Older Producing Broodmares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SampleMM

Reaction score
How old is your oldest producing broodmare? Inquiring minds want to know.
default_wink.png

I have quite a few mares at the moment who are 18-21 and they are very healthy and at good weights so a couple are bred for next year and a couple others had foals this year. We had a 26-28 year old mare get bred accidentally once and foal/nurse without issues. Not saying i'd normally breed a mare of that age, but she had no trouble and kept her weight so there was a happy ending to that 'oops'.

16 here, and 14. Both are bred to my King Supreme son for 2012 foals.

Our oldest is 24. She just had her last foal this year. She was bred because she forced her way in with the stallion.

default_saludando.gif
my sweety has just turn 16 and this is her 4 foal

sweety is due to foal any day now first foal with me

wish she would hurry up
default_impatient.jpg
:impatient:
default_impatient.jpg
:impatient:
default_impatient.jpg

Our oldest is a mare we raised, she is 23. She had a nice filly this year that is a keeper.

We have two aged broodmares - a 20 year old and a 21 year old . They were both open this year and are now in foal for spring 2012 babies. Both are in excellent condition and "blooming" good health. We take it a year at a time, carefully considering their condition before we consider breeding.

Wow, thanks for the replies! It's good to know that some are still producing into their twenties. I have one older broodmare that I just love. Again, thanks for the replies.

I wonder if the older mares start to miss a year as they age, if they have been an "every" year foaler?

I had a mare that would only foal every other year and also, I have a couple that will not allow breeding with a foal at side.

Interesting topic. Thanks for posting.

We have a 23 year old in foal for 2012. She is an awesome mare.

We only breed every other year so they have a chance to raise their foal and not have an additional drain of being in foal.

I just recently bought a 21 year old mare with a filly at side and bred back for next year. She is a little under weight but with the pasture/hay situation what it is and she is a very heavy milker I'm not surprised. Pouring the 16% feed to her 2x a day, wish I was home to give her a midday feeding as well.

Back