"Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree"

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty

Reaction score
Jerry took Dan and I for our "Oh Christmas Tree" on Saturday morning. This is the first time Jerry has gone with us in years and there's a reason for that.

Jerry has terrible taste in Christmas trees so in the past, the boys and I were always happy to go on our annual tree jaunt without daddy. This year, he says he is coming. Joy. Dan and I got worried.......

There was cause for concern.

True to form, Jerry made his first mistake within 30 seconds of being on the tree lot. He heads right to the 5 foot tree area. Wrong, wrong, wrong. We don't want a little tree. We want a big tree. Bigger is better. Bigger gets more lights and more ornaments.

So Jerry zeros in on a little short fat scrubby tree. It was extra sappy (yuk)

and had long needles that pricked (double yuk) and he insisted it was the best tree

in the place. Looked like some kind of a bush to me that needed bug spray and could make good stall bedding when shredded. So I said "We never get that kind of tree" "We don't like that kind of tree."

So Dan and I went on to locate a real "Oh Christmas Tree" specimin. We looked and looked and looked through every large tree that had and then suddenly, there it was. We picked out the biggest tree we

could find. A Frasier Fir. Oh boy. Oh joy. Our favorite. It was in the 9 to 11 foot bin. A big tree! Tall and majestic. Now this was a grand Christmas tree. This was this years official "Oh Christmas Tree." We chose that tree.

Jerry is dumbfounded.

He begins to present his case;

His tree makes sense. It is nice and full is going to fit great especially since we have low 7' high

ceilings. "And why am I going to pay for all this extra height that we are only going to trim off." Then we present our case: by the time that little pitiful sappy bush that he is

holding gets trimmed up off the bottom to fit in the tree stand, it's going to

be lucky to hit 4 1/2 feet and look stupid and way too squatty.

Off we go with the biggest tree.

We did it. Our official "Oh Christmas Tree" is in the back of the truck. YIPPEE!

We arrive home and Jerry leaves for a Church meeting and leaves Dan and I to take care of "Oh Christmas Tree". Dan begins to chop away at it with the chain

saw. Kid just loves his power tools. Hack, hack, hack. Branches dropping off. I

begin to get worried, ummmmmm "Hey Dan?" but Dan says he has it under control. Ok.

So he puts it in the stand in the living room and it's still way too tall.

Out it goes.

Hack, hack, hack.

Back in it comes.

Still too tall.

Back out.

Hack.

Back in.

Ok good, just leave it.

Except not so good.

The top is still scraping the ceiling. Dan

says, "just by a little bit".......so in it stays.

Now Dan and I are looking for the bad side to place in the back

where it won't show. Hmmmm.......seems we have two bad sides. We

have to pick one. Ok. We twirl it around a few hundred times and the

only good side has a huge gaping hole in it.

Oh Oh.

I thought we

checked all this out at the tree lot.

Guess not.

We were too busy arguing for the biggest tree.

Oops.

So I tell Dan not to worry that

we can be very crafty in our decorations and cover up a multitude of

sins by applying the garland and large ornaments to fill up the gaping

hole. Now we get the lights on. The ornaments, garland, and tinsel follow. We

manged to fill up the gaping hole. Great. Just one problem. The star

won't fit on the top because it's scrapping the ceiling and making the star lay over sideways.

Oh brother. So instead of Dan

cutting the top branch in the middle, he wires the star to the side

of it. Oh good heavens. "Dan! What are you doing?"

But we're tired and we say oh who cares and

leave it. We apply the tree skirt and we're good to go. "Oh Christmas Tree" is fully decorated. YAY!

I water the tree and go wash dishes. Finish the dishes and go in the living

room to discover a flood gushing from the tree stand and flowing under my

piano. Guess I over did the watering. Had to move the piano. Took three large bath towels to sop up the mess. Crap. I need to fix this before Jerry gets home.

Oh drat, here he comes.

I need this! ugh!

So here comes Jerry home from Church, takes

one look and announces the tree is scraping the ceiling, it's crooked and leaning to one

side and he can see a very large gaping hole in the middle of it and wants to know what is going on with the star. Geesh! Can he find anything right with "Oh Christmas Tree?" Apparently not. I tell him he's being very critical. I tell him we like it like that. Where's Dan? Dan, back me up here! WE like it a lot, right?

We are all very tired. We go to bed.

