Ok, I start the new thread for new members

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChrystalPaths

Reaction score
I copied and pasted my answer on Frankie's thread about her mare. One asked the question: "what is cast?" We have so many new members I figure its time for a review and share session for those new to us and/or minis. Please share your experiences and solutions.

My stallion Glow got badly cast in his stall this year and he may never be right again. I can only pray. Here is my reply to Carolyn. (And Carolyn...I hope your mare and foal continue to improve)

FIRST...there are NO stupid questions.

Being cast means a horse has lay down but too close to the wall or fence or gate with their legs on the inside wall side rendering them unable to get enough purchase to push up and back to get up. They struggle and wiggle and scrabble the walls many ending up side down.

It is very scary and important to get them up safely. One usually will grab the down side legs and roll. If that is not possible drag the horse away from the wall by the tail or rear leg just pivoting the angle the horse lies and help them up.

Check gum color and body temp. Many go into shock from the feaf, lack of water and blood flow. Banamine is super important for serious casts until you can get vet help if needed. Offer water room temp and soft hay. No grain for a while. Sometimes a sponge bath with tepid water is super if they are are sweated up.

The most important thing is to keep the horse calm and not hurting yourself or it while fixing the cast. Some panic and kick and thrash. It is worth the minute to take and calm and pet your horse assuring it that you will help. Use a soft calm voice and gentle hand. Panic and fast moves can only make things worse.

Remember your horse is already tired and scared and you are it's mom and he/she knows you will save her/him. Hope I explained it well. I hope others will give their input also. Maybe it's time for a new thread on casting again. We have so many new members.

Thank You for that information Dimimore....I never even knew about cast until last year from reading something about it here.

Are there any type of stall walls that can be built to keep them from casting themselves?

Thanks again

Jessica

Several companies sell a product called "No-Cast Stall Strips". Cost for a stall is around $300 +-. My glow now spends his nites out in the run in shed attached to my barn which is 15'x32'.

Do you know how those strips keep them from casting? Are they bent or something so the horse could just roll back over? Just wondering b.c when I get my own place and build the barn I think I may want them put in there so I would not have worry about cast. Thank You.

Jessica

The "cast strips" allow the horse to be able to get its feet on a spot where they do not slide and they can push themselves back over. if i recall correctly, they are sold by the "foot". You put them up on the stall walls at a certain height.

a student i gave dressage lessons to about 10 years ago lost her arab gelding when he became CAST during the night.

i had a mare get cast when foaling in a box stall once, but luckily i found her right away and was able to finish delivering the baby and roll her back over. She never really wanted her foal after that, tho she did let it nurse if we tied her up. she had no maternal instict (or due to fear?) and would leave the barn without her foal.

jennifer
saludando.gif

Well, I'll bump this seeing as Marty stole the forum today.
aktion033.gif

OH Sorry DEB!

Yes I have had big horses get cast. Hate that when I'm alone. I"ve had to take the back legs with a big lead rope on them and pull, pull, and pull.....not an easy thing.

Nick has a place he likes to roll right by his fence and I swear to pete why he has to roll that close to the fence boggles the mind. He hasn't got cast yet there, but I tell you he sure might.

Latest posts

Back