NW extreme heat (for our mild climate, that is)

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

susanne

dB
Reaction score
Ugghh...

Today our high temperature is predicted to be 104 degrees in the Portland area/Willamette Valley. Here in Scappoose, the last few days have been hotter than the other areas, so who knows what it will be. This may not be unusual for many of you, but for the temperate northwest it is record setting.

I'll be dunking little dogs in cool water and setting up the sprinkler in part of the corral, so that the horses can cool themselves if they want. Mingus probably won't, though -- he hates flying water...

I'm just glad we have no pavement and lots of shade up on our hillside and that we can sleep out on the meadow. Fortunately humidity is low and we have a slight breeze, but still -- anything over 85 around here is too danged hot!

Stay cool!

Wow! I grew up in Vancouver...that is so HOT
default_new_shocked.gif
for that area. We are at 105 right now in the TriCities...used to it getting up to 100 or so here, usually in July. However, this is a little warm for us too
default_no.gif
...our dog kennel and horse corrals are shaded by trees and we have fans going out there, the thermometer out there says 90....took my plant watering jug out to the barn and watered the minis and dogs a couple of times. Took some Slurpees to my husband and his friends as they are working in a very warm autoshop today. We have large fires burning to the north and south of us at the moment. Don't think they are threatening any homes, thankfully! I really worry about fire firefighters in this weather! Stay cool...I remember being miserable in Vancouver when it was 90...because we had one little air conditioner that didn't do too much. Here we are pretty spoiled with central air....How is everyone handling it over there....? Suppose to be hot here through the weekend...even warmer!
default_wacko.png
Ugh!

Stay cool!
default_488.gif
~ From the Washington Desert
default_saludando.gif
... Becky

OMG I don't envy you guys at all! Those are outrageously hot temps! Luckily you don't have the humidity to go along with it like we do. We've have a horrible summer with heat and humidty. This weird weather is now bringing us fall like temps and we're loving it. But I'm still wondering when we're gonna get another dose of August......I'm so ready to move on from summer.....bleh, bleh, bleh.....it's not fun doing chores in the high humidity when the sweat is running off your face and down your back! :DOH!
default_rolleyes.gif

Lets just say.. I am sooo glad this place has air conditioning! I melt in anything over 75*. Animals, so far..seem to be holding up just fine. Tell'ya... this weather is just plan silly.
default_wacko.png

It has been chilly here the past two or so weeks, in the low to mid 70's ...very nice
default_laugh.png
. Its been really chilly at night, really really chilly to where im using light winter blankets at night on some.

I am just south of Eugene, and roasting! It is starting to cool off now, but at noon today it was miserable. I lined the boys up and did assemply line horse and mini washing. Didn't even hook it up to the utility sink for warm water....they didn't seem to care
default_wink.png

Here is Hondo showing off the new sign.

IMG_3102_6_1-1.jpg

YIKES !!!! I hate the heat. Makes me feel ill.. My daughter and I went to Evergreen and it was awful..... Saw Annette, LoriG Leia and Dorthy Whiteman. And they were all showing and sweating. Not as many smiles in the ring. Poor horses look rung out.

We were going to go down and haul horses there tomorrow but now it is forcast to be 94 or hotter. So I am going to haul both stallions on Sunday morning when it is cool and get them set up. The first show in April was freezing with hail and snow, and this one is HOT. Maybe I am too old to show.

It's definitely warm out there but I fussed so much about our lousy

winter, spring and the late late start to summer I will not complain.

We're close enough to the ocean that we do get a marine breeze

during the day and it's a life saver plus the house is air conditioned.

'Kids' are hot and testy and just walking around the pasture looking

bored as can be and looking for mischief to get into.

We're new to using hot wire. Our fence is not putting out

much to deter bored horses from testing them, just because they can.

I read that dry soil shorts out the grounds which causes the lack of zap,

so now I'm watering the ground posts, too, as well as freshening the kids

with cool water....... Winter will be here soon enough........

Anyone see the gorgeous moon????

Hot, but gorgeous sunsets out on the Kitsap peninsula. I've never seen anything like it. I was riding the ferry home from a day with my grandkids. It was around 9pm and still in the upper 70s. The lights from my little town are in the distance.

