Omolene 200 people....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leeana

Reaction score
I fed Omolene 200 back two years ago and the grain was very moist and silky. I purchased four bags yesterday from TSC as i'm going to start my Rock E gelding on that. I opened the first bag and it was more dry then I remember, still the same smell and taste (yes, I tast tested it myself..). I opened the other three bags and they are all the same texture as the first (sort of dry, not silky like I remember). I checked the dates on all of the bags and they are no where near expiration.

I know that Purina made a few changes on the Omolene line, so I am not sure if this may have something to do with it?

Good Morning,

Yes, Purina has made changes to all of their feed. They did that this past year, changed the colors, design of the bags on Omalene, perhaps some of the other bags as well. You can check the Purina site for the changes they have made, I forget what they have done exactly. I have not fed omalene since this past summer, only Strategy.

I do not remember it being more dry than before, I have fed Omalene for years. Perhaps just that batch of it? I do know that different Plants that produce the Omalene feed with make changes to the products they put in it ( NOT THE CONTENT ratios of protein, fat, etc.), this is per a Purina rep as I had some concerns over a Purina product I was using this summer.

Beth

Last edited by a moderator:
I looked on the Purina website and cannot find a list of the actual changes they made. I know they changed Strategys bag as I also feed Strategy.

I would love to know the changes they made to the feeds..

I think I remember that they added beet pulp to the Omolene line? Or maybe that was in reference to the 400 which was already Complete Advantage anyway.

Hi Leeana

Maybe I'm thinking of the brochure they that just recently put out. There is a box (design label) on the oustide of the bag that says ????? whatever it says - it gives the new formula a name. For the life of me I cannot think what it says - since I have no omalene here now to read the bag. I'm not sure it gives the new ingredients. "They" say it is better feed, but have no idea what that means overall.

I have noticed they have higher number omelenes now and some are hard to find in the feed stores. I do believe the higher numbers have beet pulp in them and also their SR. feed. A friend took in a horse to ready for a show that was on one of those higher numbered feeds, she could not find it in any of the stores when she ran out of it. She read the label and one of the ingredients was beet pulp. I believe they had to switch feeds at that time since the new feed was not available.

I hope someone else comes on and explains it, I would like to know now for sure what it is as well. I have not kept up with it since I am not feeding it now.

My experience with Omolene (and have fed it for more years than I care to add up) is that every now and then the mill does not put enough or too much molasses in it. If they do not put enough in, the mixture is dry. When your feed store gets a new supply and hopefully a new "batch" from the mill it will hopefully be what you remembered it to be. This usually happens in the summer though when they don't use as much molasses.

Thanks Ladies
default_smile.png

I think you are noticing the difference between the summer and winter formulations. I believe the summer has less molassas to help prevent spoilage.

The other formulation change is the 'Amplify" nuggets (?) which I can't remember what that is about, but I think has something to do with the carbohydrates they use?

Back