Older Mares are GREAT MOMS and can surprise us too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
FIRST of all.......Taffy is a "B" mini (50% Arenosa), and has been in with our ASPC/AMHR 100% Arenosa Stallion, El Dorado. Taffy is TWENTY-TWO (Bless her heart)........and you wouldn't know it..........

We did NOT think she was pregnant. She was put back with El Dorado over the winter to "keep him company" and showed heat this Spring to him.........(The little hussy)..........

This morning while I was feeding another group, my daughter and her 13 year old (horse crazy) cousin, Casey, went on to grain other groups..........I was to follow with the hay cart......... The next thing I hear is Casey screaming --

"Maryann!!! There's a baaabbbyyyy!!!!"

Larry came running out of the house and met up with me running too.........At first we couldn't figure out which mare was the mom! There was another mare in El Dorado's paddock (Misty) that we knew was pregnant and we were getting ready to pull to the barn for "foal watch". But BOTH Misty AND Taffy were running with a little black colt. After a few moments of observation, we realized that Taffy had suddenly dropped a bunch of weight and her hind end was still wet.

It also didn't take a rocket scientist to see that when Larry went and started carrying off the foal, it was TAFFY who followed.... Everyone else hunkered down to eat their morning grain. It was probably an interesting looking parade with Larry holding the baby, me with Taffy, and the two girls (our daughter and her cousin) close behind as we headed to the barn........

We put them into a foaling stall and gave the little one his navel dip and Selenium Shot, mom got wormed and dish of grain. He already knew where his groceries came from and within 15 minutes of being stalled presented us with his meconium, so no enema needed.

We are naming him "Casey's Supprender" (which means Surprise in Spanish). He LOOKS black. His dam is a silver bay pinto. His sire is a PALOMINO pinto.........I suspect he is a SMOKEY (Silver) BLACK????

Sorry for the long post.........but nothing is EVER simple in this family!

DSC_0700.jpg

DSC_0696.jpg

The gal in the second photo is our wonderful little "horse crazy" Casey.

how cute!!~!
default_wub.png
Your mare is beautiful she does not show her age at all!
default_new_shocked.gif
What an adorable little boy too! I bet all three girls are so proud (mama and the human girls LOL!)

Hey Folks! What do you think about color??? Am I wrong? Dam is silver bay pinto.........Sire is Palomino pinto. I'm calling him a Smokey Black.

Congratulations!!! What a special surprise, and I have to say your mare has a GORGEOUS eye!!!

He is a little doll with a gorgeous head!
default_wub.png
And yes, silver black is what he is I'd bet. Congratulations!

Hey Folks! What do you think about color??? Am I wrong? Dam is silver bay pinto.........Sire is Palomino pinto. I'm calling him a Smokey Black.

The best way to tell if he is a smokey black is to look at his eyes. Are they a funky color? Not blue, not brown but kind of a cloudy blueish brownish color? If so then he is probably a smokey black, if not, then my guess is he is a regular black.

Riverdance, YES. They are "funky"........Larry was wondering if they were homocrymatic....or however you spell it, because they are different.

What also make his color interesting is that his palomino pinto sire's mom is a dun........and this little guy has a line down his back. So we were also questioning whether he could be grullo? (I'm still leaning toward smoky black) This the first time we've ever questioned a foal's color.

Last edited by a moderator:
Riverdance, YES. They are "funky"........Larry was wondering if they were homocrymatic....or however you spell it, because they are different.
What also make his color interesting is that his palomino pinto sire's mom is a dun........and this little guy has a line down his back. So we were also questioning whether he could be grullo? (I'm still leaning toward smoky black) This the first time we've ever questioned a foal's color.
Many foals will have lines down their back and many times it is an indication of their future color rather than being a dun. I had a filly born 2 years ago that looked like a buckskin with a black line down her back. I did some research on her color as based upon her parents colors, there was no way she could be a buckskin. I even DNA'd her to make sure my buckskin stallion did not accidently get her dam. She ended up being a black pinto when she got older.

Since your foal has a funky eye color, he is definatly a smokey black.

Wow! A big surprise and a BIG congratulations to all of you!!! Mom looks great!!!!

Liz R.

Maryann,

What a wonderful surprise!! :)

Love his name! And both he and his dam are really beautiful!

Susan O.

Oh MA he is just adorable!!! Talk to Cheryl Powell about old mares. Her oldie Flame is the same age about and had a gorgeous baby this year too.

Lyn

WOW! Good girl Taffy! MA that colt is beautiful and his head is gorgeous!
default_wub.png

Congratulations!! What a dandy he is.

I know what you mean about nothing ever being easy, it's the same at our farm. I too had a foal this year from a mare who had not foaled in 5 years and was presumed barren/shut down. Never in a million years did I think this mare would have a baby and she also did not show any signs of being bred. This is the kind of "tough" I don't mind dealing with though.

Congrats again!

Kelly

He is a beautiful Supprender for sure and that picture of him with Casey chokes me up
content.gif

Latest posts

Back