OMG!!! LARRY!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
WORLD CHAMPION Open Jumper! and he's only 30" or something like that. He FLIES! I think this is the second, third year he has done this!

He must be a wonderful athelete with a tremendous mind and heart!

Awesome! My heart is in my throat watching him. He's so little you can't even SEE him as he approaches the jumps.

Wow.

oh, I forgot....Wizards Spell Troubles Exemplary (Larry). Owned by Sunset Mountain Miniatures

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I have been glued to the computer all morning and wanted another chance to watch him. He is SO consistent. He also won the Youth 13-18 yrs Jumper class too. Actually, today was Amateur Jumper so he has another shot this year in Open!

I love watching his movements!! For about a week that's all I did was watch him and one of his foals on youtube!
default_smile.png

Congratulations Larry, unbelievable!!! And also to Daniel and Carla Crider Larry's loving and proud owners!

You MUST go on You Tube or their website sunsetmountainminiatures and watch Larry's foals jump just for the fun of it as little babies!

Larry is pretty fun to watch, they just started round 2 of Open Jumper for anyone who hasnt seen him jump before. Back number 168 I believe.

Edited to add, he has now cleared round 2 and there will be a round 3 as there was another clean run already.

If Larry is 168, then I caught one round of his jumping, when I turned it on, it was his turn. He's a jumping machine.

He's been doing it for several years. Here are his World Champion and Reserve World Champion BEFORE this year:

SHOW RESULTS

[Top] YEAR CLASS RESULT

2007 OPEN JUMPER RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION

2009 YOUTH JUMPER 13 TO 17 WORLD CHAMPION

2009 OPEN JUMPER WORLD CHAMPION

2010 YOUTH JUMPER 13 TO 17 RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION

2010 AMATEUR JUMPER WORLD CHAMPION

2010 OPEN JUMPER WORLD CHAMPION

2011 YOUTH JUMPER 13 TO 17 WORLD CHAMPION

2011 AMATEUR JUMPER RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION

2011 OPEN JUMPER RESERVE WORLD CHAMPION

AMAZING little horse!

I certainly agree that Larry is a great jumper and gives our boy, Iona Excalibur a run for his money. Larry is definately a little horse with a great heart. I don't want to take anything away form his outstanding accomplishments. However, I don't know where the idea that Larry was World Champion in Open Jumper in 2012 came from.

Excalibur (Cal) is 17 years old, 32 1/2" and the only Jumper class he shows in is Open Jumper. He was World Champion in Open Jumper in 2012, 2011, 2007, 2006 and 2004. He has been Reserve World Champion in 2010, 2005 and 2000. Cal has a total of 314.5 Honor Roll points in Open Jumper in his career and will win his 6th consecutive Honor Roll Championship this year with 45 points. In 2011, Cal showed at 9 shows and was undefeated. In 2012, he also showed at 9 shows and was first at all but one, where he placed 2nd.

Excalibur was bred and born here at Iona Farm and has been trained exclusively by Ashley Harris, now of Versatility Training Center. Cal and Larry have placed 1-2 at the Worlds several times and we're looking forward to another hotly contested, but friendly competition in 2013.

It was immediately corrected, ionafarm. It was just a mix-up as the OP thought she was watching the Open jumper when it was actually amateur i believe. I think we all love Excalibur too
default_smile.png
Both great athletes and congrats on your win!

Yes Larry is a great little horse and I am pleased to call his half sister, Wizards Spell Troubles Mattie mine. She looks like Larry but is taller at 34". :)

I certainly apologize 'ionafarm'. What with running back and forth between barn and computer I got mixed up on classes and I for sure wouldn't want to take away from any horse's spectacular performance.

These jumping horses just blow me away. Not only the HEIGHTs they jump, but the fact that they do it and seem to 'like' doing it! Just think....with a full size horse the rider is using various aids to direct the horse and encourage a winning performance. With a miniature the horse must:

# 1, love what he is doing

# 2, be physically capable of doing it

# 3, have a trainer and a handler who didn't do anything to mess the horse up and who the horse TRUSTS to not get him in trouble.....because there is NO WAY the handler can encourage the horse to jump when said handler is at the end of an 8 foot lead.

It's just awesome!

Charlotte,

Apology accepted, no offense taken. Larry and Cal are both the cream of the crop when it comes to jumping. You got it exactly right on what it takes to be a great mini jumper. There are minis who just love to jump. Cal's sire, Iona Early Riser, was like that, but he was so excited doing it, he was hard to control and keep up with. He would have been the best if they offered "Liberty Jumping", as he would go over jumps on his own, with no handler, if allowed out in a paddock with jumps. Unfortunately, back in the mid '90's when we were jumping Riser, Ashley wasn't yet a teenager and physically was not up to handling such an ethusiastic horse in the show ring.

Ashley has worked with many other horses and can tell the ones that either will love jumping or hate it in short order. There are some that will become good jumpers, but not until they have learned to trust the trainer/handler. It is important for the trainer/handler to stay in tune with the horse. The horse must know that the handler won't interfere with his natural jumping style and posture. There are times where someone has come to Ashley to "fix" their jumper and she winds up working mostly with the handler. The horse must trust the handler, but the handler must also trust the horse. Its interesting to carefully watch the videos of jumping classes and pick up the subtle cues that the handler can give that may send the horse an unintended message or a seemingly small action which interferes with the horses natural jumping posture or style. In all of our jumping photos taken at shows, not only is Cal's positioning as he goes over the jump identical from event to event, but so is Ashley's. If Ashley wasn't wearing different clothing, you would think they are all the same photo.

Another interesting note is that Cal loves applause from the crowd. Whether at a show or a demonstration, if he gets applause from the crowd, he becomes even more enthusiastic. I'm not sure if other Jumpers get motivation from that, but Cal sure does.

Latest posts

Back