OMGosh! Help advice needed!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AceyHorse

Reaction score
Hi all, looking for any words of advice here!

I just found out my "gelding" has been mounting and well "doing the business" with the in-season mare in his paddock!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

I got him after he was "gelded" and the date of his gelding has been written on his registration certificate.

However today his behaviour was definately stallion!!

He has no testicles visable (I've had him since he was 2) He looks at the back like any other gelding.

I've never had him in with a mare before.

Just to make it really clear, hes not just playing around here and jumping on her, its the real deal
default_new_shocked.gif

Whats going on here!

Has this ever happened to anyone else before?

Could he get her in foal??

Please any advice would be great

I'm in total shock in case you can't already tell!
default_new_shocked.gif

Thanks

Anna

I'm sure others will be able to tell you better then me. But it is not of the norm for a gelding to "breed" a mare. My gelding would sometimes breed mares if they were in heat, there was one mare that would not leave him alone when she was in heat. There have been posts about this before you might want to do a search
default_smile.png

He is gelded if they said so, no testes are visible or felt and if it is on the registration papers.... Geldings do sometimes act like stallions (mounting etc)...they are still boys.... gelding them doesn't take the urge away from them... but don't worry, no mares are getting pregnant from him!

Thanks for that, I also just spoke to the vet that said the same thing. Gosh it was a shock to the system though! Thanks so much for taking the time to help me out

Anna
default_smile.png

I have one too
default_smile.png
He had a retained testicle and was surgically gelded as a 2 yr old, was extremely randy and hard to handle as a stallion but mellowed considerably afterwards......until more than a year later when I put him out with my mares. He became Mr Studly once more, breeding mares (or so he thinks), herding them, running off a mare he doesn't like and even squabbling with my neighbors stallion through the fence. I had to take him back out as he was really picking on a small mare - he's back up on drylot now with the geldings and back to being a puppy dog. Just took advantage of the opportunity LOL.

Jan

Welcome to the group!!!!
default_laugh.png
I posted this same question after my gelding for 6 months started mounting mares this spring. There isn't anything coming out. So don't be worried. Just don't let anyone near the paddock. They'll be wondering where your "stallion" came from and then you have to explain the whole thing!!! Hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!11
default_biggrin.png

That or just keep the mares separate. My gelding likes to keep "his" mare with him at all times during the seasons.

Oh I'm pleased to see there are more geldings like mine lol! Well I'd been laughing about how "stallion like" he'd been acting since he was put in with her, running off the gelding in the paddock next door, being quite full of himself. And then this happened! I think I'm only just recovering from the shock! lol

They have since been seperated but neither seem very happy about it. Calling out to one another across the paddocks. But he just wouldn't leave her alone once he "figured things out"

Yeesh I agree One Ritz -C- Kid, Men!! Go figure! I guess where theres a will theres a way LOL!

I think the only way to be sure he was properly and fully gelded is to have the vet out and draw some blood.

However, I have had the following horses I personally saw gelded, mount and penetrate mares who were in heat... these are my dirty boys: Derby, Jack, and Eclipse. Derby was gelded as a senior stallion, Eclipse at 12mos, and Jack at 6mos.

Additionally, my riding horse has been caught at the same activity. He was a gelding when I bought him and I don't doubt he is really a gelding, but he has been known to entertain the ladies. One member here, CKC / Kim, is a friend of mine and we used to board our big horses at the same farm. Her mare and my Rocket had a fling and her girl *really* had the hots for Rocket
default_laugh.png

The things to worry about are:

1) is the gelding introducing foreign material/infection into your breeding mares?

2) Is the gelding truely infertile? (only way to verify is to attempt a semen collection)

3) Is the gelding and mare willing, ie nobody getting hurt?

It is normal for the occasional gelding to breed mares, but it isn't terribly common. Most geldings just don't care
default_smile.png

Nathan makes a very good point; it is risky for the mare's reproductive health for a gelding to penetrate her. There is a good possibility of introducing infective agents; most geldings aren't exactly 'clean' all the time--this may not bother them, but what's 'living' without harm on the penis could be a different story inside the anaerobic environment inside of a mare.

