OH MY GOSH HOLLY'S DOWN!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
She NEVER lays down and she's laying down.!!! I'm dying. I am dying. I just looked up at the camera and she's laying down, not flatted out but just down like a cow.

She has no milk bag, she is not due, her tail is not wrapped or conditioned and I am completey freaking out!

Please shoot me.

OH PLEASE NOT NOW I'M ALL ALONE HERE TONITE!!!

Everyone is at the races!

CHILL OUT MARTY! You have to keep your wits about you, just in case Holly needs you! Take a few deep breaths & relax. Holly is probably just resting. Its very common for mares in late gestation to lay down (even if they don't usually). They are carrying a lot of weight & they do get tired. Gosh, mine will even lay flat out & sleep like that for weeks before foaling. (and this is something they never do any other time).

Just keep an eye on her....I'll bet she'll just rest a bit & then get back up & return to her "normal" routine. Keep us posted!
yes.gif

Yep seems pretty much all my very pregnant mares lay down a LOT and often flat out for a long time so the equipage will keep going off to keep me awake. They can keep that up for 6 weeks or more before foaling. See dont u feel better now,lol.

Yep, don't panic Marty or you could be panicking for the next 3 or 4 weeks!!
new_shocked.gif

Holly has just given birth to a ............pile of poop???????

xkngt.gif
xkngt.gif
xkngt.gif

Yup, false alarm.

Freak out over. Whew!

I never knew I could actually run that fast. Total adreneline rush. YIKES!

She got up, took a dump, proceeded to eat her brand new shavings, so I went in the tack room and got her more hay.

I should have known she was messin with me. Dang you Holly.
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif
frusty.gif

Welcome Marty, to the wonderful world of "Look Mom, I'm going to have a .....pile of poop, cat, shadow, hay pile..........Ooops you turned your back, here's the FOAL"
biggrin.gif
laugh.gif

LOL! Oh Marty,, it is just beginning,, like the others say,, wait until you wake up from a dead sleep see "a foal" in the stall and run out in your nighty and its just a shadow or a poo pile and your mare is looking at you like "what the,,,,"

I would however get them used to seeing me every night late so if their were and impending labor,, they would not FREAK when I suddenly appeared way out of schedule. So around 11 I would go out, check butts and bags and go back in.

Just watch her bag, but dont be fooled by no milk! If the bag is full watch her like a hawk. And I believe she is a maiden right? So everything is out the window,, you have your camera and does she have a halter monitor?? You will be fine.

Get some of the milk test strips too if you do not already have them. I rely on them a lot.

When is Holly due? Sorry I havent been on the forum much lately.

Sorry Marty, I just had to laugh! This will happen a LOT before she actually has that foal (her keeping you in suspense and on your toes) so get used to it.
smile.gif

and I know you will be just fine, even if you do end up all alone (which I doubt will happen--- the whole family will be there to witness the blessed event I'm sure!)

Good luck!

and our new announcement.....a new pile of poop!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
Oh Holly, you sure have your poor Mom upset over your pile of poop!
yes.gif
WELCOME to mare stare,
wink.gif
and I am sure Holly will keep you in suspense until you turn your back.
wink.gif
yes.gif
wink.gif
Corinne

Well atleast I didn't attempt to dry off the pile of poop, name it and coat it's navel
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif
new_shocked.gif

OK OK everyone had their laughs but I am here to testify that I will not be falling for that one again!

On the bright side you are keeping Holly well entertained.
smile.gif
She loves all the attention and probably brags to the others "Want to see how fast Mom can run - watch this."

I would be just the same. I'm the chronic worry wort. Took it after my Mom. Ha.

You will be wonderful. Just hang in there a little longer.

Cheryl

Last edited by a moderator:
Remember to take notes on her unusual things so the next time she has a baby you will know. Mine started taking hour long naps about 3 times a night a month before the babies came. Only one took about 1/2 hour naps. I have kept files on all of my mares.
biggrin.gif

They even have wild dreams and start making noises, which can really shock you if you are dosing off while watch the web cam.

Take it easy.
wub.gif
but keep an eye out.

yes.gif

Deb

Marty said:
Well atleast I didn't attempt to dry off the pile of poop, name it and coat it's navel
new_shocked.gif

new_shocked.gif

new_shocked.gif

OK OK everyone had their laughs but I am here to testify that I will not be falling for that one again!

421002[/snapback]

OH YES YOU WILL!!!!! We all do!!!!!!!!!!

Hang in there Marty!!!!!!

Marty, you honestly missed your calling. You should have been a comedian. You never cease to make me laugh and lighten up this forum. TOOOOOO FUNNY. That poor foal just doesn't know what it's in for.
laugh.gif

Please continue to keep us posted on your mare staring!

biggrin.gif
NO one can describe things likr you can Marty! I'm lovein' it....you just HAve to write a book about all this sometime along the way. I've said it before but can't help but say it again..book,book,book
yes.gif

Maxine

Oh Marty! You had me all excited LOL....when is Holly due? Good Luck with the rest of mare stare!

Jessica

Having a black/white barn cam, I have embarassed myself fpr screaming and running out to the barn after I woke up and "Saw" a foal" lying in the corner( I use breeder alert also) Thought she foaled and I missed it! It was a big pile of manure!

Latest posts

Back