October - any special fall festivals or Halloween plans?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minihorse

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
I'm sitting here where today will be in the 90s. Not exactly October weather (even if last day of September).

But, we are about to start the months with celebrations and plans are made, crafts are done and get togethers are happening.

So, far, I have no plans except participating in a play with some dolls I'm dressing for a doll store scene.

Or do you have photos and stories about previous Octobers?

The state fair,Yeah! I look forward to the fair every year. I buy honey from the small farms that only have a small supply, so they sell at the fair. My favorite is the coffee/chocolate. I love the crafts, and demonstrations. Autumn is my favorite time of year. It's also a birthday month for my son, and sister. Christmas decorations go up near the end of the month. Yes, I know that is strange. My mini has his bi-yearly vet check. He doesn't have contact with other horses, but our property backs onto a slough. We also have deer, racoon, foxes, ect. Better safe than sorry. I love that Dapper Dan will be finger painted! Please post pictures.

Dapper Dan, and possibly also Midnight, are going to a local harvest festival at the end of October to be finger painted on. First time to do this, so we'll see how it goes.

Now that sounds different and interesting. I hope you take lots of photos and post some here.

Tonight is our Women's Friendship Dinner. When I went to set up my table this morning, there were only 3 tables finished. Mine is the strawberry one. I'm also making some chocolate-dipped strawberries to lay on each plate. The speaker will be a teacher who was in the Moore, Oklahoma tornado a few years ago and saved many of her students at the school. Should be interesting.
IMG_1131.JPG IMG_1135.JPG IMG_1136.JPG

@Marsha Cassada That is so neat. And I like your strawberry table with the chocolate strawberries coming for them.
About how many tables will there be?

I like your table Marsha. It's the nicest of the three, it's a happy table. The other two not so much. They are nice, but even the sunflower table isn't cheerful. The speaker does sound interesting. I get sucked into the weather channel, so I have seen the harrowing tales. Hope you have a great time!

I think there were 15 tables, some done by individuals and some by civic groups. I ended up at the table of the Fortnightly Club and enjoyed my dining companions. Our table had a Christmas theme. I met two women I did not know before, which was very nice. The menu was ceasar salad, chicken alfredo, rolls, and cheesecake. The Junior Main Street young ladies waited on us. The chocolate strawberries turned out all right. I would like to have used white chocolate, as I think it would have matched better, but I was nervous about experimenting. I just used the packaged dipping chocolate. I did receive compliments on my table.
The speaker had a class of very young children. When the storm was predicted to go close to the school, many parents came and got their children. She had 7 students when it struck. She told them they were going to play "worm"; they put the desks together and got under the desks. She led them in songs. She told them heroes were going to rescue them. The concrete wall of the classroom fell on them and then the roof fell on top of that. They were dug out fairly quickly, but I'm sure it felt like an eternity. It took several hours for the parents to get there as roads were closed for 2 miles around; she said one dad ran 8 miles to get there. The children were taken to safe places. She said she suffered post traumatic syndrome for quite a while, with nightmares and anxiety attacks.

Didn't she have a daughter at school as well? I can totally understand why she suffered from PTSD. I'm so glad they were all safe.I didn't know the wall, and the roof fell on them! That she was able to keep it together for those seven kids is amazing. I don't think they would all have survived if she had lost it. One or more of her little ones might have bolted.What a brave soul.On a lighter note, I'm glad you had a good time. I admire your community involvement. You live an enviable life. I have a severe immune disorder, CIVD,and other health issues that limit my contact with people. I enjoy all the tales of long rides, and excursions everyone on the site is involved in. My mini Cully Blu, and I visit inside for the most part.I ride him down the road when I'm able, but I want to switch to driving in the future. My whole family pitches in with the work, but horse talk only illicits eye rolls. This site is so great!

Oh, I love these photos. That Pink Elephant would be great outside a bar.

Latest posts

Back