Odd Behavior in Weaned Two Year Old?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tremor

Reaction score
I would like to start out by saying that in the six years that we bred minis (and in the 14+ foals we produced) I have never had any of my foals exhibit this behavior.

A couple months ago I made a thread about this same filly and this behavior. However, I got it wrong. I thought that she was CHEWING with her head to the ground. Those who posted figured it was her teeth.

Just a couple days ago I was watching her do this again. I had to get low to the ground to see what she was actually doing. Instead of chewing she was SUCKING. If any of you have had foals you will know what this looks like. Lips slightly parted with the tongue angled so that it can grab onto the teat. This is exactly what this filly is doing; with her head down to the ground AND while she walks.

She is out with the rest of my herd. That includes 2 grown mares who have had more than two foals, 1 gelding, 2 two year old, and a yearling. None of them do this either.

I would hope that my filly isn't the only one who does this and that others will be able to speculate why she is doing this and what I can do.

I'm not sure if this is a "bad" behavior and if I should try to get her to stop?

I have a mature mare that sucks the inside of her cheek, and has been known to do this in the show ring! I think it is just a habit, and she doesn't do it very often. She is most likely to do it right after she is given a treat, so, you guessed it - no treats in the show ring!

I would keep an eye on this filly to see if you can figure ouut what triggers this. My guess it is just a habit, like some people even do this, maybe when stressed or bored.

I have an older broodmare, that was shown when younger, we bought her as a weanling and she tried to suckle from another weanling, that would have nothing to do with it. She turns her head around to the side and makes sucking noises, with tongue curled. She does this with a foal on her or open. I thought it was because she was weaned early. Sorry I'm not much help, but I also have a dwarf that pretends to graze, even when she is not, she does have grass in her paddock that she eats, but sometimes when I go to check on her she is only pretending. I can only think it is something attributed to horse language that says look at me I'm a regular horse, just grazing. About the sucking, I have no idea other then being weaned too early.

Riverrose, we did wean her at about 5 months (In October I believe) because I remember her half brother being 6 months old and needing a weaning buddy. 5 Months is the youngest we've ever weaned (and 8 months being our oldest)

She normally does this right after she gets done eating her grain but I do see her doing this throughout the day as well. I'll have to keep a closer eye on her body language as well as the herds'.

I wonder if its a sign that she's suggesting that she's an inferior animal (aka younger) (I say inferior only because her head is pointed towards the ground?) and that the rest of the herd are more dominant. However, she is a very bossy little filly towards the others.

I had a mare that when stressed or upset would do that. It was her way of pouting.

I had a bottle raised filly that did this after she was weaned from the bottle. She stopped by the age of three. This year I put her in with a pregnant mare. As soon as the mare foaled... she started doing it again!!! I just figure she is daydreaming about nursing. Her favorite is to find a rock or large leaf on the ground to "air suckle" on. Just a warning though, the new colt is now doing it at 5 months old which leads me to believe that it can possibly be a learned habit...
default_thumbdown.gif

I have had a couple Apha paint horses that would do this after treats, grain (especially mixed with juicy beet pulp!), or something yummy. They would curl their tongue like nursing and suck. I always thought it was cute and just a habit. Never worried about it though.

I have an 8 year old mare that has sucked her tongue all her life. Head down like you are describing. It has given her a bit of an overbite, but otherwise has caused no problems.

I was told that the head down position after receiving a treat was to get more saliva in the mouth. I have a 23 yr old gelding that does this with every treat.

I'm thinking she might have a cavity in a tooth. Like after she eats she is trying to maneuver it because its uncomfortable. You know when we get something stuck between a tooth, we can floss or use a toothpick to fix it....like that.

I caught her doing it again last night. It was not feeding time and there weren't any herd interactions with her. Most of the herd was paying attention to me while she was on the outskirts of the circle doing her thing. Lol.

I did get a picture of her doing it. I'll have to upload it.

I wouldn't be too concerned. As long as it is not endangering her anyone else, I wouldn't worry. Its probably just a habit or quirk she's got. All horses have their quirks, that's hers.

But I would say that maybe she is bored? How about chucking a horse toy in with her - she's only young...or perhaps another young buddy to play with.

My young horses (providing they're not showing) are turned out 24/7 in a large, hilly paddock. They get to run, play and just grow! I let them mature mentally and physically before I really do anything with them (unless I sell them).

You may find she could grow out of out.

I have an 8 year old mare that has sucked her tongue all her life. Head down like you are describing. It has given her a bit of an overbite, but otherwise has caused no problems.
Hmmmm my "air suckler" also has an overbite that she didnt have at birth but I never even thought about a connection between the two. Neither of her parents or her full siblings have the overbite and she is the only one who "suckles air".

I also agree with the above post and believe that they can outgrow this habit.

Back