Ode to Little Joe

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sedeh

Reaction score
100_0198.jpg

The past couple of weeks have been tough for use. Lost our old golden Duke(previous post), a family friend, and now my last "big" horse Joe. Joe was 37+ years old and was such a great horse! He was a true Heinz 57 and definately had some draft mixed in. He had a big old jug head, big bones, and the kindest eye I've ever seen on a horse. His heart ended up being just as big.
default_smile.png
Supposedly he was "9" yo when I bought him. The vets couldn't agree on his age, thought he was between 13-20. Later as his teeth stopped growing and wore out we realized he was probably 20 when I got him. He had some trust issues and we couldn't hot shoe him because he freaked out when a forge was lit. Once he shed out I realized the scar on his face was actually a brand. 3 inch high numbers "26", he had one on his flank also. I can't imagine the terror he must of felt when that branding iron seared into his face, on his jowl just below his eye. My farrier, bless his heart, pounded cold shoes for Joe his hole life!
default_smile.png
Joe took me up and down so many mountains in Oregon and No Calif. He was the most sure footed horse I'd ever been on and he made me feel safe. Even when he stepped into a yellow jacket nest once and went plunging down the trail trying to shake them off he still managed to stay on the trail and not go down the 50 ft side hill. He was "uncle Joe" to my colt and when the colt grew up and became my main riding horse Joe became the company horse. He was so good with kids! Even though he never really trusted adults(other than me) kids could run right up to him and he wouldn't move a muscle. When the kids were brushing him he never moved a foot. And when they rode him and they asked him to trot he always looked at me like "really mom?". If I said it was okay he would trot for them. After my accident he was the only horse I felt comfortable on. Went on a camping trip with a friend and her niece and brought Joe along for the niece to ride. I wasn't planning on riding at all. One morning my friend didn't feel like riding and pressured me into riding. I told her I would but her niece would have to ride her mare. So, off we went. We weren't too far out and the horses spooked at something and the mare took off with the niece. Joe and I tracked them down and found the young lady on the ground, a bit banged up but no major injuries. I was glad I had insisted she wear a helmet. We found the mare nearby and I asked the niece(can't remember her name!) if she wanted to ride...and with the quivering lower lip she said "on Joe"....and so she did.

When I got the minis Joe was in his 30's and I allowed him in the pasture with the mares. He was their protector. Once the neighbors young "Big horse" stallion got chased by the older stallion they had and plowed through our fence and got in with the minis. I wasn't home at the time and don't know how long he was in the pasture with the girls. But when I got home Joe had that horse cornered in the far end of the pasture and wasn't letting him get near "Joe's" girls. I did have to seperate Joe from the minis when I got a stallion. Joe was getting too aggressive with "his" girls. He lived out his remaining years in the pasture adjacent to the mare herd. He liked to be fed near the dividing gate and he would push some of his hay under the gate to share with his ladies. Last Wednesday he was fine in the morning, ate all of his breakfast. I saw him at 1 pm hanging by his girls as usual. At 4pm my husband said "I think Joe's caught in the fence" we went out and Joe was down and obviously dying. I'm so thankful it was over quickly for him. With the help of good neighbors he's now buried in his pasture. The mares still go to the gate in the mornings and wonder where he is.
default_sad.png

I knew his time was coming and I thought I was prepared....I wasn't. I know I'll see him again one day and that he's running on green pastures again all healthy and happy! My friend reminded me that of course our horses and other pets are waiting for us in heaven, God wouldn't destroy any good things he made. Little Joe you will be missed!

Godspeed Little Joe
wub.gif

What a beautiful tribute to a beautiful spirit. I'm so sorry Sandy that he's gone. I know you weren't ready, but he was and he loved his life right to the end. You are a wonderful horsey mom! Hugs to you and all that loved him.

Joe was definitely a special, once in a lifetime horse. Thank you for sharing a little of your boy with us.
sad.gif

Hugs to you,

Barbara

Thank you for sharing a little bit of Joe with us..... He was a "one in a million" type horse. Wish I could have known him in person. Blessings to you in your loss.....

What a beautiful tribute to your Joe.. Thank you for sharing his story. Hugs to you, Godspeed to Joe..

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I've been reminiscing about Joe all day. So many good memories. Still can't get used to him not being there. By rote filled up his grain bucket today before I caught myself.
default_sad.png

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I've been reminiscing about Joe all day. So many good memories. Still can't get used to him not being there. By rote filled up his grain bucket today before I caught myself.
default_sad.png
Oh, yeah, that hurts, doesn't it? (I don't believe this! We don't have a "hug" smiley?!)
default_cheekkiss.gif

I'm sorry for your loss. Though it sounds like he had a rough road getting there, his final, forever home with you was a place where he was loved and appreciated. He was very lucky to have found you. God bless you!

I'm doing this --->
default_crybaby.gif

I'm so sorry Sandy! But I envy you, having had such a horse. He sounds like the horse I've always dreamed of having.

He's still there and always will be, watching his girls and you.

{{{Hugs}}}

Sandy,

So sorry for your loss. I lost my one-in-a-million horse back in June, and it still hurts (especially seeing his empty paddock, but I'm working on fixing it up so a mini or two can move in and it won't be empty).

default_crybaby.gif
default_wub.png

Sorry about Joe but you gave him the best home to live out his last days. He was a "one in a million" horse but he wasn't all saint either. He was the best with kids but could be a begger with adults. Remember when he decided he wanted to go home with you on him and you couldn't get him turned around? I remember riding him the weekend of my carpal tunnel surgery and he knew I couldn't use my right hand very well and tried to take advantage of me. He had his stubborn streak.

That said, he has packed many of us on unforgettable rides in beautiful places and left us with wonderful memories. Rest in peace Joe, you deserve it for all you did for us.

i'm so sorry for your loss. joe sounds like a great horse who gave you lots of wonderful memories. i know that empty feeling, i still occasionally think i need to fill tuffy's bucket. *sigh* i hope your happy memories of joe will soon push the bad ones behind.

(((((hugs)))))

Remember when he decided he wanted to go home with you on him and you couldn't get him turned around?

That actually is one of the memories I keep flashing back to.
default_smile.png
It was my first time out on him at home. He had been ridden in a curb bit and I rode English and all I had were snaffles. We went down the road and when he decided he didn't want to go any further he just turned around and slowly walked back!
default_smile.png
I couldn't do a darn thing to change his mind! He didn't know leg cues and just ignored that silly old snaffle in his mouth....just kept walking back to the barn! There were lots of times in those first weeks that I thought "what did I buy". Because of his trust issues Joe had his moments that's for sure! I also remember taking him out into and overgrown field next door and he stepped in a huge pile of hidden barb wire. Caught his shoe in it. I was so scared he was going to freak out and we'd get all cut up. But once he realized he was caught he just stood there until I got off and freed his foot. We had so many episodes on our trail rides where if I'd been on a different horse I would have been hurt. Even though he wasn't "perfect" he always made me feel safe and secure.

Latest posts

Back