I'd keep this horse AWAY from mares, period.

Most geldings WON'T behave this way, but certainly, there IS the occasional one that will. I have a little mare now who, when she comes in direct contact w/all of my other geldings (she 'lived' with one for a long time until he went to a new home recently, and she had NO 'sexual' interest in him, at any time)...and comes in heat, will ' make up to' a couple of them, big time. They just try to ignore her!

But, many years ago, I had a 'big' Paint mare who would do this w/ my 'big' geldings---and the only one who EVER responded, actually making an effort to mount and with a 'semi' erection, was an ELDERLY 'bombproof' old guy we had borrowed for my kids! Sweetest old horse EVER, but the 'hussy' mare finally 'got to' him--and he was the LAST one I'd have thought would respond that way!

Margo

Personally, unless YOU saw the castration take place I would have a vet pull blood and check his testosterone levels to be sure. I've seen crypts passed off as a geldings to buyers before. I have also seen horses come in for a crypt surgery after the referring vet took the one dropped testicle too.

Many years ago I bought a pony that appeared to be a gelding, but was very studdish around mares.
default_rolleyes.gif
I had my vet to examine him, and he found scar tissue where apparently a farmer had "gelded" him using a band like you would use on a goat or calf.
default_new_shocked.gif
This doesn't work the same way on a horse, so the vet had to go in and finish the job. Are you sure this boy was gelded by a vet?

Nathan makes a very good point; it is risky for the mare's reproductive health for a gelding to penetrate her. There is a good possibility of introducing infective agents; most geldings aren't exactly 'clean' all the time--this may not bother them, but what's 'living' without harm on the penis could be a different story inside the anaerobic environment inside of a mare.
I'd keep this horse AWAY from mares, period.

Margo
Nathan and Margo are correct. Even though the mares aren't at risk for becoming pregnant they ARE at risk for a whole host of possible infections, etc. I have a rescue, Wiz, that was gelded at my property. I saw it and know it was done properly. For those who may remember, I took pics and posted them, of the process...which really freaked some of the guys out!
default_laugh.png
Anywho...Wiz started mounting, penetrating, etc. mare that were in season. So, I had him checked and sure enough...bacteria!
default_new_shocked.gif
Had to flush 7 mares!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
It was a costly process and totally avoidable had I known a gelding would penetrate a mare. I would certainly keep him away from mares you actually hope to breed. It's just not worth the risk IMO.

I had a cat that I never let out until he was neutered. He went out and started fighting and looking for girls. So I went back to the vet and told him what cuddles was doing. The vet gave me female hormones to calm him down and after a month it did the trick. I know it is is not a horse but the principal is the same.

We have a POA gelding that is mounting our Appy mares, acts very studdy, etc. He has been doing this for the past 3 yrs that we've had him. I asked the Vet once and he said that he may be a cryptorchid, because he has to be getting testosterone from somewhere! He said he might be able to tell by ultrasound but if he is, the surgery is expensive and often times complicated. None of our mares have gotten pregnant but it isn't for his lack of trying!!

Do have him checked. I bought a pony last year that was a 5 year old gelding(even checked didnt find anything). Come spring he was very hard to work with so sold him. Come to find out he was a 3 year old stallion.........luckly he didnt get anything bred.

Thanks everyone. Yes we definately seperated them right away. The mare was definately "willing" so neither off them showed any signs of kicking biting etc.

The vet did actually come out that evening for another matter and we spoke to him about it and he looked at the two horses. He didn't feel the need to get a sample to check for fertility at that stage.

I will also check with the previous owner who had him gelded. I would have thought when she gave notice of gelding to the registrar for it to go on his registration cert. that she would have had to have given some sort of proof ie vet certificate but I am not certain about that. I will check.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone, it is much appreciated!
default_smile.png

ps I also was speaking to another lady grazing at the same farm and her mare and gelding had been having a spring fling also! Maybe there is something in the water out there lol.

Latest posts

Back