On Line auctions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverrose28

Reaction score
I'll try to make a long story short, my doctors have told me to slow down, and I'm going to see a third on Monday, I just know she is going to say the same thing, so, I need to offer some of my horses. I have entered an on line auction before that has advertised on LB and they are going to have another this fall hopefully. Her is my question, would you as a buyer prefer to buy a bred mare or an open one?

I myself have only bought from the best and open to breed to my own Champion stallion. I have spent thousands of dollars having him promoted, as I have also done with my mares. They all have been shown earned their share, but personally I like to buy open mares. Now my doctors have recommended that I slow down, so I don't want to foal out mares. Would I make out better if I breed them or sell them open? I'm afraid they won't sell even bred then I'll be left to add to an already influxed market here in the east. If you guys have been paying attention to the on line auctions then you know that horses in this part of the world are not selling very well. What you recommend? Any and all help and opinions will be aprreciated. Thank you,

As a buyer I'd want one open...although if the horse was very close to me.. and a good price... and (depending on the stallion she was potentially bred to) I'd love her to be bred.

I'm not much help here at all am I ? !!!

For me shipping out of state I'd want a open mare.

I guess go with whether you would breed her if you were not selling her.

PS I'm sorry you are faced with this. I know it will be hard to face and harder to do. been there done that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Debbie, I too was thinking open, as I took some bred mares to Champions sales last yr. and had to bring one home to foal out, Thankfully it worked out, but since I lost my thumb joint I was terrified. I would like to get some more opinions as I do think some would want a bred mare, but personally I want open for my own breeding program, but, everyone is different.

Ive bought several mares online and i would want a mare bred to a good stallion. Especially if I plan on putting money into shipping. I've bought open mares this spring because I wanted them bred to my stallion but i also bought them worth the money. If I buy anymore this fall they need to be bred to a fashionable stallion or extremely cheap. Even if the foal is not what I want to keep I would plan on their sale helping to off set shipping. If possible have them vet checked. I just bought a mare due to foal soon and when she got here she was in heat and obviously not infoal. Now I have much more in an open mare than I want and will not be buying a long distance mare again without being vet checked.

one suggestion I would make is get a network of shippers possible buyers can use. I've heard from several people lately they were going to quit buying horses that require shipping since they can't find reasonable shippers. With several companies going out of business it's an issue right now. One major farm is offering discounted shipping if they are traveling your way and I'm sure that's helped sales. If you can help with shipping advertise that fact.

Also at least have the coggins pulled before the sale ends. You can have the buyer reimburse you the cost but having that horse ready to ship is a very good idea. They may have a ride in your area and if the horse is ready to ship you may get a sale you wouldn't normally.

Just some ideas from a buyer.

If you are selling in the fall, I would want a bred mare but only if both the mare and stallion had a quality pedigree and the stallion had a solid winning show history as yours does. And the mare would have to be one I love and want to keep after the foal is born but I'd prefer she be bred. But there are many different buyers out there and many different price ranges and there are serious buyers in all the price ranges. I think Sawing made good points in her post. Shipping has become very high and that limits sales too for a lot of people and they have to really want that horse to spend the extra shipping money.

Yes, I agree shipping is expensive, I've tried the selloing bred mare with a sono, and took them to the Champions sale, and these were mares that cost into the thousands, proven producers of champions in both AMHA and AMHR only to have buyers bid low, asw this is a buyers market here in the east. The costs are really high here, like the consignment, the the vet call out of 60, sono is 60, coggins is 36, health cert. is 25, the shipping is outragious. Problem I'm having is, is I breed these mares just to sell and then they don't sell, say at a reasonable price, I'm stuck foaling them out, not to mention the expenses. Do you think it might migh advisable to offer them as open with the option of breeding to my champion stallion? Lets say with a down payment, cause I wouldn't want to get stuck, the doctors have removed my right thumb joint, and my heart is now failing, so I can't count on tomorrow. I don't want my family left with problems.

