Okay color folks! I got one for ya.......

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mizbeth

Reaction score
This is little fella in one month old today. I clipped him this morning........and boy was I surprised! He was bright red when he was born, then turned a buckskin color on his baby hair.

He appears to be a bay overo, BUT he has a dorsal stripe, leg barring (nearly 8 to each leg), shoulder bar, neck bar. Is he a Dun? Or Bay? Someone said cause his mane/tail are black he cannot be a dun? As a dun has the same color mane/tail as the body color. His momma dam is a red dun but only has a few leg bars and dorsal stripe. His momma dam was red dun with lots of leg barring etc...........

Daddy is bay overo Alamo Streakers Mime.

miquel.jpg

http://hometown.aol.com/minimime1/images/m...from%20rear.jpg

(For some reason this one does not open but you can highlight it and open in your browser. I will try to fix it tho
default_smile.png
)

Somebody told me he was a buckskin???????Due to dilute of dun?

Beth

Of course he can have a black mane and tail with a dun gene! I believe it's called zebra dun. Red dun is sorrel with the dun gene. They are self-colored mane and tail.

Buckskins do NOT have a dorsal or leg barring. Now, you COULD have a buckskin WITH a dun gene. That will give you a line backed, striped horse with buckskin coloring.

What color is mama and dad?

Lucy

Grulla overo, and what a pretty boy!

Grulla is like a sooty dun...has the dark points, dorsal stripe, primitive features (shoulder barring, leg stripes) may or may not be there, mane and tail are typically dark brown/black but I recently learned they can have white to them (like a norwegian (sp?) fjord).

I think dun or grulla, i'm leaning towards grulla!

I think he's possibly grullo ( grulla's are girls
default_smile.png
). WHATEVER his color is correctly called, he looks VERY VERY nice
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Since the clipped coat bears little or no resemblance to the true coat colour it is imp[possible to say from clipped photos- it would just be guessing!!

Buckskins can have a dorsal, Duns MUST have a dorsal.

I do not think he is either- I think he is a Bay- but could you put up pics of him in full coat???

Hi

Well we gotta wait now on full coat photo. :aktion033: He was bright deep red at birth and his coat color last night was that of a pretty adult buckskin. I can post the first born one for you. It was a real surprise clipping him.

You are correct on clipped colors but primarily baby clipped colors. He appears a silvery bay so can/could either way.

Lucy

His dam is red dun and sire bay overo. I finally found the Equine Colors web page. Yes, it says you can have a bay dun and they do of course have black mane/tails. But you could be correct, since I have had one grullo colt (different stallion - but from dam to momma of this colt) As I recall he clipped off this color too and later was more slate - dark silvery color.

It will be fun to see what colors he turns as he matures.

I dunno Beth, I think I need to see him HERE in the sun to decide if he's bay or gullo..I'll wait up :bgrin

Yeah Sandii,

You will like him.............
default_wink.png
: He should fit your CHROME On The Range criteria.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since his color is a little unusual.....he needs to come live with his Uncle Tommy. He'd fit right in here!
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

I think he's possibly grullo ( grulla's are girls
default_smile.png
). WHATEVER his color is correctly called, he looks VERY VERY nice
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

Whoops! My bad! Ok I am learning something new here...so is the color grullo for boys and grulla for girls, OR is grullo the color, and grulla means "girl" in a different language??

LOL I am so confused! When am I NOT confused =)

You know, I forget if it's properly "grullo" or "grulla" but I think Jill is tweaking you that in Spanish the endings are either masculine or feminine and match whatever you're talking about. However I would remind Jill that some things are not changed to match the subject but remain masculine or feminine (whichever) in any context. I think this color's name is one of them!
default_wink.png
:

Leia

I could not really give two hoots what colour he is- Mud Dun??

I think he's AWFUL, and I think the pattern is cruddy, too.

I think you should send him over to me so I can hide him for you.

I'll let you know what colour he turns out.

Eventually.

Maybe
default_smile.png

Since the clipped coat bears little or no resemblance to the true coat colour it is imp[possible to say from clipped photos- it would just be guessing!!

Buckskins can have a dorsal, Duns MUST have a dorsal.

I do not think he is either- I think he is a Bay- but could you put up pics of him in full coat???
Yeah for Rabbit :aktion033: I can not tell you how many arguments I get into over Shooter!!! I had him tested, he is a buckskin. His dam buckskin... her sire buckskin..her dam solid black...Shooters sire... papers say silver bay, I think he is a bay... both of his parents are bay Hope this helps...Theresa
default_smile.png

No, Leia, I wasn't trying to help with any understanding of Spanish as I do not speak it.

What I meant is:

Grullo is for geldings, colts, stallions

Grulla is for fillies and mares

default_yes.gif
:

No, Leia, I wasn't trying to help with any understanding of Spanish as I do not speak it.
What I meant is:

Grullo is for geldings, colts, stallions

Grulla is for fillies and mares
Jill, I understood what you meant however I disagree. In Spanish I'm sure that would be correct, assuming that's the word they use for that color, but I was always taught in 4-H that the American term was "Grullo" for either a male or female. It is part of the English language now and regardless of its roots it no longer changes to match the gender of the horse in question because the English language does not distinguish between male and female.

