Of The Books You've Read This Year...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, you can load kindle and nook apps on the touch.

I have a touch and love it but have to say I love my Nook Color more for ebooks. The touch screen is a tad small.......

What is nice is you can load ebooks from some libraries which is a good way to save some bucks on books.

The only books I have read in 2011 are:

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book One - The Lightning Thief

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book Two - The Sea Of Monsters

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book Three - The Titan's Curse

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book Four - The Battle Of The Labyrinth

Percy Jackson and the Olympians Book Five - The Last Olympian

I just finished Book Five yesterday. I enjoyed this series by Rick Riordan. Not sure what I will read next.

I have just been thrilled with Patricia Briggs series for her character Mercy Thompson. In particular I LOVE Blood Bound. She is a rare shape shifter (turns into a coyote - not the same as werewolves).
I don't usually care for werewolves, vampires, etc....(although I did watch Dark Shadows many , many, many ,many years ago) But since getting my Kindle, I have been expanding my horizons, and read the sample of the first book of this series...bought it and have been reading it all afternoon .....and I am HOOKED !!! LOL....Good read, very interesting characters. LOVE it. Can't wait to read more !! Had to stop to feed and eat...LOL

I don't know what books I've read just this year off the top of my head. I am a avid reader, always have been.I usually like Legal Thrillers, and also like Clive Cussler, Stuart Woods, and one of my favorite books is HorsePlay by Judy Singer.

All books by Mary Kay Andrews about the Low Country. They are fun with a little mystery and usually include a murder or two.

Oh and Nevada Barr books, and the series of books about the Bloodhounds by Virginia Lanier, I've re-read all of them enough times to quote them. (I find comfort and calm in re-reading my favorite books) And of course the old Star Trek, Original series books. Still have them all.

I could go on and on, but I'll stop now. LOL

Lots of new books listed to try. Good thread !!
default_yes.gif

Sue

I like to read alot and a co-worker recently recommended Diana Gabaldon's "Outlander" Series... There are currently 7 books in the series and the 8th is in progress... She also has a series "Lord John" - they are much shorter and are based on a character in the outlander novels. The Lord John series only has 2 books and several "novellas"- 3 of the novellas were published into one book and the 4th is published as part of a collection of short stories. And there is a 3rd book currently in progress...

I also recently read atlas shrugged - it was a book I bought in college but never got around to reading so finally pulled it out and read it - very good also...

Recently listened to IN THE DARK OF THE NIGHT by John Saul. My sister-in-law normally loans me her audio books but recently I bought a lot of eighteen off of e-bay. I enjoy having a narrator.

I hardly get online these days (we moved last April, and apparently it's in the boonies because our options are "dial-up" and "satelite" internet
default_rolleyes.gif
), so I spend my days reading - alot! Lol. I've read so many good books lately. I really seem to be going through a Y.A. phase right now.

I just finished the Percy Jackson series, I didn't think I'd like it as well as I did. So now, I'm trying to decide what book to read next. Thanks Jill for starting this topic, I need ideas.
default_wink.png

Just curious if any of you avid readers have a shelfari?

I read every night when I go to bed and like nothing better than a good murder mystery.

Love the James Patterson books, Lee Childs, Michael Connelly, Steig Larson. Get a good giggle out of the 'Stephanie Plum'' (can't remember the author).

If I was asked for my favourite books of all time it would be The Hobbit and The Lord of The Rings Trilogy. Didn't discover them until I was into my 40s and have reread them several times since......and I NEVER reread books. Funnily enough I thoroughly enjoyed the movies too.

The Stephanie Plum books are by Janet Evanovich.

The Stephanie Plum books are by Janet Evanovich.
Hooray! I had been trying to remember her. Picked up a paperback in the Stephanie Plum ones this summer while I was at my grandson's state ball tournament. It kept me occupied between games. She's a hoot.

