NWMHC Schooling Show this weekend

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RainSong

Reaction score
I managed to pop in for a few hours (spur of the moment), even met a lady from in town who let me comb out one of her horses' manes. I met her husband, Tim, too- him and I chatted a little while she was doing one of the jump classes. It was pretty neat, but I didn't know a soul- I ended up pretty lonely and more then a little depressed- so hard seeing everyone enjoying their horses and not even knowing anyone to chat with! I sure did enjoy it for awhile though- and there were SO MANY wonderful horses to see!

I did get a big kick out of seeing the HUGE surprised smile on one girls face when she one first in one of the mares classes- she actually won two firsts in a row! She really did have a gorgeous little mare, too.

I was wandering around scaring people- blue jeans, scruffy shoes, and a black jacket all zipped up. I know I got eyeballed a few times, but a few people smiled, and a couple talked to me a little.

Well...I sure hate to sound like a wimp, but we wimped out.

We were planning on heading over this morning, but when we went out to set up the van, it was snowing, the wind was blowing, and we froze our tushes off. We decided that this was supposed to be a fun show, and we weren't having any fun!

At least we can save our money for Oregon Gold...

Su-SANNE!
default_new_shocked.gif
:DOH! Bad girl! I was so looking forward to your report.
default_sad.png

Rainsong, I'm really sorry but if it makes you feel any better I don't believe most the forum members made it to this event. I know neither Liz, Kari, Clickmini, nor myself were planning on attending and apparently Susanne didn't make it either. I'm sure you'd have recognized our horses if we were there! Do me a favor and if you ever get to a show and see Kody please come introduce yourself as "Rainsong on LB" because otherwise I'd miss meeting you and I'd hate to have that happen.
default_smile.png

Leia

Did the lady have red hair and glasses? Could be Kate Beevers. VERY nice lady.

Was there many people there? Since it was a new place to have it was wondering how the turn out was. It always seems to be crappy weather for it. Sad.

Brrrr, it was very cold yesterday, but I did go over for the classes in the morning and had to take off around 11:00. Wish I would have brought one of the horses along for some hands-on experience, I was just one of the few spectators. But it was fun to talk to a couple of people I have met, and meet a couple more.

I heard Kate tell someone she had 6 horses with her, and she was rotating them in and out of the arena all by herself. Very nice looking horses she has
default_yes.gif

If I had a vote in it, I would be all for the club holding an event at Mt. Hood Equestrian Center on '09. Right across the highway from me!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Honestly, I feel bad- I didn't catch her name! And if I remember right her hair was red or reddish. O.O She did have six horses though- the one I watched her run through the jumps (And whom I had the joy of combing out the man of) was named Snappy. She was either stalled near friends, or had someone who boards maybe? With her- they were showing and black and white colt (Dandy, maybe?) who was just really great looking- the firl showing him got at least one first in a driving class, which was great.

It WAS COLD, however it was actually warmer inside then out for the most part- Tim said they'd really been working to fix things up. I don't know, because I'd only been there during the summer. They had Arby's at the concession stand, serving breakfast and lunch and specialty coffee. I think the turnout was really limited by weather and location. It was rather muddy between the barns, practice ring, and the arena.

The judge was awesome- he took the time after each class to talk to the people who had been in the class. I got to hear him when he was closer to the spectator arena at the end of a mare's class- he was explaining what he was looking for during various parts of the class, and why.

Overall, I think it was pretty good- it just struck me all mixed up because I was seeing everyone else with horses, and I'd give my eyeteeth for that
default_smile.png

Next time I'm at a show, I'll definately have to put on an ID tag of some sort. I'm hoping I'll be able to drive in time for the MiniMac show- I test again tomorrow, so here's hoping.

Charissa, now I feel doubly bad that I didn't go!

Fuel prices and kids' dentist bills and all, it just seemed out of the budget this year.

However, if you do make it to a show where we have horses there, you are more than welcome to be honorary groom/handler, etc. and bring Nathan, too...what's one more little crazy man running around getting into things? We have our share of them!