However I hate to say something without doing my homework so you sparked me to go do some research and what I found was basically that no one really agrees.

Some agreed with me-

"Grullo is the result of the dun factor "gene" on a black horse. Grullo (used here for both masculine, and the feminine "grulla") is to black as dun is to bay, and as red dun is to sorrel."

Some agreed with you-

"Black Duns are more commonly called Grullo (GREW-yo). This is the most rarely seen shade of the Dun gene group. Since it is a Spanish word, females are referred to as Grulla (GREW-ya) and males as Grullo. This color is caused by the Dun gene on a Black."

Others have a logical explanation for why we might use both-

"Now, we come to dun on black. Technically, it is called black dun, not a very original name. However, in the Quarter horse and especially Western world, it is known as Grulla, after the Spanish word for a blue-gray crane. This is the most widely used term for this color.

And, of course, the correct pronunciation is Spanish-- "Grew-ya". You may have heard it spelled "Grullo". This is a new word that was created for a more masculine sound, and in many places it has common usage. "

From: http://www.equusite.com/articles/basics/co...orsGrullo.shtml

"Grullo - pronounced (grew-yo)

Grulla - pronounced (grew-ya)

Either of the terms are correct in describing the color. AQHA recognizes the color as grullo. The color is the diluted form of black with dun factor. In other words the black color is modified by the dun gene. "Grulla" is the Spanish word for a gray crane which is a slate-gray colored bird."

From: http://grullaorgrullo.homestead.com/files/...llo_color_5.htm

"Grulla is derived from the Spanish word for a gray crane which is a slate-gray colored bird.

In some areas Grullo is considered the masculine form of definition for the color, while grulla is considered the feminine definition of the color. It is pronounced as above, but due to its spelling rarely refered to in proper terms, and is widely accepted as grulla or grullo."

http://www.enloequarterhorses.com/inform1.php

This one says that the AQHA uses "Grullo," the two buckskin registries use "Grulla."

So I guess we're both sort of right! :aktion033: And ironically in Spanish-speaking countries it would probably be "grulla" regardless of gender because they are naming it for an object which is always feminine, in the U.S. it's often "grullo" regardless of gender. How odd! God bless the internet.
default_rolleyes.gif
: :lol:

Thanks for making me go look something up. I learned from it.
default_cheekkiss.gif
: Hope you did too!

Leia

Oh, and I don't know what color the colt in this post is but he's sure lovely.
default_wub.png
:

That's fine Leia. I still think I'm correct on the proper use of this color term in horses.

Sort of falls on deaf ears here after your PMe'd, unsolicited and unflattering critique of DunIT, who later went on to show ring successes despite the faults you found.

For the record, DunIT is my grullo National Top 10, AMHA Honor Roll show colt.

Sort of falls on deaf ears here after your PMe'd, unsolicited and unflattering critique of DunIT, who later went on to show ring successes despite the faults you found.
For the record, DunIT is my grullo National Top 10, AMHA Honor Roll show colt.
Whoa.
default_unsure.png
: First of all I want to apologize if I offended you or ever gave you the impression AT ALL that I do not like your horse. Or that I was putting him down, or that I had PM'ed you just to be negative and ruin your day. I still have that PM and I reread it just now and do not see how you could have gotten that impression. The entire thing was about hoof angles for trimming, not conformation, and I specifically stated that I was not PMing to criticize your horse. I went out of my way to compliment the conformation of your other horse even though he was not the subject of the message! I have nothing but respect and admiration for you Jill and I am horrified to realize that I apparently alienated you a long time ago and never knew it. I'm so sorry.

I only PMed you at all as a continuation of a conformation thread we had both participated in and I was excited that I had something constructive to contribute to someone I admired. I meant nothing more by it and I certainly never PM'ed to be petty and say "Your horse sucks, haha!" Good gosh. DunIt is beautiful.

And I apologize to those on this board for posting this publically, I was afraid to PM Jill again and cause further unintended aggravation.

Leia-the-contrite

Leia,

I do not know how you could have thought that I would want your critique of a colt I am so proud of, and was even before he showed so well!

Who on earth would have been glad to see a beautiful picture of a colt they love marked up in red to highlight conformation flaws you perceived?

Did you think I'd change my mind about buying him? Or try and have some kind of corrective surgery? Complain to Erica that he wasn't nice? Or what? Your critique was not exclusive to hoof angles.

I just can't imagine that anyone on this message board would feel any different about what you sent me if they received the same thing about one of their horses.

When I want opinions on my horses, guess what? I get them from people who have good taste in horses (as reflected by what they own) and I also pay for those opinions in the form of show fees.

It has been something that ticks me off every time I think of it since last summer when you took it upon yourself to evaluate what I think was one of the nicest colts born in 2005 -- and his show success actually backs up my opinion and surely not yours. Your nerve stuns me to this day.

Jill

(and, Beth, I am sorry to be venting this on a thread about your beautiful colt.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back