Oh Color Confusion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissColonel

Reaction score
Hello, so we are having difficulty trying to figure what color our 2 colts colors are. We are kinda thinking Pip is a Red roan varnish appy or a sorrel varnish appy. Mr.Zeus on the other hand looks black but we know something is going on with his colors.

First is Pip he does have some sorrel triangles by his hoofs and a appy butt lol :3 but really the only color he has is on his face both parents are appys

Sire: Sorrel Leopard appy

Dam: Varnished blue roan blanket appy

6619_464107376987573_442963759_n_zpsfd5a9120.jpg

myboy_zpsd0409fa3.jpg

I only have 1 good one of Mr.Zeus as a baby and no good current ones but he pretty much looks the same just long fuzzy black fur with his grey mark and looks like a kinda silver tail.

Sire: SIlver Chocolate

Dam:Black and white Pinto

378273_223090621147015_2115387902_n_zps0c2b4455.jpg

His spot is still grey even with winter coat currently I will try to get a good shot of him tomorrow when I go to the barn just currently this blizzard is keeping me put T_T

Thank You and I will try to get better ones tomorrow with better lighting
default_smile.png

Best I can tell from the pics provided, Pip does look sorrel varnish appy; and Mr Zeus looks black to me (mane and tail look too dark to have silver in the mix). I'm guessing it might take summer shed off pics to really know their colors (or looking after their clipped coat has time to grow back in).

Pip looks like he is either a chestnut varnish or silver bay varnish-maybe a snowcap? He is definitely at least sabino as well, which is what gives him the blaze and possibly other markings. He seems to have much more white than a typical varnish at his age would have. That could be due to pinto genes or something else, like being a possible snowcap. Hard to tell without seeing more pictures as a foal to now.

The other looks like he is a black pinto and that is either sabino roaning on his rump or a tobiano spot that just isn't fully expressed. The tail is just a typical foal tail-they often have the lighter hairs mixed in. Sabino can also cause white in the tail on an otherwise solid horse.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow thank you guys
default_smile.png
yeah my avatar is Pip as a baby if that helps any. Also if you don't mind me asking what is a snow cap? Thank you!

Snow cap is a blanket with no spots! It is 99% homozygous...

Pretty sure Zeus is Tobiano, that would account for the socks and the roany patch.

Pretty sure Pip is Sorrel base Sabino + Varnish- the Sabino will give you as light a colour as that even without the Varnish.

default_frusty.gif
....PLUS Snowcap....duh!!

Wow appys are crazy when it comes to color lol! That is pretty interesting with Zeus too! I never saw markings like his before but I herd minis are full of crazy new colors!

it isn't that minis are full of crazy new colors - they just come in many more color combinations than most breeds and tend to take expression of pinto patterns to the extremes. Ghosted tobiano markings like Zeus has aren't super common in any breed but they do happen in all breeds that have tobiano.

There was a Shetland mare shown at Congress last year that has the "ghost" Tobiano markings... She was bred by Buckeye WCF and shown by their granddaughter. The mare is a 1/2 sister to three of our ponies... and a whole lot of others.

Oh my goodness what a doll and I really do want to shave him once weather allows it. I wouldnt mind to find spots like that too! Where can I get I get them tested? I would love to know more as well!

Fewspots do not, typically, have spots on the skin. I have had fewspots born solid, it is true, but his being male and red based would mean, as far as I am concerned, that he would express more obviously, and my red based solid was faded to white by three days, no spots anywhere!!

I think you have something else going on on your colt!

Well, question-

What did you mean by "appy butt"?

I can not see the picture in the avatar as I have to use my phone. Based on the pictures given I would still lean more towards snowcap than few spot based on the amount of color I do see and the fact that he is a (well, most likely) red based male with sabino. All 3 give more white on a homozygous appy. But, really hard to tell by winter fuzzy pics.

Oh wow gorgeous! When I mean appy but I mean his anus (sorry to be gross) it is very dark spotted.

Hmm- well CR I can see a lot of mottling, which is very typical of Fewspots- well H/Z Appy anyway, but no spots....

The mottling on the skin I have also had on loud Leopards, and the Fewspot stallion I use has the mottling all over when he is wet, but no spots.

Latest posts

Back