OH MY, WE GOT POOP

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sandy S.

Reaction score
SORRY BEEN UP ALL NIGHT WITH A YEARLING THAT COLICED. WHEN I GOT HOME FROM WORK LAST NIGHT, I HAD A FILLY DOWN ROLLING, COVERED IN MUD, IN SHOCK, HER MUZZLE WAS COLD, HER EARS WERE COLD, HER LEGS WERE COLD, NO RESPONSE ON GUMS AT ALL AND THEY WERE GETTING BLACK. I THOUGHT WE HAD ALREADY LOST HER. RACED IN THE HOUSE FOR BANIMINE AND THE TELEPHONE, BECAUSE I COULDN'T KEEP HER UP ON HER FEET AT ALL.

GAVE BANAMINE FIRST, THEN CALLED VET. SHE SAID TO GIVE HER A LITTLE WHILE UNTIL BANAMINE TOOK EFFECT, AND KEEP WALKING HER. SHE TOLD ME IT WOULD TAKE AWHILE AFTER THE BANAMINE TOOK AFFECT FOR HER TO COME OUT OF SHOCK AND AFTER IT TOOK AFFECT TO GIVE HER SOME OIL. IF STILL HAVING PROBLEMS TO CALL HER BACK. I WAS IN A PANICK OF COURSE. FINALLY BANAMINE TOOK EFFECT. GAVE HER SOME OIL, ALSO GAVE HER SOME KARO AND PURE MAPLE SYRUP. ( I HAVE ALWAYS HEARD THIS HELPS SOFTEN STOOLS). SHE STARTED EATING AND SHE DRANK SOME, BRUSHED ALL THE MUD OFF HER, AND JUST WALKED AND WALKED HER OUT ON THE GRASS FOR A COUPLE OF HOURS AFTER DARK. SAT WITH HER IN THE STALL AND KEPT HAY DOWN FOR HER AND PLENTY OF FRESH COOL WATER. AT ABOUT 2 AM SHE STILL HADN'T POOPED OR PEE'D. NO MORE ROLLING, BUT I DID KEEP HER ON BANAMINE. BUT SHE HAD KEPT EATING AND DRINKING AND WAS GETTING SOME COLOR BACK IN GUMS. MUZZLE FINALLY STARTED GETTING WARM AGAIN. WENT IN AND WENT TO BED BUT HAD HER ON THE MONITOR IN THE BEDROOM, AT ABOUT 3 SHE FINALLY POOPED AND FOR THIS LITTLE GIRL SHE POOPED BIG TIME. THANK GOD. I KNOW SHE IS NOT OUT OF THE WOODS YET, BUT SHE SURE LOOKS BETTER OUT OF HER EYES THIS MORNING.

Well, it sounds like progress, just continue to keep an eye on her as I am sure you will! We must be the only humans in the world that gets over joyed with POO!

Let me know if you need anything.

WHOA!
new_shocked.gif
That sounds really scary Sandy! Poor little thing....looks like you may have caught it in time tho. Will be sending good thoughts & prayers for your little girl.
wub.gif

I can imagine how you feel. If you've ever had a colic horse, you know what a miracle POOP can be.

Boy that is the most frightening feeling EVER!!

I think you may be OK now, but keep an eye on her..I will keep you both in my thoughts!!

Holy cow Sandy, got any clues of why the colic? What a horrible night.

I swear, it can be the weather.......

So glad you caught it when you did. Sounds like you saved her too and hope she keeps on the mend for you. Give an update soon as you can catch your breath.

