Oh No! Creeping Charlie snuck into the horse pen!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparklingjewelacres

Reaction score
We had a fenced off pasture that we planted with a safe horse pasture seed a few months back that we planned on using for our mare and her foal when the time comes. The grass has been choked out by so many weeds- mostly by the Creeping Charlie and a clover type. I know we should have plowed the whole thing, but we were unable to do that and it was bare dirt when we planted seed. So... I am just so bummed. I don't know where I will put this little foal that is due any day now. Weeds are sprouting out of control in all the pastures. We took the goats out of these pens. Evidently they had the weeds under full control. Does any one have trouble with Creeping Charlie and Aslike Clover in their pens. We also just now finished fencing a complete new dry pen area for future use. It is over half acre. A tractor came and scraped it level. A small patch of weeds is starting up in the corner of this field ... growing extremely fast..Yes.. it is all the toxics.. fiddleneck, lupine, creeping charlie and who knows what else. Ahh... so.. kinda late to plant grass without water. We will scrape it to dust I suppose for now.

If the weeds are safe for the goats to eat, let them graze/browse the pens while the horses aren't in them to keep the weeds at bay. If not, you'll have to spray.

The goats are in a 4 acre area and are so fat eating up all the weeds. They have done such a great job for our property but we have downscaled from 15 down to 5 this year so they just can't keep up with the weeds. We will try to mow, tractor it all up and replant. We live in an area of a very high obnoxious weed count. The field below us not far but across our road is becoming over done with poison hemlock and they need to do something about that. Even goats die from ingesting a small amount of that weed.

Latest posts

Back