DSCF0139.jpg

and the sun gives a fine farewell as it sinks behind the Olympics

DSCF0148.jpg

a turn back to the east reveals the full moon over Seattle

DSCF0162.jpg

All of that made the heat a bit more bearable. The critters pools are full and the corgi decided to join me in MY swimming pool.

Take care, all, and do what you can to stay cool.
default_wink.png

Central Oregon here....... The temps have been popping on either side of 100 degrees......... and not a dry heat like we are used to either.....

Larry was out weed-whacking this afternoon......Got overheated and came in all wobbly. He sucked down a big mug of water and I walked him into a cool shower......He even admitted he appreciated me being there, so I know he wasn't feeling well.

The shower and drinking the water helped A LOT.

Our problem is we live in an older farm house without air conditioning, just some fans running 24/7. We've had our watering hoses running all day keeping the troughs filled and spraying down horses.......... We have 14 horse troughs.

Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter.

Yes, this sucks!!!

The horses are doing ok, getting turned out at night and then sleeping in the barn during the hot day. Morgan, my stallion was actually nickering at me affectionately when I went to check on him. Probably thought I was bringing him a nice cold popsicle.

My poor Saints don't like it though. I made a little video of them when it was 92F:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNDn-zUKxnI

It's been at least 102F lately.
default_new_shocked.gif

Right now they are in crated my bedroom which is the only room with a window shaker air conditioner.
default_smile.png

Today, we are still breaking records here...
default_giveup.gif
consist 105 today! More of the same tomorrow!
default_new_shocked.gif
My car (outdoor) thermometer read 109 in one parking lot today... Thankfully, the fires in outlying areas appear to be out. Our minis and dogs are enjoying their fans ...my daughter has been sprinkling them with the plant watering can. I keep teasing her that the minis might start growing, if she keeps it up!

Love the St. Bernards some one posted...beautiful dogs...I bet they would love to roll in some snow about now! As soon as we hose down our dogs, they shake off the water and roll in the dirt...Can that really feel good?
default_wacko.png

Feel bad for folks and horses trying to show in this...we have friends fishing bass tournaments this weekend, even out on the water, it is still way too hot. We sure got spoiled by a mild June/July... Hang in there on the west side...I know anything over 90 is miserable over there. Stay cool!
default_488.gif
~ Becky

It's been hot here, too, but not unbearable... for me... since I'm a Phoenix native and I'm too busy grooming dogs in my cool parlour to try to show horses now. I haven't even gotten a tan this summer! I don't so much care for the higher humidity here, but it's not horrendous like it was living in Florida. Just think, soon it'll be freezing again.
default_wacko.png

Last edited by a moderator:
It is so hot and now today it will be very very humid also. Darrell the video of the Saints is great. Actually when the one is snorting I started crying because he sounded an awful lot like my am and pm greetings from my shortpig. Always a very soft very tender grunting sequence. Oh I sure do miss my shortpig. My horses have held up well during this heat. The dogs have swimming pools to get in and cool off. Have hosed the horses. Of course as Jimmy hates water except for drinking he hasn't been the happiest horse in the world. Setup the sprinkler for the girls and they just stand and take it. Duckie is part water spaniel anyway.

I just got back from a trip down to Salem this weekend....headed out of Olympia at around 11:30 on Friday.....and made it as far as Woodland/LaCenter....and darn it if the freeway didn't get shut down to fires.....closed both sides of the freeway.........so there I sat in my little roadster with the top down....stopped...stuck next to a big rig....... finally turned off the engine, put the top up (I figured, ok, it has to be close to 100 degrees.......)....so had to get in some shade. Got sick of sitting in the car......we were stuck on a bridge (which is one my fears in life)......and when the fire truck tankers would squeez by us, the whole bride shook.....yikes!!! Later that evening on the news, I think it was 103 or so in that area?

To make it even worse, I got out of the car & looked over the edge of the bridge (one must face their fears, right)....and low and behold, down below was a nice beach /sandy area & the river.....all sorts of people playing in the water, there was even a rope swing........... of course I had to pee like a racehorse also, but couldn't do anything about that either.......

After over 2 hours of being stopped on the freeway, we finally got to get moving, so I still had to drive to Salem and there was absolutely no way I was stopping until I got to my Dad's.......finally got there around 4:30........ now mind you my trip usually takes only 2 1/2 hours at the most.....but needless to

say I made it to Dad's.....a little tired & withered from the heat, but atleast I had some water in the car........and I know that trip will be the last trip I take

where I don't put a book in my car....what a waste of a great 2 hours I could have been reading!!!

