Okay fess up..is it just ME

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

littlesteppers

Reaction score
aktion033.gif
How many on here that do the pregnaMare test stare at the teststrip when the last step is completed..even it says it takes 10 min for the second dot to appear..I constantly check..after 4 min you can see it a wee bit..LOL..can you tell I just had 3 tested positive!! Wahooo...
laugh.gif
aktion033.gif

Going to use one tomorrow but I try to have something else to do while it is running. Never works, I want to know now LOL. But love the ease of the test and that I can do it myself.

minimomNC said:
Going to use one tomorrow but I try to have something else to do while it is running.  Never works,  I want to know now  LOL.  But love the ease of the test and that I can do it myself.
430168[/snapback]

Ohoh..good luck to you!! let us know..k?
aktion033.gif

I have never tried them..are they pretty accurate??

Are they the ones that you prick their noses for some blood???

I usually have the "wait and see" method of checking mares..or the hugging the belly around Feb. method
rolleyes.gif
..but this sounds interesting!!!

How much do the tests cost and how accurate are they? How early do they work?

Ginny Long

Don't waste your money. They came up neg 3x on my mare, sold her and now she has a beautiful pinto filly at her side! My vet said they do not work as well on minis as they do on large horses for some reason
ohmy.gif

Good Luck to all

Alison

BriarwoodMinis said:
Don't waste your money.  They came up neg 3x on my mare, sold her and now she has a beautiful pinto filly at her side!  My vet said they do not work as well on minis as they do on large horses for some reason 
ohmy.gif

Good Luck to all

Alison

430214[/snapback]

Now thats interesting I use them now the 4th year and test a average of 5 mares each year..NEVER had a wrong result!!

I have used them eight different times in two different years and have 100% accuracy with them. I am new to them but so far they have been great. But you do have to follow the directions very carefully. And always make sure you are within the days the test are good for.

This is my first year to use them. I tested three mares. Two showed positive and one negative. The one that was negative had been pastured with my stallion, but had shown heat about four weeks earlier. (I was wondering if she might be one that shows heat even after bred, but apparently not.)

I later tested three mares including retesting the one that had tested negative earlier. She tested negative again. This time I was really disappointed. I wondered if it was right, but then a week later she came into heat again. I guess maybe she needs a checkup by her gynocologist.
wacko.gif

On the other two, one tested positive and one negative. The one that tested negative has her first foal this year. Last year I had two mares that had their first foal and neither of them bred back until after their foals were weaned, so I'm not too worried about this one.

I bought mine before the price went up, but now it is almost as cheap to have an ultrasound as it is to buy the test. The biggest problem is taking them to the vet.

I am not breeding any this time of year because I don't want any new foals in this opressive heat. I will try to catch a few mares for September or early October babies next year.

I'm guilty.....I stare at that thing from the very first second, I get so nervous! I love the ease of this test and love that I dont have to take off of work to haul them all in for ultrasounds. The less I have to trailer my horses the happier I am. Tested 3 of my mares last year w/this test, all were positive and this year I have 3 babies on the ground! Christine I'll be watching for Pregnamare test next week-thanks for the heads up.

BriarwoodMinis said:
Don't waste your money.  They came up neg 3x on my mare, sold her and now she has a beautiful pinto filly at her side!  My vet said they do not work as well on minis as they do on large horses for some reason 
ohmy.gif

Good Luck to all

Alison

430214[/snapback]

I find that strange too. I've used Prenamare tests for years & have had 100% accuracy with them. ALWAYS!

You DO have to be very careful & follow the instructions exactly. May I ask why you tested your mare THREE times?

I used the test the first time and it showed neg. results. I then had the vet come out a month later and perform a blood test and it came back neg. Just before I sold her she looked prego and I wanted to make sure so she was tested again 4 months before she delivered and came back neg. May just be that mare but I will only go by a ultrasound now.

Alison

I find it strange, too. We've had 100% accuracy on the PregnaMare tests here and love it!

Christine, yep, I cheat with ya! LOL

Debi

Last year is the first year that I had one come up negative and lo and behold the mare has a colt at her side right now. LOL!

I tested Red Snow at day 56 this year and it came back negative, but she still has yet to show me any signs of coming back in heat and she is a real teaser sooooooo............. I am going to test her for a second time and see what we come up with now. She should be about 80 - 85 days now.

I know that you can get false negatives, but never a false positive. I am a Little Tiny bit disappointed as all the years prior to now I have had 100 percent accuracy. Last year was the absolute first time that I got a negative and had a foal the next year.

In answer to your question littlesteppers - Yes I think I start watching it the second I finish up LOL!! I just can't hardly wait for the result!!
biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
I may have to try a few Pregnamare tests. I have some mares that I just won't have ultrasounded, they hate it and won't even sedate well to have it done.

How much are the tests, seems like I've seen them for $40 to $45?

Hi All:

Is there a U.S. supplier of the PregnaMare tests?
unsure.gif
I did a net search and found a supplier in Australia, but they are sold out at this time and not expecting to get more until August.

Hahahaha I liked the comment about waiting until winter and determining pregancy via a bear hug. Our method has been similar. Squat and watch for tummy shaking during feeding time!
wink.gif

Thanks for any info about the PregnaMare tests.
yes.gif

Dawn
saludando.gif

Christine, at what day can these be used. I am stuck. Vet palpated each mare and thought she felt something, then ultrasounded and saw nothing. Only one came back into heat. Maybe a blood test will help me??

Latest posts

Back