Obsidian's Prophecy (Sid)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!
Meet Sid!
He is a 3 year old stallion who I have recently purchased for my 3 and 4 year old daughters. He is AMHR registered, although I would like to get him AMHA registered as well if possible.
He has lots of great genetics and potential to be amazing in the ring given the chance!

Attachments

• 20220826_191027.jpg
    20220826_191027.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 00L0L_d6jesSojY6Qz_0fu0bC_1200x900.jpg
    00L0L_d6jesSojY6Qz_0fu0bC_1200x900.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 0
My isn't he handsome?!?!!? Congratulations.
Now I'm a stallion advocate myself, but any reason you've opted for a stallion for your young children?

My isn't he handsome?!?!!? Congratulations.
Now I'm a stallion advocate myself, but any reason you've opted for a stallion for your young children?
Stallions definitely can be a little wild. Oddly enough, he is not. Absolutely the calmest stallion I have seen. We had the farrier out today and he was blown away that he was still intact. Suggested "if his attitude is this good still intact I wouldn't cut him".

Attachments

• IMG_1908.jpg
    IMG_1908.jpg
    804.7 KB · Views: 0
I have a big warmblood stallion that I bred and raised. He's 12 now. My 13-year-old daughter adores him and rides him outside in obstacles often. I compare him to Ferdinand the Bull! We've live covered him, pasture and in hand, and still, at the barn, he's a big teddy bear.

Not all stallions are big, crazy manimals that need to be handled with 2 stud chains. In my opinion, those stallions should not remain intact. The disposition of our boys, coupled with trainability, exceptional movement and conformation, make a stallion worthy of remaining intact.

But that's my soapbox...

I adore your littles loving on him! The sweetest thing.

Attachments

• Ali Ritchie.jpg
    Ali Ritchie.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
Total noob here - I grew with Walking Horses, and stallions, in general, are mild-mannered gentlemen, but some bloodlines can run a little hotter. In TWH shows, stallions cannot be shown in youth classes. Is this not a thing with the mini shows?

That's a great question! And I love your observation. Properly so, stallions should be exceptional. I know it's the same for most breeds and disciplines - that juniors can't handle stallions. I can't speak to mini shows at all though. I have no experience. Someone else?

@tashmahall It's complicated, but for the most part, youth can show stallions.
In Amhr, they have junior stallion halter classes for youth 13 and over, no senior stallion classes though. The junior stallion class is also only held at Nationals. Stallions are not allowed in youth showmanship, but youth 13 and over are allowed to show senior stallions in performance, (driving, obstacle etc.) and in open halter, showmanship, and performance.
In Aspc, youth are not allowed to show stallions in any youth halter, showmanship or performance class with the exception that they can show a weanling stallion, and it does not mention whether they can show in open. Most youth don't though.
In NSPPR, stallions are not allowed to be shown by youth at any time.
In Amha they do not have youth stallion halter classes, but no youth 12 or under can show a stallion, except for weanling and yearling colts in non performance which would mean, color, costume or open halter. Youth 13 and over can show a stallion in youth performance and open classes, halter and performance.

@tashmahall It's complicated, but for the most part, youth can show stallions.
In Amhr, they have junior stallion halter classes for youth 13 and over, no senior stallion classes though. The junior stallion class is also only held at Nationals. Stallions are not allowed in youth showmanship, but youth 13 and over are allowed to show senior stallions in performance, (driving, obstacle etc.) and in open halter, showmanship, and performance.
In Aspc, youth are not allowed to show stallions in any youth halter, showmanship or performance class with the exception that they can show a weanling stallion, and it does not mention whether they can show in open. Most youth don't though.
In NSPPR, stallions are not allowed to be shown by youth at any time.
In Amha they do not have youth stallion halter classes, but no youth 12 or under can show a stallion, except for weanling and yearling colts in non performance which would mean, color, costume or open halter. Youth 13 and over can show a stallion in youth performance and open classes, halter and performance.
That seems to align with other breed organizations - I showed stallions (not minis) at 16, just not in youth classes. Thank you so much for all the info!! Looks like I need to get my hands on some rule books.

Latest posts

Back