On Target Miniatures - foal updates December 2014

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oh I was wondering if that was her! you will have to let us know all about how their show careers go! all three are very special to us Aunties!

little Snappy! love that special little girl! how tall is she now?

Cassie (and anyone else interested): there are tons of photos of the foals in my Facebook albums, all open to the public. Hope the links work....

More snow photos at https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.508981539140444.107416.100000858077660&type=3

More foal photos: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.385976411440958.83988.100000858077660&type=3

And some special favorites (4-Her and mini learning to ground drive): https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.499310990107499.106469.100000858077660&type=3

I need to measure Snappy again, but she is tiny - I would guess about 26-27".

cute!! my yearling is still only 29" tall and is the most snuggly of babies! I bet your Snappy would be exactly the same
default_smile.png

This is the best I can do for all three together - from December 24. Clyde hasn't been gelded yet so he is turned out by himself these days, next to his dad, which they both enjoy immensely! Also, as a yearling stallion, the 4-Hers aren't allowed to handle him, and he is getting a bit studly. Our vet is laid up with a broken leg so no sure when the deed will be done! Notice Snappy is cheating and standing ON the sled!

P1070459.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
oh Mary that pic is adorable, the terrible triplets of for a spin on the sled
default_yes.gif

Update for 2/20/2013: Mares both got their 9 month Pneumabort shots today. Toffee's udder is starting to show changes - very slight, but that is just fine for now! Toffee is also looking very wide! I need to get some photos but the ones I have taken recently aren't very good. Dancer's girlish figure is starting to broaden too, but gosh, she is at 9 months so I guess it is about time!! Her baby is pretty active anyway. My vet (who is my age) has been told because of his age he shouldn't try working for 10 weeks after his accident, so that may put him pretty close to the mares's due dates. But he should be able to get around enough to help somewhat if his help is needed. So far, he has saved two of our 5 (ever) live foals, who probably wouldn't have made it without his help.

BTW, we have a video somewhere of their older brother Rusty more or less riding on the sled with his front feet, and walking with his hind legs. It is pretty funny!

Thought I would post some photos for reference as the mares get closer to foaling. These were taken today, 2/25 at about 275 days. I knew I needed to clip around the udders and I guess that needs to be done sooner rather than later. This is a great example of the need to FEEL not just look at the udder though. Dancer has not made any changes that I can feel, but Toffee's udder is definitely showing changes I can feel. At least Dancer is getting more used to the idea of me feeling her udder!

Toffee is the bay/white, Dancer is the one that doesn't look pregnant.

P1070982.JPG

P1070979.JPG

P1070983.JPG

P1070986.JPG

Thanks for the update and pics Mary, both girls look great
default_thumbup.gif
I am so looking forward to watching your girls again this year
default_yes.gif
I hopefully start a new job soon but I should still be able to watch your cam as I will be in an office.

Both are looking really good Mary - I seem to remember that last year the lovely Toffee looked pretty 'wide' towards the end of her pregnancy??

I need to go back and look at last year's photos of Toffee because I "think" she may not be quite as wide this year, which is fine with us. Clyde is wonderful, but a few inches smaller would be great!

I also realize that you can see in the photo better than in person that Dancer DOES look pregnant.

OK, this is not your usual type of update but some real progress today (2/28). Until now, Toffee has still been turned out with the other "broodmares" - Sox and Mira - and Dancer is still on dry lot with the 4-H projects & show horses. We KNOW we need to get them used to being turned out together, but the weather has not been cooperating. Today we decided there was enough grass visible through the snow and it was safe enough to put the two of them in the front yard with the gate at the end of the driveway closed. They had been hand grazed together a couple of times uneventfully and also turned out briefly together so we thought it would be OK. Since we had Open Barn for the 4-Hers, we had an extra Grandfather who could help watch, so out they went while the kids worked the 4 we are training to drive. All went well!!! But the best part was that Toffee let the other Grandfather brush her, and then let the kids all feel her udder! No kicks from baby though.

So here they are in the side yard.. and a short video of Clyde who happened to be in the back yard at the same time.

Does Dancer look she is 9 months pregnant? I guess I missed most of the performance she was putting on in the front yard while I was busy in the back yard.

BTW, each mare is already well exposed to the actual stalls they will be foaling in, which are next to each other.

P1080052.JPG

P1080054.JPG

Wow sounds like Toffee is making great progress
default_thumbup.gif
you must be so happy that you can touch her udder easily this year. I would say Dancer looks just like a 9 month pregnant maiden mare.
default_thumbup.gif

Thanks for sharing the fab video,I love to see the girls happy like that, it makes all our hard work worth while
default_smile.png

OK, I know I just posted a video yesterday of Clyde and still photos of the pregnant mares, but we are starting to see areas with no snow and everyone is going a bit nuts (at least the people are!). So here is a video from TODAY (3/1) of 9+ month pregnant Dancer, just feeling good. No one is chasing her... Remember, she is bred to Clyde's (and Max's) sire..... Love this mare!!!

More progress with putting the two pregnant mares out together, by themselves, with no grass. So they groom each other, and keep grooming, and keep grooming....great for the 4-Hers to see.

P1080062.JPG

P1080064.JPG

Dancer is such a gorgeous girl - cant wait to see that baby she is cooking!

Both girls are looking great Mary, thank you for keeping the pictures coming, we love sharing your minis with you.
default_yes.gif

Wow, they're looking good! I'm so glad they're getting along well... My mare would kick the tar out of another horse. She's awesome alone, but HATES sharing!

Just posted our cam link on the cam link thread. We know it is early but our minis can be entertaining! Check there for IPhone/IPad link; here is normal link:

http://www.marestare.com/fcam.php?alias=ontarget

Update for today: Checked Dancer's udder and she had no issue with this, so I think Toffee has been explaining things to her. And I could feel the tiniest changes! Before she would raise a hind leg - not to kick but more like she didn't know what was going on. Now, if it would stop snowing and warm up just a bit so we can clip bellies....

Latest posts

Back