Some/most are historical fiction which I really enjoy. I would say I do about half reading and half audio books, I listen to books to fall asleep at night, and when I'm cleaning, doing stalls, etc. I'm such a voracious reader that when I don't have time to sit down with a book, I still get my "book fix" with audio books.

The Book Thief by Marcus Zusak

Who By Fire by Diana Spechler

Same Kind of Different As Me by Ron Hall & Denver Moore (true story)

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks

These two are non-fiction:

We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee

Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and lessons at the World's Permier School for Exotic Animal Trainers by Amy Sutherland. Also love the second one she wrote on reflection about her time at the zoo, What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love & Marriage.

Older one, but one of my favorites: Love Walked In by Marisa De los Santos

Just bought a Peter Straub book called, A Dark Matter. I can't get into it at all!!! Not sure if it's me or what. I think my concentration is off
default_wacko.png
Has anyone else read it? What did you think? I went out on the weekend and bought the fourth book in Dean Koontz' Frankenstein series. That should break my reading block
default_wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got my kindle this year and have been enjoying quite a few of the free books and some others. I tend to like horror but then I go to a Christian book then to a mystery...so I guess I'm all over the place in what I read.

Here's what I've read this year so far...Summer at Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs, Sunrise by Jacquelyn Cook, Watchlist by Jeffrey Deaver, Listen by Rene Gutteridge, Four Live Rounds by Blake Crouch and J. Konrath, Truck Stop by Jack Kilborn and J.A. Konrath, Abandon by Blake Crouch, Boyfriends, Burritos and an Ocean of Trouble by Nancy Rue,Two Rivers by T. Greenwood, Invisible by Lorena McCourtney, Serial by Jack Kilborn and Blake Crouch, Killing Red by Henry Perez, The List by J.A. Konrath and Jack Kilborn, Afraid by Jack Kilborn.

I just got my kindle this year and have been enjoying quite a few of the free books and some others. I tend to like horror but then I go to a Christian book then to a mystery...so I guess I'm all over the place in what I read.

Here's what I've read this year so far...Summer at Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs, Sunrise by Jacquelyn Cook, Watchlist by Jeffrey Deaver, Listen by Rene Gutteridge, Four Live Rounds by Blake Crouch and J. Konrath, Truck Stop by Jack Kilborn and J.A. Konrath, Abandon by Blake Crouch, Boyfriends, Burritos and an Ocean of Trouble by Nancy Rue,Two Rivers by T. Greenwood, Invisible by Lorena McCourtney, Serial by Jack Kilborn and Blake Crouch, Killing Red by Henry Perez, The List by J.A. Konrath and Jack Kilborn, Afraid by Jack Kilborn.

Ooooo....I like Jack Kilborn, too. I read Afraid last year. Very good.

Last edited by a moderator:
If anyone wants to do a swap for a swap on an audio just pm me. I am not interested in collecting and will not be listening to one twice. Would be willing to drop your choice in a mailer and wait for one from you.
default_saludando.gif

I read a lot too, in the winter months! Last week I finished "River Gods" by Wilbur Smith. It takes place in ancient Egypt, just a piece of fiction, but I was just enthralled with it!

Before that I read "The Story of Edgar Sawtelle" by David Wroblewski. If you haven't read this book, it's a must! What an amazing story. (Fiction)

Right now I'm reading "River of Doubt" by Candace Millard. It's the true story of Theodore Roosevelt's 1914 trip down the Amazon, in areas which had never been explored before. It's fascinating!

I used to read Stephen King books but haven't read one in ten years. I think I got burnt out on the same-old same-old.

I'm reading The Shack by WM. Paul Young, almost done and I really like it.

Funny......I've never considered audio books unless it's for while driving.

This year I've re-read Mary Stewart's Merlin series. Never get tired of it........ Just loaned them all out to a certain family member with my husband's reassurance that she'll return them.......(Nervous.)
Oh my goodness! I love Mary Stewart! I think I've read everything she's ever written!

Latest posts

Back