Please feel free to come on over, too...we're always here and would love to visit.

Our next show is Sea Tac at Elma. Have sent in our entries, and are bringing Mouse and Nena (a/k/a the little black meanie).

Please don't feel bad, I just think this show kind of get left out in the cold for a couple of reasons (weather, fuel prices)! You are always welcome to come to the shows and we all appreciate your being there.

Liz

Oh no! Don't feel bad for not going. I knew a lot of you wouldn't be there, since it isn't the most popular of places, AND because of the insane weather and fuel
default_smile.png

I totally understand the dentist bill thing... after getting walloped with a $400+ Dr's bill for Nathan's last wellness visit & shots.
default_new_shocked.gif

The problem I have with any of the shows in WA is the time it takes to get there. We'd have to stay overnight to make it feasible, and.. well, THAT isn't feasible. Maybe after I can drive and we've moved - we're looking at moving up near Salem, Beaverton, or around the I-5 corridor someplace- depending.

I wish I could visit. I'd have been there so long ago if I could just get in the car and go. It's enough to drive me nuts!

If I ever DO get to a show, I'm free help LOL I'll do just about anything, but be forewarned- I don't know more then the basics of grooming and the like
default_smile.png
I'm good at holding stuff though LOL

Last edited by a moderator:
I had heard that the judge was going to do that, and I was really looking forward to it. I knew I'd regret not going, and now I do...but as I said, this will make Oregon Gold a little more affordable.

I did a quick Google on Kate Beevers hoping to get a pop on a Farm name or something- figured I may get a pic of her or the horses I'd recognize... Oh boy I got more then that! No wonder she said her business was keeping her busy! WOW.
default_new_shocked.gif
I feel like I was really out of my league there
default_smile.png
She was very nice- and it was indeed her that I spent time hanging around!

I wish I could've gone, but no.... If you can make Sea-Tac, I'll be there with Tigger and Miss Priss. Or, I should be at MiniMac with Tigger. My trainer and I (and possibly a certain little boy...) will both be handling her, so come say hi if you see any of us!!!

Kari

I did not even make it to the Albany show. Was going to go..but like Susanne... we had a generous 4" of snow on the ground most of the day. With the show 2 hours away, one way....

Had mixed feelings about it but ended up not going.

To ask that silly question...which shows do all of you intend on going to this spring/summer?

Oregon Gold is going to have to wait until next year sadly, so my official season will start with Pacific Crown the first weekend in June. Then the Cavalcade of Ponies show in Monroe for the first time, Happ's CDE the next weekend if Kody's ready for marathon by then, the new Inavale CDE in Philomath, OR in July (again, if Kody's ready) possibly followed by the Beavercreek CDE. August will be INSANE with a bunch of weddings, Lincoln Creek CDE, Evergreen AMHR show, the Oregon State Fair if I'm lucky and gosh knows what else. We'll finish off with the Happ's VSE DT-T! in September and then I hope to go to the National Drive again in KY- unfortunately without Kody.
default_sad.png

I'm fairly sure I know everyone else's schedules but it'll be interesting to see if I'm right.
default_biggrin.png

Leia

I'm focusing on AMHA, so sadly probably won't get to show with a lot of LB members.
default_no.gif

Planning to be at:

NWMHC Sea-Tac in April (Elma, WA)

NWMHC Emerald Valley in May (Eugene, OR)

NWMHC Can-Am in June (Monroe, WA)

NWMHC Mini Mac in July (McMinnvillle, OR)

AMHA Western Championship in July (Reno,NV)

AMHA Worlds in Sept/Oct (Fort Worth, TX)

And maybe:

NWMHC Central Point in August (Central Point, OR)

Oregon State Fair (Salem, OR)

My best chances for joining y'all at shows are Mini Mac and the Oregon State far- since McMinnville and Salem are sort of close (1/2hr and 1hr respectively))

Latest posts

Back