Oh Riverrose, I'm so sorry. I wish I had the magic answer. Don't know about auctions but if you try marketing them yourself in various spots, you could offer them open or bred buyer's choice but maybe offer a free breeding to give an incentive to the buyer??? Maybe someone on the East Coast who has had luck lately in selling horses will chime in.

I would say open. and here is my 2 cents: First, I have a stallion and would be looking for potential mares for him. Second, if you are needing to cut back then if they don't sell if they are bred you would be adding to your work load. If you leave them open and if the new buyer wants them bred have that as an option. Hoping you are able to find good homes for them and good luck in whatever you may decide.

What little lady said ^^^^^^ I personally would want an open mare to breed to my stallion in the spring. So sorry for your health problems.
default_sad.png

I'm so sorry to hear about your health problems. Hope you get a better report from the next doctor!

What you might try is running a feature ad here with the option of breeding to your stallion? Also I think sellers select is having a sale the 4th put a couple in there and see what kind of response you get. Right now is just an awful time to sell with a couple major farms moving a lot of horses but i honestly don't think it's getting better anytime soon. With a lot of people going to shows it also might be easier to ship which may help.

Even if you just get a few moved now it may give you the breathing room you need to consider all your options.

Good luck and I'll keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you all, that is what I was thinking, open, and give an option to be breed.

So sorry you are even having to think about this. Will be praying for you and that it will all go smoothly, for you.

I would say leave open, but give option to breed if someone is interested. If no one is interested you are stuck with a foal and they may not like your stallion as much as their own or another they had in mind. And you don't need another mouth to feed , as well as the hassle, if they don't sell. Best of luck to you.

I'd say open is your best bet.

2 reasons:

1) if I was a youth, or a non-breeder looking to buy that mare, the hassle of foaling (it's scary) might turn me away from buying her

2) if I wanted the mare bred or infoal, one of the thoughts going through my mind would be, 'will she abort the foal during the trailer ride?' or other things like that.. if you expect her 'in foal', and you lose the foal, some of the percieved value will be lost.

Pshh, I'd be more interested in a young open mare anyday. In fact, a open mare with experience would be best.

Terry I'm terribly sorry to hear of your failing health. My heart breaks for you and yours. {{{ hugs }}}

Because I'm not interested in breeding nor foaling out a horse because of the cost and inherent possible problems, I would want an open mare. It could be I'm not the right buyer for someone like you and your horses though, but I thought I throw out my thoughts to give you some other perspective. I wish I had the means to help you out and purchase one or your lovely animals. I know I would be getting a great horse who has been bred well, well tended and utterly loved.

Please don't breed the mares. What will happen to the foals if the new owners don't like them?

And with any luck, just maybe someone out there will purchase a mare with no intention of breeding her and contributing to the surplus population. I'm so sorry you are going to get out of it, but I perfectly understand. Dr.'s orders. Stay well and good luck.

Riverrose, I was thinking about you all day yesterday and praying your doctor appointment went well. There was an interesting discussion a while back about open or bred mares. Here's the link: Open Or Bred Thinking of you.

Thank you all for the well wishes and the advice.

Doctors appointment yesterday went very well, I think, another EKG, but not another sono. Meds must be helping as pressure was down to almost normal, 131 over 85 that is a big improvement. Yes I'm taking it easy and staying out of the heat, but also feeling guilty as horses are not now getting all the TLC that I want to give. Thank goodness I have a helper.

I agree with not breeding them, cause I feel that would just add to the problem, of unwanted horses that we seem to have at this time. I do remember that old thread, thanks for posting the link.

Making zuccinni bread right now since I'm stuck in for the afternoon, and it smells so good, wish I could share it with you guys.

So glad to hear your appointment went well. I hope you find wonderful, caring homes for your mares and I'd love to be there to share your zuccinni bread. Sounds delicious!!!

Latest posts

Back