Old friends are gold

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've heard the saying "new friends are silver and old friends are gold". My avatar horse, Dapper Dan, is 18 this year. Last fall he was diagnosed with arthritis and bone spurs. He's been on Adequan and joint supplement for a year and is doing great. One reason I was so anxious to get a new horse driving is to spare Dapper Dan. Yesterday I took him out for a drive and it was so wonderful to just go out and ENJOY the drive and not have to think about training! Two miles was a little challenge to his stamina, since he isn't working much any more, but he seemed to enjoy it himself. He's been a little jealous of these upstarts getting so much attention.

Dapper Dan is not a polished performer and has several little quirks, but we understand each other pretty well by now.

With care, I am hoping we can drive together for several more years.

I have an oldie goldie as well. My big guy was 22 yrs this April. He actually sulks and goes off his feed if I don't ride him at least once during each of my visits to NC. It is so nice to be able to get on and just go. He has his quirks too. He'll go through anything as long as it's not clear water. That we have to back into then all is good and he wants to play in it. Silly boy!!!

I have my pair of golden oldies, too, now having some health issues.

I started training them in harness - often with updates here - in 2010 when Bit was 19 and Bell was 18. Bit has since lost the sight in her eye and drives better as a pair with Koalah (now Bell is driving as a pair with her daughter, GG, as they move more similarly). I haven't driven Bit in quite some time by herself and it may not work, but I really think that she's lost some condition this year not just due to age but from lack of a job.

We shall see...

I like just being able to go out and "do it" w/o all the constant schooling or training, too. It's both funny and fun how you learn about each individuals' quirks!!

I had never heard the saying you posted in your original post. I think I want to put that on a sign and post over my SR Mares feed shed!!! That's so cool and sooooo true!

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember how fun it was to just get on my boy and just ride him without having to worry about his form etc and he really enjoyed that into his later 20's, it still gave him a job vs just standing out in the field grazing day after day.

Latest posts

Back