Old Clothes

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tony

Reaction score
In 1955 my mother, Loy, made these "show clothes" for my sister Marcia and me. My dad was the manager of Hi-Line Shetland Pony Farm in Greeley, Colorado, owned by Don and Maxine Vestal at the time. For the Adams County Rodeo that year the rodeo promoters decided to have a "surprise Queen." The picture in the corner is of one of our Shetland mares, Ms. Adams and her filly, dressed in a "Brownie" uniform. They were the surprise and were presented by Marcia and me.

Now to the present: Our grand-kids, Grayson and Ella Taylor came for a visit from NYC where they live. They scheduled their summer visit to coincide with a show in San Antonio. Lauren, their aunt, worked with them for a couple of sessions before the show and then they made their debut, wearing Marcia and my outfits from fifty-seven years ago. On the back of the shirts there is a Shetland who was a Congress winner back in the 50's, Little Masterpiece, one of the stallions of Hi-Line! Grayson who turned seven in May won five first place trophies and showed in Youth Costume, Showmanship 7 & Under, Youth Classic Pleasure Driving (sitting in Lauren's lap and did a great time for his second time to hold the reins!), Youth Mares and Youth Geldings. Ella did the same classes except for driving and won Showmanship under all three judges. We were amazed at how well they handled the horses and how quickly they absorbed Lauren's teaching.

The best part of all was that Mother, 87, was able to attend the show, as did Marcia. What fun to see the kids in our "old clothes".
Familycompred.jpg

What wonderful memories!! Thanks for sharing.

WOW thos grandkids are sure growing up! Seems like yesterday when.....well, you know, LOL, we are aging.

Wish my kids and grandaughter were interested in the horses.....
default_worshippy.gif
.....makes it worth while to keep doing, in some ways. Alas, mine just didn't get the bug.

Last edited by a moderator:
How cool - what a treat to be able to use those clothes and for your Mom to enjoy it too

and to have the picture from yesterday and today

Thanks for sharing with us Tony

and big congrats to your grand children

I wish we had little ones who were interested in showing

That is too cool, Tony! LOVE it! Thanks for sharing!!!!

Liz N.

Love the photos and the story. Congrats to all and so great that Mom was there to enjoy. Thanks for sharing.

Oh WOW ... that is so awesome! My little 4 yr. old granddaughter really likes to come feed and watch me groom, etc... she seems interested and the horses love her too. My daughter-in-law is a city girl and was into dance and sports and marrying my son is her first intro to country life. If she continues to have an interest, I sure will be there to encourage her!

Latest posts

Back