Nutrition Help!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Janxaee

Reaction score
Hello all & Happy New Year!

I am new to this forum and relatively new to minis. I own a 10 year old 29.5" mare, "WF Huskers Afterglow" aka Glow and a 2007 30" mini stallion "Reflections Yes I am CBY" aka Sam. I've decided to start getting our butts in shape and begin learning to drive! My minis each get 1/4 cup Gro n' Win AM & PM and free choice orchard grass hay. I'm thinking lack of exercise AND free choice hay got us to the obese state we are in now.....my question is...what diet would you follow to get us OUT of it? We started lunging and ground driving basics yesterday, slow at first of course to build up. I also started to stall them and ration hay--gave them a flake each and both had about 1/2 flake left over. I am open to trying anything--I've been trying to research nutritional info for minis but info is SO varied out there---I'm not sure if I should be adding alfalfa, beet pulp, oats, a complete feed, leaving gro n' win, etc etc! I'm assuming neither need the added calories. Any help is GREATLY appreciated. Here are photos from this morning....now, I know they are in winter fuzzies but look at Sam's dropped belly!!

389.jpg

405.jpg

Photo credit to Azariah Miniatures, this was Sam a few years back.

sam2.jpg

Glow:

404.jpg

396.jpg

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice, but if it were me..

I'd just keep up the exercise and not change the feed during the winter. I don't know how cold it gets where you are. I free feed mine hay in the winter just so they stay warm. It's so hard to tell in their winter woolies, so just wait 'till spring clip/shed and adjust from there. In the spring I start weighing their hay about 1.5-2.5percent per body weight. Of course mine aren't show horses, so I don't worry too much if they are a little roundish LOL!

Your horses look good to me! Very shiney and healthy looking. Good Luck!

Welcome to the forum!

I hate to give much weight loss advice because of it being winter and the coats really can fool you. But my best advice is to weigh the food. You can find a food scale for humans and you can weigh the grain with that and the hay you can buy a fish scale and you can use a bag to put the hay in and weigh it. I saved a flake a day by weighing the hay. Free choice isn't terrible but my minis would be chunky butts, I was just tossing out 3 flakes for my 3 minis twice a day but when you are paying $12 a bale saving a flake a day just give yous another day of that bale. 2 of my minis are on hay alone, one is 31" and the other is 34" and I'm giving them each 6 lbs of hay a day. My other is 33" and gets .6 lb of PrimeGLO and 6 lbs of hay a day. Mine are looking great, but I always monitor their weight especially the ones who aren't getting any grain. Yours if they are obese you may just try and feed them only hay and not worry about the grain. I'm feeding orchard grass as well. Just be sure they have a vitamin and mineral block available to them.

I would put your two horses on the Purina Wellsove feed. It's 12% protein and 1% fat with a good quality hay. A dry lot would be great for turn out and not pasture. A good exercise plan would also be a great idea. Once the weight comes off and you want them where you want them I would switch them over to the Purina mini horse/pony feed for maintence.

Have you felt their ribs for fat cover?

Based on that would help me decide what direction I would need to take. I weigh my hay. I use the same feed as you do.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with the plan of doing little to no change during the winter. The winter often makes them look worse than they are. And depending on where you live, that extra layer of fat will help them thrive during even the coldest days of the winter. None of the pics you've shared show me a really obese horse. Increasing exercise is always a great idea but again, during winter months, you have to be careful not to stress their legs and joints by doing too much work on really hard surfaces like frozen ground. If you have an indoor arena with soft footing, you'll be able to do more. In fact, I'm looking into finding an arrangement where I can find such a place to work a couple of my girls this year (I'd rent time as I don't own one myself).

This time of year, I have learned to relax a bit about their weight overall.

P.S. Welcome from Maryland!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't see overweight - I see a good winter weight. Depending on where you live, I would just stay the course and increase their excercise.

They look in good weight for the time of year, to me. Have you any way of weighing them- I used to use the feed store scales!! Then I used my small animal vet- which is worth doing just for the looks you get- now I use the HUGE scales at my equine vet. Once or twice a year is plenty.

They get so very little feed that you really can't cut back on it- you would probably be better off giving them a good vitamin and mineral free choice block, but that is your call.

I would start the driving training and see where you are in a month- you would be surprised how quickly you and they get in shape- but surely the mare is in foal?? This would make a big difference.

I'm getting such great advice, thank you everyone!

They look in good weight for the time of year, to me. Have you any way of weighing them- I used to use the feed store scales!! Then I used my small animal vet- which is worth doing just for the looks you get- now I use the HUGE scales at my equine vet. Once or twice a year is plenty.

They get so very little feed that you really can't cut back on it- you would probably be better off giving them a good vitamin and mineral free choice block, but that is your call.

