Oh Holly.........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
I haven't said much about Holly because there isn't much to report on her condition. She's been very good and pregnancy seems to agree with her. I know she will be such a good mommy.

She follows me everywhere. She didn't do that before. She was always very independent but she wants to be with me all the time now. She calls for me a lot lately and does not want me out of her sight. I feel she is scared and doesn't understand what is happening to her. She must be confused.

Tonite she is swishing her tail a bit and biting her sides here and there a little. She pushed her butt into the wall and is scraching it. Clearly she is uncommfortable tonite. She's not ready to foal yet, but I'm watching anyhow.

Makes me feel guily and sad.

I'm not sure I am cut out for this.

Oh Marty

I always feel a bit guilty as well. I have the banamine drawn and ready to give it to them as soon as they foal. Plus they always get a hot bran mash and a nice big helping of hay as well.

Holly will be fine, you are a good Mom, it sounds as if she may be getting close. Keep us posted!

I know exactly what you mean Marty. I just came in from checking on Abby again and I gave her the usual pep-talk. I did give her a nice bath tonight and rinse her off then used the absorbine spearmint rub (diluted). She seemed to really appreciate it. My mare has been showing positive signs now for the last 3 1/2 weeks!!!! and it's driving me crazy, let alone I am not getting toooo much sleep. I am running on about 3 or 4 hours a night maximum. I swear once this foal is born I am going to sleep for 24 hours straight!!! The family can cover for me for those 24 hours once this foal is BORN! It's funny but when ever I talk about this foal I always refer to it as "he", mmmmm wonder if my instinct are correct. I am starting to gravitate to a name like "It's About Tyme" but in a way I am hoping for a colt because I have a name that is a play on words that would be cute. Well as long as it's healthy and Abby comes through this with flying colors, that is all I ask the good Lord.

Last edited by a moderator:
Makes me feel guily and sad.
I'm not sure I am cut out for this.
Wait til she turns around and nickers at that baby for the first time.......you'll be a goner.
yes.gif

Jan

I understand, Marty. I go through the same thoughts with EVERY mare...... and like Wildoak posted, when they swing around and nicker and lick their little newborn, you and she know it was all worth it.

And Marty, it's also a good idea to do as Annette mentioned. Keep a dose of banamine ready in your foaling kit. I don't care what anyone says.....9 times out of 10, your mare is going to need it. And it does NOT affect how fast they push out the placenta. Our's drop it within a half hour of birth or sooner.

Ever hear the Bill Cosby "Natural Child-Birth" comedy tape???? When I first heard how his wife totally changed her mind and said, "FORGET IT! GIVE ME THE DRUGS!" I immediately thought about all of our girls.

MA

Oh Marty, if anyone is cut out to be a mini Gramma it's you. My Thera became very lovey and wanted me all the time too and I did indulge her. I remember how I felt as I neared my due date....nervous unsure excited. You're doing a super job. Have your kit ready, the banamine drawn up and ready in the fridge (butter comp). She could go anytime you know, she sounds like she's feeling it more with the side biting and butt rubbing. Give her a lovely tummy massage, all that tight skin is uncomfortable and you'll both feel better.

Oh Marty, Holly must really love you right now...but just wait she will turn to a witch shortly......or mine always do...The ones that are always really sweet and loving turn witchy when they get close and then turn back sweet and clingy right before foaling and the ones that are more stand offish get real sweet when they get closer and then turn into witches before foaling...
rolleyes.gif
wacko.gif
wink.gif
yes.gif

You'll be a wonderfull mini - nana
wink.gif
I look forward to your special gift you'll have an awesome "Christmas in July" (sounds like a cute name to me
biggrin.gif
)

Marty,

I think there are a lot of us who very much understand how you feel. I wish I could say it gets better, but for me it didn't. I did post some on Frankie but didn't post a lot on all the guilt I felt. I am sure there are some who read that think we are absolutely nutso when we talk about how bad we feel for them.

To be honest, I still feel a lot of guilt when it comes to Frankie. I knew she was too young to have a baby, but, an accident happened. I made over her a lot because the accident should not have happened, then, she starting feeling different physically at about 8 months and she HATED me. Boy was that hard to take. THEN she had Prints without me, I could not believe after all she had been through I was not there for her. That one still eats at me. Then we put her through he77 trying to get that baby to eat.

BUT, when it is all said and done, and all the time and money spent on this little baby, today Frankie is my best bud again and she lets me know each and every time I am out with her. And the icing on the cake is Little Prints.
wub.gif
Sure does make the months of guilt and worry well worth it. Also, it has all taught me a great deal, including dealing with my own feelings on what I have chose to put them through. It's amazing how working with these little guys can also teach us a great deal about who we are and ways to improve and learn on that.

If you need to talk, please PM me. I relate!

I see a new book being written... Nana Marty & Holly.
aktion033.gif
wub.gif
yes.gif
biggrin.gif
wink.gif
MArty YOU will be just fine, I know its rough the first time you become a gr-mother, but just remember to have all the baby gifts on hand, (carrots, treats, new scrunchies, tail bow, etc) and Holly will be so appreciative. Once they turn to there baby and nicker..it will be a moment you will treasure! Keep the banamine handy, and I am sure you have your foaling kit and vets emergency number nearby already, heck..its probably glued to your arm!
yes.gif
wink.gif
Corinne

Thanks for the pep talk. I needed it.

I forgot all about giving banamine.

