Oak/Walnut stained Jerald show carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manyspots

Reaction score
I need to be out doing chores but taking a quick minute to ask those of you that have the natural wood finishes in the Jerald show carts if you could share pics or what you can share with us about your cart. types of wheels, etc. We have the black carts but now thinking of getting a natural wood one. Probably not wooden wheels, as we have been told they pull much harder through the deep sand areanas. Walnut or the lighter oak? Any brass? Have various colors of driving horses. thanks for sharing. Now off to chore a while! You can also pm if you prefer. Lavonne

I don't currently have a cart, so will be watching to see what others say.

I kind of like the idea of a oak/walnut stained cart.

Maybe the natural stained wood Jeralds are not as popular as the black or colored ones for showing ?

I have a natural wood Jerald and I love it. I used it for showing and it worked just fine. I have had mine for 3 years and it is like new. I did have to order two new bottom boards, as we had a slight accident! Jerald send them lickety split and they matched perfectly. Do get the bicycle wheels, as they work so nicely and there isn't much maintenance. Before you even take it on the road, though, replace the tubes with heavy duty thorn proof ones with green slime in them. You won't get half a block otherwise! The bicycle wheels are especially desireable if your horse is small. I also have a Jerald sulky, which I love. It is painted wood, and of course the painted finish shows wear.

Marsha

I have a cart in the Mahogany finish, with burgundy striping, and I love it--when I have a choice of using that one or a black one, I will always choose the wood one. It's much classier, I think. You need to make sure, though, that you get a wood finish that matches the horse(s) you will be using it with. I use mine with a sorrel, a silver bay, and a chocolate silver dapple, and it looks great with all three. It probably wouldn't look great with a grey horse, though. As for the wood wheels, they do tend to pull harder, especially if the footing is at all deep. If the footing is perfect (like at Worlds), then there is not much difference, but I don't even bother bringing the wood wheels to local shows, because the footing is never perfect.

Anyway, I would definitely recommend a wood finish cart, except if you'll also be using it for Roadster, then black is probably better.

Lavonne, have you been to Jerald's website?

jeraldwoodenpleasure.jpeg

This one is light oak I believe, with the wood wheels. Come to Nationals so:

1. I get to see you

2. See all the gorgeous Jeralds on display in the different wood stains. I LOVE them.

I bought the 30" wood wheels so I could show in the Carriage Classes at the Iowa State Fair, which led to learning about ADS which led me to Carriage Shows and Combined Driving. The wheels are horrible in sand, but great on grass and hard packed dirt.

Last edited by a moderator:
nat1.jpg

This isnt a Jerald...but its a light stained ash by Houghton. Just thought you'd like to see another stain version.

Latest posts

Back