I would start the driving training and see where you are in a month- you would be surprised how quickly you and they get in shape- but surely the mare is in foal?? This would make a big difference.
I've always wondered how you would go about weighing them! lol. I do have a vet clinic close that I use and I'm sure they have a scale...I'll have to ask if I can use it. I also should have added that Glow was a broodmare but had a rough time foaling her last time and they damaged her cervix pulling the foal out.....they had not been able to get her in foal for years regardless of what they tried....which is how I got such a wonderful little mare in my life
default_smile.png

I'm sure you'll get lots of advice, but if it were me..

I'd just keep up the exercise and not change the feed during the winter. I don't know how cold it gets where you are. I free feed mine hay in the winter just so they stay warm. It's so hard to tell in their winter woolies, so just wait 'till spring clip/shed and adjust from there. In the spring I start weighing their hay about 1.5-2.5percent per body weight. Of course mine aren't show horses, so I don't worry too much if they are a little roundish LOL!

Your horses look good to me! Very shiney and healthy looking. Good Luck!

Thank you! I am in PA and we have had a very mild winter thus far *knock on wood* but getting a scale was definately on my mind!

Welcome to the forum!

I hate to give much weight loss advice because of it being winter and the coats really can fool you. But my best advice is to weigh the food. You can find a food scale for humans and you can weigh the grain with that and the hay you can buy a fish scale and you can use a bag to put the hay in and weigh it. I saved a flake a day by weighing the hay. Free choice isn't terrible but my minis would be chunky butts, I was just tossing out 3 flakes for my 3 minis twice a day but when you are paying $12 a bale saving a flake a day just give yous another day of that bale. 2 of my minis are on hay alone, one is 31" and the other is 34" and I'm giving them each 6 lbs of hay a day. My other is 33" and gets .6 lb of PrimeGLO and 6 lbs of hay a day. Mine are looking great, but I always monitor their weight especially the ones who aren't getting any grain. Yours if they are obese you may just try and feed them only hay and not worry about the grain. I'm feeding orchard grass as well. Just be sure they have a vitamin and mineral block available to them.

Thank you for the info---I actually ordered last week one of those snack size slow feeding hay bags just to help eliminate some of the waste...they are such picky little porkers =) I didnt really want to cut down on hay for that reason of it being winter and when I had them out 24/7 it was not really an option as they were also out with my babydolls and pygmys....and they would definately put up a fuss if I decided to ration their hay...how dare I!?
default_smile.png
I Will be weighing hay & grain as soon as I get a scale! =)

I would put your two horses on the Purina Wellsove feed. It's 12% protein and 1% fat with a good quality hay. A dry lot would be great for turn out and not pasture. A good exercise plan would also be a great idea. Once the weight comes off and you want them where you want them I would switch them over to the Purina mini horse/pony feed for maintence.

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately at this time I don't have a dry lot...I've been trying to think how I could make one at my house but it's not seeming feesible with the way our darn property drains! I had been thinking about Purina but I had heard from here that some people's horses didn't do so well on it....trial and error I suppose? What type of hay do you feed? It sounds like a lot of people here feed alfalfa mixes and I'm not sure if I am feeding what they need----so many choices!!!

Have you felt their ribs for fat cover?

Based on that would help me decide what direction I would need to take. I weigh my hay. I use the same feed as you do.

Hi, I did today and truthfully with all that fur I couldn't feel a darn thing so not sure if that's fat or just 50lbs of HAIR lol. what type of hay do you use? would you consider using an alfalfa mix or leave them on the orchard grass? I see a lot of people use alfalfa mixes here and I'm not sure why they choose that over orchard grass other then for added protein and nutrients....how many cups (or other weight measurement) would you feed of the gro n' win to these guys? Thank you!!

I tape measure my guys over the course of the year at the heart girth. Then I can tell if they go up and down. If you photographed my two guys they would look huge in their winter fur like your guys, but if you get your fingers down into the hair, you can feel that they are in good winter weight. Between the tape measure and finger "feel" over the ribs, and topline, I can make adjustments on the feed depending on what I find.

My one boy has about 4 inches or more of fur and he looks huge, then when it rains and everything goes flat i realize he is in decent flesh for winter. My guys get heaviest fur under the belly which makes them look like they are pregnant geldings. I feed fine grass hay and supplement with 32% enrich supplement and I add a bit of ground flax too. I sometimes use remission when I feel they are putting on too much weight, a problem when they get even a little bit of grass, but right now they are holding decent weight this mild winter.

Hope this helps. Don't let the yak hair do the talking. LOL. PS, since I switched my hay to a fine grass hay, we have no waste at all, they clean up every hair. I am thinking of getting some busy snacker hay feeder, but they are so pricy, still thinking on that one.

I don't see overweight - I see a good winter weight. Depending on where you live, I would just stay the course and increase their excercise.

