OK, we moved and I'm "the new kid" here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anne

Reaction score
As some of you know we recently relocated, we haven't met many of the neighbors, but a couple seem nice.

Since we moved the horses up I do get people "stopping in", every single one of them has an unregistered stallion they want to sell me because they saw the little horses turned out here now. Most let me know that the little guys aren't "real" easy to deal with, and was just a pet. A couple "thought" they had "papers" at one time. One guy called looking for a "cheap" mare to breed his little stallion too. Sure wasn't ineterested when I asked about registration, and wouldn't consider a "registered" mare, (definitely too much money then, his words not mine)

I'm trying to be real friendly and talk about the little ones and do a bit of educating. This isn't going to be easy. It seems to be a strictly money thing. Unregistered is cheap and easy to get rid of or ignore. I know I'm "generalizing" and not everyone up here can feel that way in the area, but boy after the one this morning again I'm beginning to wonder.

Way too many "cheap" little stud colts for sale up here, I am definitely gelding the colts this year, the market up here has got to change somehow.

I sure won't advertise locally based on my experiences so far. I'm really afraid they would become part of that sad little group of unwanted "pets".

Hi Anne, I'm glad to hear you got the little ones moved and settled in. I have the same up here, people stopping in and wanting minis for next to nothing. I just tell them right up front I have nothing that is unregistered and nothing in there price range (after they tell me the little they are looking to spend!) You are right--unregistered is cheap and easy to get rid of or ignore. I feel bad for these little minis that are going for "cheap" I would be so afraid that they will go from owner to owner and lord only knows where they will end up. Even some mini buyers just dont seem to care about homes anymore, just sell them off "cheap", make a few bucks, and bring some more in to resell....never even giving the home a second look! Told you---
default_wink.png
: you should of moved up my way! :bgrin
default_yes.gif
: THings are bound to turn around for you, and you will meet some wonderful mini people and become there mentor! Corinne

Here too and I will not sell locally.

My old friends back home never thought of having horses for just a short term and so easily diposable, so I'm still not used to this other way of thinking.

Even some mini buyers just dont seem to care about homes anymore, just sell them off "cheap", make a few bucks, and bring some more in to resell

You got that right Corrine.

Anne, I'm sorry to hear about your experiences with your new neighbors. Keep educating them as much as possible!! I am an owner of a small herd of unregistered mini's, but I have educated myself, and am VERY picky as to who I would sell to. So far I have not sold any, nor do I plan to sell any of my herd at the time. I do have one mare due this March and might sell the foal, but I am only considering because it is a relative that has made me an offer. So I did get my herd for cheap, but I love them just the same wether registered or not. I hope no one get's into a fury over my posts, I just wanted to speak up for the unregistered herd owners who DO CARE.

Kajunrider,

I know that EVERYONE with unregistered minis, is NOT like this. It just amazes me considering we have only been here since November how many people seem to be. No one just inerested in the minis has stopped only the owners of these little ones that they want to "sell" (get rid of) and have been surprised that they "can't" sell unruly little unregistered stallions, who were supposed to be "pets".

Somewhere things seem to have gotten messed up. I simply can't take these boys on.

It makes me aware that in this area I will not sell "pets" to local people.

They tell me where they are, how so-and-so has a little stallion,they've "lost" the papers, think he was registered once, would I buy him? Such a "cute" little guy, until you start asking about handling, attention, training, disposition. A cute little pet seems to mean put him out to eat the grass, gelding costs money.

They actually say these things. They have no idea, the impression they are making.

I haven't ever worried about or been exposed to this callousness until I moved here.

I had a little unregistered gelding way back when we started, loved him like crazy, as we moved forward, he joined the "personal ponies" program, because he was a quiet little sweetheart.

I'm just learning about the attitudes in my area. Not a pleasant surprise, who is selling these little unregistered ones to just anyone, for Approx $100????, maybe two tops?

Isn't it frustrating when people just don't seem to take minis seriously?

Anne, you take pride in your horses and that pride in them is something you earned. You may not make a lot of friends with the locals, but you are concerned about the welfare of the horses and the betterment of their breeding. That is more important (in my opinion). You are to be commended for trying to help them understand.

No, you can't take on all those poor little guys. Nor should you. Doing so will just encourage more of the same behavior.

In time, you will be hassled less as they learn that you know what you want and won't vary from that.

"Pet Ponies" certainly have their place in this world. It's just a shame that there are too many of them that are handled irresponsibly.

Keep doing what you know is right. A least now you have a good idea of who you don't want to do business with.

Look on the bright side ..now you have the chance to teach these people something.

My best/faverit mini in not registered ..i honestly couldnt care less. I take far to much pride in that little guy, i dont mind that he doesnt have a big pedigree full of horses with nice long names. But i dont do any breeding so i dont think there is much i need to worry about there. Just because there mini's they have are not registered doesnt mean these people cant show them ....fairs? local open shows??. Maybe get them into showing and they could learn a think or two.

We also live around allot of people like you live around. They just dont see the beautiful creatures infront of them that they have the chance to own. Its really sad :no:

Good Luck

Leeana

Sorry About my rant, guess I took something out on you that I shouldn't have. I have had ppl in the past sneer at me when I say I breed unregistered minis. I breed for myself, not for profit, nor to sell to any potential owner.

I hope things get better for you though, I know how it is when ppl realize you own horses and suddenly you are a rescue haven for their unwants.

Latest posts

Back