THREE THRITY in the morning I hear a big noise. I just know that something is wrong with Tracey but as I get up, I see she is laying by my bed on the floor in her bed so then it must be something wrong with Devin our bad doggy. I figured he has been dreaming of dog treats from Santa and has fallen out of dad's recliner again. (He does that a lot). Such a dopey dog. He has these dreams and just flops out of the chair. Anyhow, I go out in the living room and there he is in the chair looking at me like "what?" OK. He’s fine. I pet him nighty night and proceed through the living room to the kitchen for a drink of water, and go back to bed. Forget about the big noise. Must have dreamt it.

The next morning we awake to find that the tree fell over. "Oh Christmas Tree" is laying all over the living room. What a mess! Ornaments broken all over the floor. Garland, lights, tinsel, water, everywhere. OH HUMBUG! Jerry says the screws were not screwed into the trunk tight enough. Dan says he didn't want to hurt the tree too much by screwing them in tighter? Yup. That's what he said. Sigh. Daniel! What were you thinking? Yup, that's what the noise was I heard. "Oh Christmas Tree" had hit the floor and took down "Oh Stupid Ugly Eyesore Lamp" with it. And then I wondered how in the world I managed to come out in the living room, pet the dog, get a drink of water, go back through the living room to the bedroom and never notice Tree-Zilla laying over on the floor. Don't know, but I did. Sometimes I never cease to amaze myself. I'm clever.

So that evening, "Oh Christmas Tree" was re-decorated. Oh what fun that was. (That's meant to be sarcastic). It was a great big pain in the arse. There was Dan and I just shoving the stuff back on it haphazardly. It is screwed tightly in the stand, still scraping the ceiling, with the star wired to the side of the tallest branch in the middle, with the gaping hole that now everyone has noticed. "Oh Christmas Tree, Oh Christmas Tree, You are a great big pain in the arse"...........Next year, we'll just send Jerry.

The End

Christmastree2006.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
LOL Marty you always make me laugh and feel like I am right there in the room with you as you tell a story in fact gotta say I miss you we havent talked nearly enough lately I will fix that!

Anyway your tree is really pretty. I love Christmas trees but we cant have one since we have 3 indoor cats who knock over everything not to mention the dogs raven decorated a sparkletts bottle one year LOL

:risa_suelos:

Marty, you sure can tell a story.
default_yes.gif
:

I'm glad that no one was hurt during the "Oh Christmas Tree" exercise. :bgrin

I sure hope that your tree makes it through to Christmas without any further disasters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Marty Marty Marty :lol: :lol:

The tree looks good and i cant find the big gaping whole the size of texas anywhere, it looks soooo pretty!!! :aktion033: :aktion033:

You sould see our tree ..its kind of pittiful :lol:

:risa_suelos: Ahhhhh......the joys of Christmas......... Isn't this where we make those wonderful memories?

:lol: MA

Oh Marty, your tree looks FABULOUS!!
default_wub.png
:

Your story was great, I was expecting to see a disaster of a tree after all of that, but you saved "Oh Christmas Tree" and it looks fully up to the job!
default_yes.gif
:

I told hubby not to cut us a tree this year; I have a new four-foot artificial one that will do trick this year for us. It was just the right height for our 18 month old grandson to help decorate (he LOVED that!).

Thanks for the story of your adventures, Marty, and tell Dan he DONE GOOD!
default_smile.png

Marty thanks so much for sharing your Christmas Tree.

This year, we do not have one up yet, but going to my daughters for the Family get together.

So I will just enjoy yours
default_wub.png
:

Marty, dont let that dopey dog fool you. He was over there trying to mark "his" tree and and bumped it with his leg, when he was hiking it, to do the deed :new_shocked: .... Sure you didnt hear a snicker when you walked out of the room?

The tree looks GREAT!
default_yes.gif
: I dont see a whole either.

OH Marty I feel your pain.........

My guys went tree shopping over the weekend as well....we always let the boyz do this...well my youngest picked out this very cute Austrian pine.......I love pinse but this tree is pure evil................my hands are shredded just from trying to string the lights
default_wacko.png
:
default_wacko.png
: I am convinced putting lights on a porcupine would have been less painful.

Your tree is lovely.....and if you have too in the future.....a couple eye bolts in the ceiling and some fishing line can even prevent cats and dogs from "tree falling" in the wee hours of the night....................

As soon as I get some fresh batteries in the camera I will take pics of my tree and the gorgeous deck with all of it's lights....yay for the first time in my life I have a beautiful deck to decorate..........