Thanks.....I'm more concerned with Sam then Glow....he had a dropped "hay belly" going into winter. I just don't know how you get them into the wonderful shape that your pictures show! I'm hoping I get on the right track with the exercise and the pounds will melt off =)

I tape measure my guys over the course of the year at the heart girth. Then I can tell if they go up and down. If you photographed my two guys they would look huge in their winter fur like your guys, but if you get your fingers down into the hair, you can feel that they are in good winter weight. Between the tape measure and finger "feel" over the ribs, and topline, I can make adjustments on the feed depending on what I find.

My one boy has about 4 inches or more of fur and he looks huge, then when it rains and everything goes flat i realize he is in decent flesh for winter. My guys get heaviest fur under the belly which makes them look like they are pregnant geldings. I feed fine grass hay and supplement with 32% enrich supplement and I add a bit of ground flax too. I sometimes use remission when I feel they are putting on too much weight, a problem when they get even a little bit of grass, but right now they are holding decent weight this mild winter.

Hope this helps. Don't let the yak hair do the talking. LOL. PS, since I switched my hay to a fine grass hay, we have no waste at all, they clean up every hair. I am thinking of getting some busy snacker hay feeder, but they are so pricy, still thinking on that one.
Hi, I did think about measuring my guys....I did measure Sam the other day to somewhat get an idea of harness sizing. I was not happy with this hay shipment and they definately do not gobble it up like they did when I trailered them to my trainers yesterday---they didn't leave a scrap behind.....that's why I was thinking about switching to another type of hay but it seems so varied here in regards to feeding alfalfa vs grass! You ladies (and I'm sure there are a few gentlemen) are a wealth of information!

I love the Purina Mini Horse and Pony feed. They don't need to eat as much of it to get all the vitamins and minerals. My once overweight full-size mare is on it now too and has never looked better! And I have noticed much less waste with a fine grass hay, my mini is picky about her hay too. I'm feeding Bermuda grass hay and she loves it.

IMO just keep them on the orchard, or at least some type of grass hay. Alfalfa is good for broodmares and growing horses or those who need the extra calories like training horses but with yours not needing to gain any weight I would avoid alfalfa. Alfalfa is like crack to horses who aren't using the extra energy that alfalfa provides, and they eat it like its candy.

I was not happy with the Purina feed after the first few months feeding it. I had one that his coat lost its shine, he started getting depressed and wasn't performing well. I was giving him double the amount then what I am giving now of the PrimeGLO and he was getting only 3 lbs of hay a day, so his grain got cut in half but his hay doubled. He also went competely off the mini feed and paying a $700 vet bill later to find out all he wanted was a different feed he is competely fine. I highly recommend consider about just taking them off the grain and let them have the hay, especially if you continue free choice with the slow feeder bag. Horses that need the grain are those who are breeding, young or growing, or training horses and those who need those calories. I give mine a Pro-Vita-Min tub made by ADM and my horses love it and one lasts me a couple of months. So mine who don't get grained still receive those vitamins and minerals thru the tub.

http://www.admani.com/horse/Products/Horse%20Pro%20Vita%20min%2020%20Tub.htm

Hi ,

everyone has so many different ideas on feeding ...my expierence is that only you and your horse know what is best ...It took me about 3 years to find the right combination of food , it definatly wasnt what others recomended , or would do ...but for us its working ... every season you might have to re think your food plan as I do .... I live where it gets very cold , and I have ASPC AMHR horses , and i believe they are more forgiving then the smaller ones we can feed quite a bit here without a weight problem. The ASPC horses look beautiful all year round , even in ther fuzz ...this is why I love them. One thingI will say is that I love feeding my grass hay out of hay nets , it gives them something to do all day long , and keeps them warm, I never toss out the idea of NOT letting them have grass hay during the day and night... they need this to keep their gut healthy and happy : )

I hope you find your perfect combo : )

cute horsey

JMS Miniatures said:
1325456709[/url]' post='1437097']IMO just keep them on the orchard, or at least some type of grass hay. Alfalfa is good for broodmares and growing horses or those who need the extra calories like training horses but with yours not needing to gain any weight I would avoid alfalfa. Alfalfa is like crack to horses who aren't using the extra energy that alfalfa provides, and they eat it like its candy.

I was not happy with the Purina feed after the first few months feeding it. I had one that his coat lost its shine, he started getting depressed and wasn't performing well. I was giving him double the amount then what I am giving now of the PrimeGLO and he was getting only 3 lbs of hay a day, so his grain got cut in half but his hay doubled. He also went competely off the mini feed and paying a $700 vet bill later to find out all he wanted was a different feed he is competely fine. I highly recommend consider about just taking them off the grain and let them have the hay, especially if you continue free choice with the slow feeder bag. Horses that need the grain are those who are breeding, young or growing, or training horses and those who need those calories. I give mine a Pro-Vita-Min tub made by ADM and my horses love it and one lasts me a couple of months. So mine who don't get grained still receive those vitamins and minerals thru the tub.

http://www.admani.co...%2020%20Tub.htm
Thanks for the info! Definitely going to call around to local feed stores to find the vitamin tub
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back