I have a 10 cc syringe in the fridge I keep on hand, how much would I give her...and where?

I also think I would like to pick up some paste though, so if I do, how much of that would I give her?

How long after foaling do you think she should get this please?

I have a bunch of stuff filled in a Rubbermaid, our foaling kit and I have a tiny halter and blanket ready too! I hope I have everything I need.

I have:

sissors

knife

enemas

foal-lac

baby bottles with nipples

towels

trash bag for placenta removal

there's other stuff but I can't remember.

any suggestions?

I always feel guilty when an animal is feeling the pains of pregnancy!

But I know all the pains I had during pregnancy melted away the SECOND my babies arrived, even through natural childbirth!!
laugh.gif

Just pray all goes well and then it is a wonderful experience for all!!

It is very sweet that you have such empathy for your horses, they are lucky to have you!!

I remember when my human daughter had her first child..I was in the delivery room at her request along with her husband.

I couldn't stand it as it was awful to watch your own child in pain. My baby was having a baby, but all went well and it was a girl.

I cried as I was first she opened an eye to.

Now that baby girl is in her third pre-med in college. So beware Marty they grow up fast
biggrin.gif

Enjoy the experience and file it in your "making memories mental album"

Maxine

You g moms make me laugh. And I dont know how you do it. But I have to commend you.

I will never have any babies as I only have the one gelding. And that is ok but I read about all of your babies, I look at all your web sites, and I smile everytime one of you has a new little one. I also cry everytime one of the babies or their mom has a problem. So for me It is probably better that you have them and not me.
ohmy.gif

I have a little pug that I had fixed before she ever came into her first heat cause I couldnt bear to have her go thru being pregnant and labor. God bless all of you. Cause without you minis would disappear.
wub.gif

Oh and if you have a web cam I watch .

I have the baby wipes in mine, a large sheet, chocolate, a head lamp which I did use for the redbag, dental floss is great if you have to tie off and cut the umbilical, I also have tons of towels.

Holly will need probably 3 ccs of Banamine and I give it in the neck but you can do the butt if she's down. You know where? I give it immediately. I also applied nice hot packs to her vulva as she swelled so much, course I was in there too looking for a nose and a foot, poor sweetie.

You will be great! When she goes down take a xanac and enjoy the whole wonderful experience. It took Thera, also a maiden, a while to get up, she sure was pooped. I rubbed her down as she was awful sweaty. Get the bag off and bring the baby forward between her rear legs if she stays down. Thera did and she laid flat out until I brought Missy forward, then the magical nickers happened I cried and mother and daughter bonded and finished up with drying off and suckling and wonderful pooping and peeing. You'll be super.

I understand what your going thru. My maiden you can tell she isn't comfortable at all. She knows whats to be expected. She always watches my other broodmare's foal I think she wants to have a baby so badly.

Just yesterday I noticed her udder is finially starting to get bigger and I am able to express liquid. This is the mare that late in March started to get the big bag and I'm thinking she might foal alot sooner
rolleyes.gif

Marty,

You didn't have the gentle iodine (or Nolvasan) on your list for dipping the navel.

And some Ivermectin for Holly after she foals.

Our procedure is to give the banamine, followed by the wormer IMMEDIATELY after the foal is out and the cord has broken.

We give the liquid banamine orally. The dose is 1cc per 100lbs of horse. The liquid given orally is almost as fast acting as doing the shot. The paste takes at least 20 minutes to kick in.

I agree to giving Holly some nice belly rubs and udder washes. Our girls like them.

MA

I always use liquid banamine...orally. Much easier and as fast. Holly will be fine and so will you -- but, it will take YOU longer than her to be fine
laugh.gif

OH, the chocolate in the JMS kit is for her, not the horse!
smile.gif

The headlamps are the most wonderful for foaling and any night time adventures into the patures, etc. BOTH hands free and easy to direct light
aktion033.gif

Hang in there Marty, the wait sounds like it's near the end.......
wub.gif

Marty, I think you need to do a few more things before foaling happens......

Make several casserole meals and freeze them for the men to heat up...

Do extra shopping and stock upon on necessities....soaps, toothpaste, TP, etc.... so they don't run out while you "move to the barn".

Every day, repeat to yourself, "I will need to put the foal down to nurse, I will need to put the foal down to nurse..."

Yeah, I can see that you will be virtually living in that stall, holding the foal!!
biggrin.gif
To heck with your family, they aren't "NEW" anymore.
risa_suelos.gif
risa_suelos.gif

Oh, Marty......enjoy this time with Holly. Be with her every step of the way, as you would wish it to be for the first time you had your children. That's the most wonderful part about some bred mares, they get very affectionate. I like to give the gals a nice body massage at the end of the day....especially focusing on their hips and back legs. Remember the last couple months of pregnancy and you would've killed for a nightly masseuse for your tired legs? This is a great time to bond with her, because when her foal arrives, she'll be so glad to share her baby with you.

Our son was born in Switzerland....in a language I did not speak. No family or "American" friends were around.....trust me, I really could've used someone to "talk" to at that time. When David was three months, I HAD TO COME HOME TO SHOW MY BABY TO MY FAMILY/FRIENDS. I've talks with lots of women who had babies away from their "home" and had an instinctual urge to show their baby to family.

Now, you be the rock for precious Holly to lean on during this vulnerable time. Think of it as part of the "imprinting" process starting early......

Take care, Marty!

Cindy

saludando.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back