odd discharge but no foal etc

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

kaykay

These last two mares i have to foal out are making me nuts!!

Patches has had a thick white discharge from her vulva for 2.5 days now. I thought it was her mucous plug but she still hasnt foaled. It looks like white snot--sorry but i cant think of a better way to say it. We did a milk test today and it showed almost 3 pink squares.

Tiny also has some wierd discharge but i can never see it. Both mares have white marks where it drips on their vulvas and down their legs. Almost looks like white powder down the vulva. Also tiny now dribbles urine whenever she walks. I have never had a mare do this! But tiny has hardly no bag at all even though shes soft and pointed. According to my dates she is 3.5 weeks past due

Both are maidens. Anyone seen these things?? Maybe i should take pics

Mare stare is killing me this year!

Kay

I don't really know, so bumping this up for Kay.

somebody? anybody?? i was so hoping someone else had a mare that did this so i wouldnt worry

Sorry i can't help you on this. Crazy year this year.

I have a mare that waxed heavy for 7 days. Then quit waxing for 2 days and started again tonight. Pointy tail head, nice bag and loose under the hood. She's 305 days today and not a maiden but she has me goofy too.

Hope they get at it and foal soon for you. Good luck.

Im no help. We have 2 mares with medium bags and fluid, whitish easily expressed. 1 of these mares was due mid june and now its july, no baby, and she is not that big. Put a stallion in just to see and she is showing to him big time. He was interested and mounted her but didnt breed her. Now I dont even know if she is prego or not.

The other mare is slim and got a good sized bag too but tried her with a stud last week and they bred right away. So I am thinking the mare in NOT pregnant but with minis who knows???

Well Kay, I don't mean to alarm, but my vet always tells me if I see ANY discharge on a bred mare to call him immediately and he will ultrasound. He says most discharge in a pregnant mare is an indicator of some sort of infection.

I would have the vet check it out, especially since you have two doing the same thing.

We did have one mare have a white thickish discharge this year. Sorry I cannot remember how long before she foaled but I think it was less than a week (probably only a few days before). Perfect delivery though. We've had around 90 foals since 86 & I have only seen that a few times even though I raise tails all day long on mares in their last few weeks.............. We did have one mare years ago have a blackish tarish discharge which the vet said was her mucous plug. We put her on regumate but she foaled fine.

I would worry about the purulent discharge. That would have me calling the vet.

The other one sounds okay....and just acting like a maiden!

But I would have the vet to check the one with the discharge. I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

Latest posts

Back