Obesity card. I was obese once, still am not thin but I stayed in the regular classes. Two years ago one of the participants was asked what her disability was and that was the answer she gave. Yes she was very heavy and waddled but fat just isnt a disability its a choice.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Latest posts

Back