ok I give up

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you happen to go back to your old thread you'll see you have 10 posts and people are still adding. I don't post on a lot of "advice" type threads because what works for me may not work for you. Each horse is different and the areas we live in are different and offer different types and quality of feed. Best to ask your vet when all else fails.
whistling.gif

kaykay said:
i read your post and didnt respond.  here is why. 
I have responded to tons of posts on how to feed their mini etc.  I have found that rarely is the advice ever taken
smile.gif
  Also after seeing what Marty posted i just kinda sighed and gave up.  I LOVE MARTY.  Just ask her LOL.  But I dont agree with her thoughts on alfalfa.  Everytime i post about feeding alfalfa i get flamed.  So now i rarely post on any post asking about feeding.  While im on the subject though i will say this (for what its worth) Keeping your feeding simple is best.  I have seen feed plans on here that i just cant believe!  I really dont think you have to feed a horse tons of supplements, grain etc etc.  Keeping it simple is best for you and your horse. 

466226[/snapback]

Kay, I have to agree that most people just do not want to get into the big ALFALFA DEBATE. So when somebody posts something like that I don't take the time to argue as it usually falls on deaf ears. I too have fed alfalfa to all my horses including minis to no ill effects. Infact I could not imagine not feeding it. You walk thru the major Arabian show barns in the country today and you would not see most of them feeding anything but. I am also not saying that I do not feed other types of hay along with the alfalfa either. And as for the rest of the stuff I could say about alfalfa, I will leave out as this is not the issue here.

So the thing to remember is there is no "RIGHT" way. IF you are feeding a good grain or grain based feed (and you do not have to feed grain at all) and good clean fresh QUALITY hay, minerals.......good clean water and vitimains when necessary nobody is going to suffer. Alot also depends on the part of the country you live in . So to tell somebody what NOT to do to me is wrong as there is way more than one way to skin a cat.

It is up to the indivual to formulate what works best for THEIR animals.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, dont give up on the forum. it is such a wonderufl place to get information and sometimes just chat other mini owners. I did not see your original post, but I'm sure I would have had an input as I have experience with geldings.

I am almost a newbie to the board and found everyone is very willing to help when they can regardless of how new you are. Visit some shows or some farms and ge t to know the folks on here and I am sure you will agree we are all quite freindly. What was your original question about your gelding?
smile.gif

Forgot to mention..............I seldom look at the fact that just because a person has a lot of posts, means that they are superior.
rolleyes.gif
I wish the numbers were done away with as to me they do not mean a thing. Some people just have more time to post......some feel the need to involve themselves in every issue on the Forum and some do not. And posting a hundred times a day is not an indication of knowledge either. So there are many ways of looking at it.

So LILTNT, don't think that you are not just as important as the next because you are a newbie.

I find that I will also go back to a post I am interested in....whether there are new posts or I am looking/thinking about something.

So...some of those views are repeat views...and plus, many times I click on a post, look...and have nothing to add or don't want to get involved(ie: see a potential problem/cat fight brewing...which, actually, isn't that often).

I know that my posts don't often get a lot of responses, but partly the reason for that is that not everyone is interested in/likes driving....so they aren't going to post/look. But I do get some, and I am quite happy with that!!
biggrin.gif

Ditto over here! I did read your post, and I'm sure we all agree that we all feed our horses differently, as each horse does have different needs (based on age, condition, location, preference, etc.) I just did not have anything of value to add to the thread.
yes.gif

I just reread your thread - I also used to feed alfalfa-oat pellets (2 cups for breakfast), soaked in water. I used the Kruse pellets. I have since switched over to Mountain Sunrise timothy pellets.

Lunch I feed a small amount of orchard grass hay.

Dinner I feed orchard grass hay (sorry, I unfortunately do not measure my hay).

Supplements: Moorman's Stablized rice bran, BOSS (black oil sunflower seeds) - yes, shell and all.

Do you have a body picture you can post for us? That may help, too.

Liz R.

Also owns non-show horses.

