On a sad note...for those of you inquiring on Anatolians as LGD

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mona

Reaction score
I got some bad news last night. Chris brought in the mail and there was a letter in there from the lady that bought Amber (Anatolian Shepherd) from us last year. She is dead! You wouldn't think that after her being gone from here a full year, that it would affect me this way, but I felt like she was still mine when I read the news and had a good cry over it. She was killed by a pack of wolves.
default_no.gif
Below is the letter and pics I received from her owner. We had sold her as she would not stay fenced in here, and the people that bought her had over 1000 acres for her to roam on.

amberletter.jpg

amberpic.jpg

Below is a picture of Amber here last year, allowing a colt to try and nurse from her! She was such a beautiful girl, inside and out.

nurse.jpg

I can't help but to feel sick knowing the vicsous way she died, yet I feel proud of her, knowing she died doing what she loved to do. Like a policeman or soldier, when they give their life to protect others...there is no higher honor, so as sad and as sick as it makes me, I am in a way feeling happy for her, PROUD of her, that she died doing what she loved to do, what she was bred to do, and what came natural to her. May Amber rest in peace forever more.

So to those of you asking about the competancy of Anatolians as Livestock guardian/protection dogs, I would definately NOT HESITATE to have them protecting me herd.

Last edited by a moderator:
oh Mona,

I am deeply sorry. She was so brave. I am at a loss for words. I know that you are hurting and I am so sorry.

Robin

Oh what a beautiful animal, inside and out! I am so sad, but I can see why you would be proud. She did what she was bred to do.

Oh, Mona...Amber's story brought tears. I can SO understand how you felt....

It is both wonderful and sad; there is no question she knew her job, and died trying to do it (NO single dog, and perhaps, not even the two of them) could be any match for SEVEN timber wolves!

Her story is a fine and genuine tribute to her, and in fact, to the breed! Though it was sad, it is also an affirmation of her heart and determination.

(The photo of her allowing a foal to try to nurse is beyond priceless! Thanks for sharing that, too!)

And--how thoughtful and kind of the new owner to let you know, and in doing so, write such a wonderful tribute to Amber!)

Margo

Am so sorry to hear this.

Though it is not the first time. Know of a couple of Ranchers that used LGD and had no problems until they let loose timber wolves again. Then the Wolves started killing all their LGD, along with the livestock,,to the point the Ranchers posted major complants. One of them would of been put out of business. Fish and Game came in and removed the packs of wolves that were causing the problems. If I remember correctly..I think combined they lost 24 fully trained LGDs in a year.

You friend might want to call Fish and Game and see if they can remove the offending wolves.

What a noble dog. It brings tears to my eyes to think of that kind of loyalty. My heart goes out to you and her owners.

Oh the poor sweet girl!
default_crybaby.gif
What an awful way to die

I'm sitting here crying my eyes out. She was brave and special!

I'm SO sorry Mona! I know you loved her very much.

{{{{hugs}}}}

What an incredible dog. Such a shame that she's gone.

This is exactly why we have 2 of these of our own. You can't beat that natural desire to protect. These dogs are a real benefit to anyone who treats them right.

My condolences on her unfortunate end and my congratulations for having a part in the life of such a hard-working and faithful livestock companion.

I'm so sorry to read this news, Mona. I'm sure you did have to cry about this because it choked me up just reading about her, and I never met her. I am so sorry.

I'm sorry. What a kindness the new owner showed in sharing her loss with you and the courageous way she lost her life. I hope you can find comfort in knowing she went in the way a working dog would want to. 2 years ago my female Bullmastiff had a litter of 9 puppies, 8 went to new homes and I can only hope that those owners would contact me if their (now grown) puppy was lost even tho I would grieve too.

Oh Mona,

I am saddened to hear of the news. Amber was brave girl, and gave her life to protect her "family". Hopefully you and her other family can find comfort in that. I know it hurts, but I am sure she would want you to be proud and not sad.

Oh Mona!!! I am SOOOO very sorry that beautiful Amber is gone. I was choking back tears as I read the letter and saw the pictures. What a brave and noble dog. I know how much you are hurting even if she went to live far away from you, she still had a piece of your heart. I only imagine how happy she was in her new home, wandering those thousands of acres......

I got some bad news last night. Chris brought in the mail and there was a letter in there from the lady that bought Amber (Anatolian Shepherd) from us last year. She is dead! You wouldn't think that after her being gone from here a full year, that it would affect me this way, but I felt like she was still mine when I read the news and had a good cry over it. She was killed by a pack of wolves.
default_no.gif
Below is the letter and pics I received from her owner. We had sold her as she would not stay fenced in here, and the people that bought her had over 1000 acres for her to roam on.

amberletter.jpg

amberpic.jpg

Below is a picture of Amber here last year, allowing a colt to try and nurse from her! She was such a beautiful girl, inside and out.

nurse.jpg

I can't help but to feel sick knowing the vicsous way she died, yet I feel proud of her, knowing she died doing what she loved to do. Like a policeman or soldier, when they give their life to protect others...there is no higher honor, so as sad and as sick as it makes me, I am in a way feeling happy for her, PROUD of her, that she died doing what she loved to do, what she was bred to do, and what came natural to her. May Amber rest in peace forever more.

So to those of you asking about the competancy of Anatolians as Livestock guardian/protection dogs, I would definately NOT HESITATE to have them protecting me herd.
Oh I'm so sorry Mona!
default_no.gif
We have loved the Anatolians & crosses we have had, but as you found out, they need ROOM to roam. We had to rehome our purebred Anatolian Bannon for that reason and she is doing beautifully at her home
default_wub.png

What a dog Amber was! You can see in her face how serious she took her work. She reminds me of the dog "Nana" from Peter Pan. Loving and caring for her charges, yet fierce and brave in her protective work.

Godspeed, beautiful Amber.
default_bye-sad.gif

Oh Mona,

This just breaks my heart to read this. I am so sorry for the loss of an amazingly beautiful girl! Lots of HUGS and more HUGS coming to you!!

"I can't help but to feel sick knowing the vicsous way she died, yet I feel proud of her, knowing she died doing what she loved to do. Like a policeman or soldier, when they give their life to protect others...there is no higher honor, so as sad and as sick as it makes me, I am in a way feeling happy for her, PROUD of her, that she died doing what she loved to do, what she was bred to do, and what came natural to her. May Amber rest in peace forever more.

So to those of you asking about the competancy of Anatolians as Livestock guardian/protection dogs, I would definately NOT HESITATE to have them protecting me herd."

Oh Mona.......I DO understand........I understand being proud of her, but I can also feel the heartbreak. I am so sad for her new owner(s) and for you.......all who love her.

Blessings.

I'm so sorry for your loss. She sounds like an amazing dog. She was doing what she was bred to do and did her best. She was a lovely patient girl.

I'm so sorry, Mona....

My thoughts are with you and her owners.

Liz

Latest posts

Back