Marty

Your O Christmas Tree looks wonderful my O Christmas tree is still outside leaning against the woodshed but will make its trip inside probably Friday night. Still am trying to finish the 14 stockings Im making for all the kids and grandkids who will be here Christmas Eve morning. But you did get me moving and the Den is decorated and the dining room is done and the kitchen Im working on. Livingroom will be last I think. One more time you are way ahead of me but it will be done for Christmas I promise.

That is one thing I miss down here in Florida. If you plan on having your tree up for more than 5 days forget live tree. Up north we would go cut one and it would still be soft with all its needles when we took it down in january. Friends called them mini sequoias. Our largest was ceiling to floor and 27 ft around. Now we settle for an artificial one but it is ceiling to floor. Thankfully our cat Miko has never bothered with the tree. He likes to lay under it on the skirt.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like our first Christmas with my cat from the humane society!! That year we had a tree till the 23rd and it was demolished along with my ornaments so I took it down and called of Christmas! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Love your story Marty!

Oh Marty,

I LOVED your tree story! You have such of a wonderful way with words!! Makes a person feel like they are right there with you.

I "really" think Michael had something to do with it! He just didn't like the way it was decorated and wanted you to do it all over again. I "know" because our first Christmas without Kerry that is exactly what happened.

First of all I didn't even want to put up a tree, it was so difficult decorating it and thinking about missing him and how much he loved to help - I had to force myself to put the ornaments on.

In the morning the entire tree was laying on the floor with ornaments all over the place. I was in tears but Kelly who was only 9 years old looked up at me and said, "Mom, don't cry - Kerry didn't like the way it was decorated so he knocked it down" - the second time redecorating was much easier and this time I made sure to get Kerry's ornaments in the proper places plus we did make sure the tree was tied to the wall.

Hugs to you Marty and your lovely tree! You are certainly a wonderful inspiration to all of us!!

Oh Marty, thanks for the laugh. You guys are ahead of us, our Christmas tree, a Canaan like Michael's tree is still in the field, not even cut down. Must be like the fairytales, the cobblers children had no shoes, the Christmas tree farmers have no Christmas tree in the house! Ours is usually in the stand by now, decorated on Christmas day at the earliest.

So funny! It looks like the tree made it through the near disaster ok! Looks great.

Very pretty Marty.

I just have to say that I have really enjoyed talking to you and Dan lately. I always feel so welcome and loved by you guys.

I can't wait to come out this summer!!!!!!!!!!!! :aktion033:

Dan has threatened to hunt me down himself if I don't! :new_shocked:

Great story!!! It reminds me of the last year I lived in Washington. I like trees that are as fat as they are tall and picked out this beautiful tree. I knew I was in trouble when I had great difficulty getting it out of my truck and into the house. Finally wrestled it into the house and it wouldn't fit the stand I had. Bought a bigger stand and man-handled it up.

OMG!!! It took up a third of my den which was quite a good sized room. Forget using the sliding glass door as you couldn't even find it behind the tree. I had to come to the realization that I went a little overboard that year and have chosen more wisely since.

At least you have yours up, and for the second time even. Mine is sitting on the front porch in the box. (artificial), along with all the decorations, in the box. Was going to put it up Monday night, then decided I would clean the carpets next day and put it up Tuesday night. Too tired. Decided we would do it Wednesday, then while re-arranging the office, dropped a large folding table on my big toe, so guess what? I just sat in the chair the rest of the afternoon and evening with ice packs on my foot. Didn't break it, but mashed the living fire out of it. As a bonus, I now have a big toe about three times the size it should be, but the color is different. Lots of blues, blacks, pinks and yucky color. And I still need to Christmas shop! If I can find a pair of shoes large enough to accommodate the bonus toe, and not hurt it. Oh well, should have put the tree up when I planned to the first time. At least now my grandson will be able to come help decorate and have hot homemade chocolate chip cookies between lights and ornaments! That will be a lot of fun!

Marty your tree is beautiful. I don't see the hole either! we can't have real trees any more due to my husband's allergies, my girls are bummed by the artificial tree, we always had such fun going to get a real one and decorating it... now half the time we don't even bother any more since the kids usually go away Christmas Day anyway and don't come back in time to help me take everything down. my big thing is the outdoor lights, at least i got those up this year! and they look so pretty...

Latest posts

Back