...down below was a nice beach /sandy area & the river.....all sorts of people playing in the water, there was even a rope swing........... of course I had to pee like a racehorse
I'm so sorry Valerie, but I couldn't help but take this out of context! When I read this, my monitor broke the line of text after "racehorse," and I scrolled down quickly in disbelief -- whew!!!

It is so hot and now today it will be very very humid also. Darrell the video of the Saints is great. Actually when the one is snorting I started crying because he sounded an awful lot like my am and pm greetings from my shortpig. Always a very soft very tender grunting sequence. Oh I sure do miss my shortpig. My horses have held up well during this heat. The dogs have swimming pools to get in and cool off. Have hosed the horses. Of course as Jimmy hates water except for drinking he hasn't been the happiest horse in the world. Setup the sprinkler for the girls and they just stand and take it. Duckie is part water spaniel anyway.

Oh, man.... I'm sorry to hear about Shortpig.
default_sad.png
That's too bad.

How did you do in the electrical storm Saturday night? It was spectacular here. But a couple hits were within a mile or so... that's too close! My neighbors came back to their house on Sunday and found that some pictures had fallen off the walls from the rumbles.

Daryl

Oh, man.... I'm sorry to hear about Shortpig.
default_sad.png
That's too bad.

How did you do in the electrical storm Saturday night? It was spectacular here. But a couple hits were within a mile or so... that's too close! My neighbors came back to their house on Sunday and found that some pictures had fallen off the walls from the rumbles.

Daryl

Yeah I miss Shortpig alot. He went peacfully and that I am very glad for.

I got thru the horrid electrical storm fine. Everyone was fine and no signs of fear or constant running from the group but my biggest worries were for Koda off by himself in a strange place without his Dad to snuggle up to. But as some had said it is time for him to grow up and be a man. It will be nice to have him come home after his training. Until then I will worry and miss him. Hope yours are all doing well. My big strong tough Jerry Lee was terrified during the storm.

Crabby-Chicken said:
My daughter and I went to Evergreen and it was awful..... Saw Annette, LoriG Leia and Dorthy Whiteman. And they were all showing and sweating. Not as many smiles in the ring. Poor horses look rung out.
Oh. My. Lord. The heat was bloody AWFUL!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_frusty.gif
Spanaway has lovely hot water wash racks and about the only time they were getting used was at midnight. I kept thinking I was being a wimp and surely it couldn't really be that bad but after bathing Kody at 1AM and having him still dry completely in about fifteen minutes without a cooler and then running out Saturday night at 3:45AM to rescue a padded lawnchair from the sudden downpour and realizing that I was warm enough to sweat in a thin tshirt...nope, it really was that bad!

I've been back East in a thunderstorm and let me tell you, this felt startlingly similar. It was a warm rain and the air wrapped around you like a caress as the wild lightning streaked across the sky and thunder shook the showbarn. Veeeery different from our usual storms of cold rain and chilly cloud-cover.

I think if I had not thought to bring a fan for Kody's stall and we hadn't had AC in the RV I might have had to pack it up and go home. I know it gets this hot routinely in a lot of places but then again you guys have central air to deal with it. We don't! The arena was like a sauna and the poor judges were nearly passing out (literally in one case!) since they never got a chance to leave, unlike the rest of us. I felt so bad for them.

Off to google how hot it really got! I never had a radio on so had no idea it had been record-setting.

Leia

Well I was at Evergreen show, and I was CAMPING IN MY LITTLE TENT during the storm!
default_whistling.gif

It was very loud and ground shaking out there. The wind came up a bit and then the rain started. My tent did hold up well. I was wide awake and decided that I would get up for a restroom run and check on the horses. They were all fine, resting and laying down for the most part. As I was returning to the tent, I realized just how TALL the trees were that I was camped near. I spent the next couple of hours thinking about lightning hitting one of them and the tree falling on me. Or else lightning would hit the tree and travel through the ground and electrocute me. Joy. I left my lantern on and read my magazine, as I knew that sleep was a long ways from possible.

However we all survived it! None the worse for wear!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back