Ok this one I can't get right?????

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROSEMILL FARM

Reaction score
Hi! Guys!!

I am having a hard time with the color of this horse??? her dam is a gray and her sire is a Gold Buckskin,

her 1/2 brother is a Gray also.

The Pic. I have are not very good but see if you can help me
default_wacko.png
lol

The first is Before she got clipped-

The second is after her first clipping, her legs are darker and the tips of her ears are dark also, the rim of her eye is dark and the rest of her skin is dark but not black?? is she a light Gray? a light Buckskin? a light palomino?

Please help??? :DOH!

OK THE pic. did not come up let me try again lol :DOH!

ok I cant get them to work......

She is on my sale Page her name is Secret and she is also on the

show string page... and her brother is also on the sale page Blaze.

if someone can help please feel free.

Thanks Sarah`

Perlino or Cremello, was her mane darker than her body when she was born? What color were the grandparents on the dams side??

Well we thought perlino of Cremello also but I thought they had pink skin??? and also with her legs and ears being a darker color like a grayish, I have no clue lol on colors.

I am not sure on Grand Parents, She is in training with us I will ask her owners and see if they know????

thanks for your help.

Sarah~

By the pic on your website I'd say a light palomino, but by your description I'd say a silver buckskin

This is our silver buckskin (body color is a tad dark as she still hadn't shed compleltely)

DSCI0010.jpg

Same filly as a foal:

100_0160.jpg

Thank you, The pic of yours as a baby is what she looked like as a baby.

could she be a diluted Buckskin???

Sarah~

She looks like a blue eyed palomino. Though you say there is a grayish color to her, she may and very possibly be a gray, as gray parents throw grays over 50% of the time.

She can not be a cremello as both of her parents were not dilutes. Also, she has black pigment around her eyes, double dilutes do not have that.

default_aktion033.gif
Wow you guys are so good lol I wish I knew 1/2 about color as you all do, Well looking at her head yesterday, it is starting to get darker like a little bit golden/silver I know gold and sliver at the same time
default_wacko.png
I will take more pic of her to night and post them.

Sarah~

ok on the stallions side,, mom was marystown renegade 31 in buckskin 204300a ,and goes back to little kings santana supreme 29 in. bucksk then to kokomos little king supreme, and father was magic mans lollipop 32 in. black 967023a,, goes back to ltd,s magic man blk pinto and goes back to shredder 31 in. hope this helps.. and moms side.. moondancer is a grey and white pinto, bald face blue eyes .. belly splash she goes back tomy little romeo color unknown to me.. on her other side is komokos golden asset palamino and then to johnstons white gold,, palamino as well

This just came from her owner's

see if this helps any???

Sarah~

I am not a color expert, which is why I would suggest getting her tested. Her gray dam (or any gray in her pedigree) could be carrying almost anything. We have a gray mare that is genetically silver bay, LWO+ and homozygous for black. You could test her for cream, silver, agouti, and/or red/black to figure out what color she really is. Of course, she still might gray out, but it does help to know what color they are genetically, as you are discovering.

ok on the stallions side,, mom was marystown renegade 31 in buckskin 204300a ,and goes back to little kings santana supreme 29 in. bucksk then to kokomos little king supreme, and father was magic mans lollipop 32 in. black 967023a,, goes back to ltd,s magic man blk pinto and goes back to shredder 31 in. hope this helps.. and moms side.. moondancer is a grey and white pinto, bald face blue eyes .. belly splash she goes back tomy little romeo color unknown to me.. on her other side is komokos golden asset palamino and then to johnstons white gold,, palamino as well

This just came from her owner's

see if this helps any???

Sarah~
I know the Santana Supreme line as many of my horses are his daughters as is Windchaser his son. Renegade's dam was Lucky Girl, a big chestnut mare. Who is the dam of a mare I own, Lukcy Cheese(by Boones Little Andy). So your filly could get the dilute gene from dad, (you said that dad was a buckskin)and the red gene from his mother thus giving you a palomino. I do not think there is a silver gene in that line. You could also get the silver gene from Mom's side of the pedigree, giving you the silver buukskin. But really, it is anyones guess without updated and close in pictures of the mare in question.

There are a couple of things that you need to remember. The gray gene is a dominant gene, if you have that gene you are gray. The gray gene is also one of the stongest genes, giving you 50% gray foals.

The dilute gene is also a dominant gene. If you carry that gene, you are a dilute. (buckskin, palomino or smokey black) In order for you to have a dilute foal, AT LEAST ONE PARENT HAS TO BE A DILUTE. In order for you to have a double dilute foal (cremello, perlino or smokey cream) BOTH PARENTS HAVE TO BE DILUTE. Dilute does not go back a generation. Some people think that if their bay,or chestnut's sire or dam is a palomnino or buckskin, that perhaps their horse carries the dilute gene and can pass it on. THEY CAN NOT. Not unless they are themselves a dilute. Same goes for the gray gene. If your gray mare should produce 10 gray babies and one black. The black baby will never produce a gray, unless bred to a gray.

There are a lot of smaller genes that help produce the colors you get, like the silver gene,that could be hidden and give you the silver bays and silver buckskins as well as the silver dapples.

Looking forward to seeing the pictures

So she could be perlino or cremello as both parents could be dilute, the grey of course would hide the dams base color.

Is the dam a true grey, or is she a silver (often registered as grey?).

Well when I saw the mother she was a Gray Dapple, what would make her a silver?

and also do you think that the color on her face could be her graying out???(I know I know I have to take pic. tonight lol)

How do you all know so much about color?? I want to know more is there a book? or a website?

And how do you test them for colors? Does the vet have to do it?

Sarah~

OK I'm confused. Did you say the dam is grey or buckskin? If she is buckskin she can not (as Riverdance pointed out) have a grey foal by a black stallion. Pics would sure help.

Well the Mare is a Dappled Gray with a belly splash and a bald face. Her Sire (the fillies sire) is a buckskin.

Sarah~

I am having a hard time putting pic on this, the filly is on my Sale page and show string her name is secret her gray dapple brother is also on the sale page blaze of glory

Well the Mare is a Dappled Gray with a belly splash and a bald face. Her Sire (the fillies sire) is a buckskin.Sarah~

I am having a hard time putting pic on this, the filly is on my Sale page and show string her name is secret her gray dapple brother is also on the sale page blaze of glory

Ok, this is just my opinion of what's going on, but after going back and looking at her brother, I would definitely call him a SILVER BLACK DAPPLE not gray, so I have a feeling this filly's dam is also a SILVER and not gray, therefore since the mare is a black based silver and the stallion is buckskin (also black based) I'm still sticking to the filly being a silver buckskin

Here is a good place to start and they also do the testing for you if you send in some pulled mane hairs (and some money!). You can also see the coat color possibilities based on sire and dam colors if you use the "coat color calculator".

http://www.horsetesting.com/Equine.htm

Latest posts

Back