I AM AT WORK, HUBBY IS HOME WITH HER SINCE HE DOESN'T LEAVE UNTIL 2PM FOR WORK. HE IS CALLING ME AND UPDATING ME ON HER. SHE IS BEING A BUTT TODAY, SO SHE HAS TO BE FEELING BETTER, SHE POOPED ONE MORE TIME. SHE IS TURNED OUT IN A SEPARATE PADDOCK RIGHT BEHIND OUR HOUSE WITH AN OLDER MARE AND ZOEY AND HER MAMMA AND HAS A LITTLE MORE GRASS TO KEEP THOSE BOWELS A MOVIN. SHE IS CHASING AND KICKING AT OUR DOG. THAT IS A GOOD SIGN, ESPECIALLY SINCE THIS IS A PUPPY THAT IS 8 MONTHS AND BIGGER THAN SHE IS. HE IS ABOUT 27" (HALF GR. PYRNEES & HALF BLACK LAB), AND CINAMMON IS A YEARLING AND ABOUT 26" AND TINY & REFINED. SOMETIMES I THINK HER LEGS ARE NO BIGGER AROUND THAN A QUARTER, JUST NOT A WHOLE LOT TO HER AND THEN TO COLIC. HUBBY HAS CALLED TWICE, AND THEN WILL CALL AT NOON AND RIGHT BEFORE HE LEAVES AT 2 FOR UPDATES, UNLESS SOMETHING CHANGES OF COURSE THEN HE WILL CALL ME. SHE HAS BANAMINE DRAWN ALREADY FOR HIM TO GIVE, JUST IN CASE, AND THE VETS PHONE #. HE LOVES THE MINIS AS MUCH AS I DO AND SAT WITH HER AWHILE THIS MORNING AFTER HE GOT HOME FROM WORK AT 12:30 AM. OH AND TALK ABOUT WHAT A GOOD HUBBY, HE JUST CALLED AGAIN TO LET ME KNOW SHE POOPED A LITTLE MORE AND PEED, I ASK HIM IF THE SMELL WAS STRONG, AND HE SAID NOPE, JUST GOT DONE SMELLING HER BUTT. NOW THAT IS A HUBBY FOR YOU. ALSO SAID HER EARS AND MUZZLE ARE WARM, LAST NIGHT THEY WERE FREEZING WHEN SHE WAS IN SHOCK. HOPEFULLY NO ONE WAS DRIVING BY AT THE TIME. ALL THE NEIGHBORS THINK WE ARE PERVERTS OR SOMETHING, SMELLING AROUND THE HINEYS, FEELING UDDERS, CHECKING UNDER TAILS, GIVING KISSES ALL THE TIME AND BUTT SCRATCHING. OH WELL, I DON'T REALLY CARE, I AM TIRED FROM BEING UP ALL NIGHT, BUT IN A GREAT MOOD THAT CINNY MINNY (CINNAMON) IS DOING SO WELL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just hate colic...
no.gif
I am soooo glad that your little Cinny Minny is doing better - I'm sure you're beyond exhausted but I commend you for your quick action and diligence in taking care of her!!!
aktion033.gif

Hope you get some rest this weekend!!!
yes.gif

I am glad that she is better and everything is going well. I just want to know why you had to smell her butt, but I was not going to ask for it should be something I know. Oh well please let me know
wacko.gif

Real strong odor to urine of course means not drinking enough water, and heck I don't really know, my vet has asked me if manure has a really foul smell, or sour smell, I guess that tells them maybe there was fermentation going on in the gut or something, they always ask the consistiancy, diarrhea, formed, dry formed and sticking together, little balls. This is one of my vets pet peeves he complains about, when he asks most people just say normal horse poop, but when he persists, he then finds out it is not normal.

I asked my hubby on the phone what each smelled like and he said don't know but I just smelled her butt, so I figured he must have been down on her knees giving scratches.

She is still raising tail some and letting go of some gas. But her tummy is not as bloated.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]Isnt it funny how a horse person can get so excited about the presents of poo! Glad to hear she is doing better[/SIZE]

April

One thing that concerned me is that she was eating while on the Banamine. From my personal experience, mini's will eat on Banamine because the pain is gone, not because the problem is cured. This lesson cost me $1,000 at Michigan State. A simple colic turned into an impaction because our local vet came out, gave a shot of Banamine, and as soon as the horse started eating told me that was good sign. However, it started again the next night. Same routine - banamine, then eating. Third night I loaded him up and took him to MSU. The small blockage that started the first night was compounded by the next two days of eating.

I never EVER let a colicking horse eat for 24 hours, but allow all the fresh water and even introduce some front and back. If necessary, I will muzzle them or put them in a paddock with no grass or hay until I KNOW everything is passing well. Then start them on oats or a grass hay, or limited time on grass.

I also don't use oil, but it's a tradition that the vet's just can't seem to get away from.

Latest posts

Back