I'm so sorry you feel that way
no.gif
!

If it helps at all your not alone, I own one horse, he's a gelding and I do not show.

Vertical Limit Minis said:
Forgot to mention..............I seldom look at the fact that just because a person has a lot of posts,  means that they are superior.
rolleyes.gif
   I wish the numbers were done away with as to me they do not mean a thing.  Some people just have more time to post......some feel the need to involve themselves in every issue on the Forum and some do not.  And posting a hundred times a day is not an indication of knowledge either.  So there are many ways of looking at it.
So LILTNT, don't think that you are not just as important as the next because you are a newbie.

466390[/snapback]

aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif

Well said. In the time I have been on here (lurking a long time before ever joining) I have seen a number on newcomers whose agenda is obviously to get as many posts as soon as they can and reply to everything when they obviously have no clue as to what they are talking about. Personally, I had rather have no replies than to have some that I have seen. As many have mentioned, there are many reasons why there may have been no replies that has nothing to do with the fact that you are not a show home.

I second the motion to do away with the numbers!

I know how you feel, but please don't take it personally. I didn't see your original post, but when I looked at just now I realized I had no input!!

I'm sure it didn't have anything to do with being new or less popular or being snubbed at all.

I wanted to add that I asked a question about transport from US to Canada and got only a few responses. The most helpful one told me to just call customs myself!!

Then not 2 days later another poster asked the same thing and about 40 posts were made on that thread. (Okay, don't quote me on numbers and days)

And it answered the questions that I had been asking-- and I had to get my own answers by calling US and Canadian customs.

I was perturbed about that, but I think maybe it was the way I phrased my question.

Knowing it was about feeding now...well if you go see how many members there are on here that is about how many different ways there are to feed
wacko.gif
wacko.gif
and everyone usually believes their way is the right way
biggrin.gif
(most of the time it the right way for their situation)...I can guarantee if I fed my horses the amount and types of grain many on here do they would founder...however mine spend all summer 24/7 on grass which for many would also cause instant founder.........many have horses that will colic if dinner is late mine get fed within a 2-3 hour time frame (so say between 5 and 8 ) I feed whatever type of good clean hay I can get and I almost never worry about switching because I usually have 3 or 4 different types/mixes/cuttings I also use pellets and cubes and beet pulp........my only real constant is strategy for their grain and horse guard for a vitamin.......everything else is fed according to each horses condition and needs. stick around there is plenty of good info to be had here
wink.gif

QUOTE(kaykay @ Sep 13 2005, 11:02 AM)i read your post and didnt respond.  here is why. 

I have responded to tons of posts on how to feed their mini etc.  I have found that rarely is the advice ever taken  Also after seeing what Marty posted i just kinda sighed and gave up.  I LOVE MARTY.  Just ask her LOL.  But I dont agree with her thoughts on alfalfa.  Everytime i post about feeding alfalfa i get flamed.  So now i rarely post on any post asking about feeding.  While im on the subject though i will say this (for what its worth) Keeping your feeding simple is best.  I have seen feed plans on here that i just cant believe!  I really dont think you have to feed a horse tons of supplements, grain etc etc.  Keeping it simple is best for you and your horse. 

Kay, I have to agree that most people just do not want to get into the big ALFALFA DEBATE. So when somebody posts something like that I don't take the time to argue as it usually falls on deaf ears. I too have fed alfalfa to all my horses including minis to no ill effects. Infact I could not imagine not feeding it. You walk thru the major Arabian show barns in the country today and you would not see most of them feeding anything but. I am also not saying that I do not feed other types of hay along with the alfalfa either. And as for the rest of the stuff I could say about alfalfa, I will leave out as this is not the issue here.

So the thing to remember is there is no "RIGHT" way. IF you are feeding a good grain or grain based feed (and you do not have to feed grain at all) and good clean fresh QUALITY hay, minerals.......good clean water and vitimains when necessary nobody is going to suffer. Alot also depends on the part of the country you live in . So to tell somebody what NOT to do to me is wrong as there is way more than one way to skin a cat.

