Oh man!!!!! What to do with this name

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
This is our colt born on Sunday.

jewelcolt4.jpg

My hubby is very non horsey. He never gets involved with the horses. Only feeds when he absolutely has to or there is a big, BIG emergency.

Anyway, he thought of a name for 2 days for this colt, I have no idea why this one. Any other time, it is a, don't care, or whatever you want to call it is fine with me. I try to get him involved, but hasn't worked in over 4 years.

He wants to call this colt, Opie. If you have a horse with this name, sorry, but I am just not over fond of the name.

I guess for a barn name it will do, and has hubby involved even if that is not his plan.

So what do you think I should do?
wacko.gif

I still do not have a registered name or a barn name.

How about.... Golden Opportunity! (Opie for short)

Frankie said:
This is our colt born on Sunday.
jewelcolt4.jpg

My hubby is very non horsey. He never gets involved with the horses. Only feeds when he absolutely has to or there is a big, BIG emergency.

Anyway, he thought of a name for 2 days for this colt, I have no idea why this one. Any other time, it is a, don't care, or whatever you want to call it is fine with me. I try to get him involved, but hasn't worked in over 4 years.

He wants to call this colt, Opie. If you have a horse with this name, sorry, but I am just not over fond of the name.

I guess for a barn name it will do, and has hubby involved even if that is not his plan.

So what do you think I should do? 
wacko.gif

I still do not have a registered name or a barn name.

417536[/snapback]

I think it would be a cute barn name. I don't know what the foals parent's names are or your usual method of naming, but when I saw Opie, I thought of a movie...

"Mr Holland's Opus", I believe Richard Dryfus was in it. That might work for a name.

I like to name after dam's, in a way.

His dam is Jewel.

Thought of Opal to fit the Opie in, but haven't quite got the right name.

Or, registered name will have nothing to do with Opie.

I think Opie is a cute barn name for him. I don't think I would incorporate it into his registered name but you never know, you could think of something nice that it could fit into. I would think on it for a while. You'll figure out something you like
yes.gif

I think Opie is a cute name as well. But then again I once had a horse named Gus.........it fit him to a T thou.

HE looks silver dapple to me so I dont think the "golden" part really fits. I to thought of Mr. Hollands Opus as well.

Hi, for my opinion.....I would incorporate the name in if your husband is gun hoe about this colt. If he takes a shine to this colt, what better way for him to become more involved.
smile.gif
Here's a few attempts at names
wink.gif

V V Happy Day's Opie (was sitting here humming Happy Day's tune and relized your colt was born Sunday
laugh.gif
)

V V Opa to Opie (Opa is greek word meaning happy dance or celebrate I think)

V V Aunt B's Little Opie

V V Uncle Bob's Little Opie (I peeked at your website and saw your hubby name is Bob)

V V Sparkling Gem Opie

Not sure if you saw the other names on the old thread of names on Sunday.

When I heard the name Opie I thought of the Andy Griffith show. No one else mentioned it was the first thing that came to mind. I think Opie is a cute barn name you can register it whatever you want
yes.gif

[SIZE=21pt]I think you should get two more and name them Andy and Aunt Bea[/SIZE]

I too think Opie is a cute barn name...get this....you think Opie is bad, when I got my minis, my hubby wanted to call them Willie and Waylon or Bocephus and Hank...I am a big fan of all three artists, but didn't want to call the minis that.
wacko.gif

I'm terrible at names, but I think everyone already gave you some good choices.

LOL! We had an "Opie" too. I thought I was so original, registered a colt, "Long Shots Magnum Opus", and then found out there is another Magnus Opus as well, with a different prefex...go figure.
rolleyes.gif

I think Opie is a cute name, but then...I'm used to it. The one my husband named, "Shooter", is the one name I dislike, so I can sympathize, actually.
biggrin.gif

Very cute, congratulations!

My friend has an Appaloosa (big horse) that I think is a little dorky and funny looking named Poco and I dubbed him with Opie the first time I saw him. I could just picture him as a person with red hair, freckles and glasses. She thought the name was so cute and thought it fit him to the T that she calls him Opie more so them Poco, or it's Opie Pokey.
rolleyes.gif

Now, I personally wouldn't own an Opie since it doesn't fit my taste in names, but it IS cute.
yes.gif

I like Bluerocket's suggestion, golden opportunity.

Opie is a great barn name.

Some other possible registered names with Opie as a "nick":

Jewels Opinion

Jewels A Little Opine

Luego

saludando.gif

Tommy

We had a gelding with Opie as his barn name. He was a clown and a really sweet boy. His registered name was Opening Act.

I let my non-horsey hubby name a foal last year (at least he suggested what it should be) and since then, he has been more involved with the horses......go figure!
rolleyes.gif

If hubby picked out "Opie" I would definitely stick with it. No point in discouraging his involvement (sounds like you've been after it for a while) by shooting down his first suggestion for a name. Actually, I think it's kinda cute too.

Latest posts

Back