OK color people

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stormy

Reaction score
Doesn't show real well in the picture but this little guys tail is striped very white on each side. I know dark taile sometimes have lighter hair on the side but this is really white! Mom is a smutty buckskin, Dad is a black pinto...could this boy be only showing pinto in his tail???

Born last night

S4300122.jpg

Most foal tails are like this and will turn solid when they get some age on them. Kinda like bays whose lower legs dont darken until they get a few months old

These are my other black babies this year, nothing close to as white...

S4300126.jpg

Angelcolt.jpg

S4300122-1.jpg

I will get clearer pictures in a few days when he is out but is bright white!

I'm not good with colors......but my guess would be possibly a smokey black or a silver/smutty buckskin?

Kay is correct. It is a foal thing and they loose it when the new hair comes in.

Is it possible that the mare is Dun rather than smutty buckskin.. A lot of duns have that light hair around

the tail and also on the sides of the mane.. I have had the light mane hair come in later than the tail hair.

Do you think it means he's going to be a dark (smutty) buckskin or dark dark bay rather than black?

Just a thought. The color calculator says it's more likely he's one of those than a black.

Danielle

Doesn't show real well in the picture but this little guys tail is striped very white on each side. I know dark taile sometimes have lighter hair on the side but this is really white! Mom is a smutty buckskin, Dad is a black pinto...could this boy be only showing pinto in his tail???
Possible that he shows Pinto in only his tail, yes, but I had a filly whose tail looked very similar and it is now black. I expect this one will eventually turn black also.

I would go ahead and register yours as having a mixed tail, unless it gets darker, cause you never know.

We had one born out of 2 black pintos that had a mostly white tail with black down the middle, hasn't got darker since. I am really hoping it will stay white cause I think that would be awsome. The only other pinto she has is white socks go figure lol.

13-218x180.jpg

Most of my bay & black foals have had very light hairs on each side of their tails...just like yours. Some have more than others. You can tell it's "light" hairs, not WHITE hairs....if they were, they would have pink skin at the roots.

The lighter hairs on the sides is just a foal thing...as others have said, and will eventually disappear.

It would be very cool if the white stays. I went bach through my pictures as I have had several born with same tail. But maybe mine actually had a little more white than yours, but hey, it could be some of your foal's pinto shining through!

My Dirty Harry is below as a foal, then weanling(excuse the clip job), then tonight(/yearling (I

just ran down to take a pic!)His sire is a chesnut pinto and dam is seal brown

breedersshow07040.jpg

fishingsept023.jpg

cooltail.jpg

I have a yearling that has a tail like this

a weanling: off to the side tied up,

071007095326.jpg

and as a yearling.

080516050026-1.jpg

the pics dont really show it, but she still ahs the white, acept it is more silver, and thrwe the whole tail now.

Latest posts

Back