It is up to the indivual to formulate what works best for THEIR animals

Don't feel bad, I am ignored on the forums too but keep coming back and have made a few internet friends, I don't show but love my guys, some registered some not but they are all loved the same. Besides it's not as bad as being ignored at home :D

I am truly sorry this has happened to you. We show once a year only as it takes a lot of work to get prepared and we still have young children at home that don't handle the prep, and crazy schedule of showing.

We started off many years ago with mini for our pets. In my opinion every horse must be a pet first and then everthing else. Pedigree, conformation mean nothing if they are not truly loved first.

This board has been wonderful in many ways. Please give it another chance and thank you for your honesty.

Traci

Sorry you didn't get a response to your post. I haven't seen it yet as I don't get on the forum but a time or two a week. I don't show , we breed only
smile.gif

Tammie

Don't feel too badly,please. There are a lot of topics started that get little or no response so don't tke it personally. Hugs, Mary

Liltnt, I guess if there's enough room for two I'll come have some of that cheese with the Whine too because I feel the same way you do (let me know when meal time is LOL) I can ask a ligitimate question and if I'm lucky I get half a dozen replies. Others can post that they just sneezed and they have a hundred replies saying Bless You. I don't feel like people intend to ignore some of us, but for whatever reason I have noticed that there are definately people who don't get as many answers. Sometimes I think people don't know how to respond to the question, but in a lot of cases they just don't see a need to reply and yes, I do feel a bit rejected when it happens. And sometimes, the few responses I've seen some people get have quite simply been rude and uncalled for. As was the case with the replies to this post, there were a few comments that simply didn't need to be said. You have a right to express how you feel and when others have said they felt mistreated, they were begged to stay -so unless a person has been a total pain- I see no reason for a few of the snide comments made here. Just my opinion for what it's worth. Please pass the cheddar
wink.gif

Oops, sorry had to edit - my son's cb interferes with my wireless mouse and sometimes words end up missing letters
rolleyes.gif

I don't see it as being a show person/non-show person thing at all--there are a number of non-show people that post & get all sorts of replies; sometimes I notice new people don't get too many responses to their posts, other times the regulars can post & not get much for answers either. I've said more than once if I post on a topic, the thread dies immediately, but really, if I did truly believe that I'm afraid I'd be giving myself too much credit. (Though if this thread dies instantly now, I'm really going to wonder....
unsure.gif
)
wink.gif

I'm like kaykay, I read your topic, saw Marty's response. thought no, I'm not getting into that conversation, so didn't go there. I too have fed alfalfa & had excellent results--actually when feeding alfalfa I've never had a health problem, which is more than I can say for times when I've fed straight grass hay, but it just isn't worth arguing about. As others have said, everyone on here likely has a different way of feeding. What works for one doesn't suit another; your favorite feed may not be available to me here...doesn't make any of them wrong, nor is any of them right for every one. To me it's just not worth arguing over. *shrugs* So, on a busy day there are just some threads that some people don't bother posting on--it isn't anything to do with who the original poster was and no offense at all is intended.

Well you certainly have received enough responses to this thread. (Thats just me being cynical). I have posted threads and never got a response and other times jumped in on a hot topic and watched the thread die. I have had to put on my flame retardant suit many times (again probably my cynical nature) and for sure I have caused a few chuckles here and there along the way. I will once again stand up for the rest of the forum members and say they are almost always a great bunch of people with a pool of knowledge that is vast. Earlier in this thread I mentioned using the "search" function. There are a few people who in a thread not very long ago said they found it (their words not mine) a bit "frustrating" answering the same question every week from another newcomer to the forum. That person did catch a few flames for the remark but if you try and see the point behind the comment where with just a click of the mouse you can glean a wealth of knowledge from reading through some of the old threads. I can get off the soapbox now, Hope you will be sticking around since most of us enjoy the forum and the more people the better.

Latest posts

Back